PDA

View Full Version : dont know what fmic to get

Jason84
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
well ive been looking around alot.. the only bigger decent looking fmics are greddy evolution motorsports and racetech. now greddy cores i know aernt really the best from tests ive seen. they were one of the lower rated cores.

but how good is the evolution one? ive got a reiger RS4 bumper will eventually be going to a oem RS4. so i will probably have to make drop brackets. anybody have pics of one already done ?

the one thing i dont like about the racetech is it looks like a modified ebay core.. and also how it angles in hardcore at the bottom to me that would probably look weird behind the bumper.

is there any other really nice kits out there that im missing? im ready to just order a core and do it up myself...

Ray Khan
10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I think the Racetek is the best off the shelft kit out there.

Jason84
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
also im going to be running a 034 IIc setup and a GT2871 elim. also got 60lb injectors and a fuel pump.

b00st
10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Jason84
well ive been looking around alot.. the only bigger decent looking fmics are greddy evolution motorsports and racetech. now greddy cores i know aernt really the best from tests ive seen. they were one of the lower rated cores.

but how good is the evolution one? ive got a reiger RS4 bumper will eventually be going to a oem RS4. so i will probably have to make drop brackets. anybody have pics of one already done ?

the one thing i dont like about the racetech is it looks like a modified ebay core.. and also how it angles in hardcore at the bottom to me that would probably look weird behind the bumper.

is there any other really nice kits out there that im missing? im ready to just order a core and do it up myself...

i'd say the EVOMS FMIC is the best outta the bunch you've listed. greddy's is not that good. and racetec is ok. my brother runs the racetec FMIC on his B6...i run the EVOM FMIC on my B5. i have an RS4 front bumper as well. but i wasn't able to drop the FMIC before i put the bumper on....really sux. its been bugging me ever since.

but if i'd have to pick....the evolution racewerks would be the one...but this comes with a new rebar notch for the fmic. but i'd say that would be the best, then EVOMS FMIC.

Ray Khan
10-11-2006, 12:46 PM
the EVOMS is too small for a big turbo. The racetek with the dominator core is the way to go for an off the shelf kit. The APR is nice too but most don't like the way it looks.

B5Beast
10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Most def. Racetec for BT.

sean1.8t
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jason84
also im going to be running a 034 IIc setup and a GT2871 elim. also got 60lb injectors and a fuel pump.

man, 60lb injectors and a upgraded fuel pump eh? you must be aiming for some pretty big numbers there?

and i say the ER one. or the racetek

MR VTEC
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
er competition core
i seen the logs...
run a search on it...

b00st
10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
i musta missed something on the dominator core. didn't know there were options. my bro has had his for a year now....and i wouldn't say his is better than EVOMS...but i guess i missed the thread regarding the dominator core.

i'd still pick the ER FMIC.

nAUDI
10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
if your going through all that, why not go for a gt30/35, or at least a full gt2871r instead of the eliminator

nizmosx
10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
my greddy seems to be just perfect. So was austins (dvs 2.7t) on his pes powered 330 hp car.

dont see why all the bashing is going on.

People will ultimately tell you that what they are running on their car is the best. Fact of the matter is all of your choices were good choices. The greedy i believe is the only one out of the three that is not a bar and plate intercooler.

You stated you that those three LOOK the best. I think you need to look into what will perform the best when putting together your kit and intercooler package.

In some scenerios, if you plan on going bt with stand alone you might want to wait and get the ER competition unit rather than their standard core.

just my 0.2 cents.

onemoremile
10-11-2006, 02:27 PM
there have been several comparisons from folks replacing the greddy with a better unit. the greddy isn't all that great. see if you can get your hands on the Evolution Racewerks unit. otherwise get the Racetec.

i don't understand why someone would invest that much without going with a full GT2871R. that eliminator housing is going to be the weak link in the system. see if you can get your hands on an APR exhaust manifold and cat and then you can bolt up the real deal GT2871R and enjoy greater efficiency. running a big turbo on a tiny engine is all about efficiency. you've got to make every little bit of exhaust gas count.

2K1Ultrasport
10-11-2006, 02:43 PM
http://www.tyrolsport.com/sidemount.htm

might wanna take a look at that.
they recently came out with a B5 model.

MR VTEC
10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
nothing new about that upgraded side mount.
Do you think that the cooler would be in an optimal location for max air flow?
Not knocking it because i heard it performs well but I have yet to talk to some one that actual has one on there car.
Then throw in the $799 or what ever price tag and you could have a fmic.
Just my 2 cents

2K1Ultrasport
10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
based on their tests it seems the placement doesn't really affect airflow.
i do like the idea of having it in the stock location. also with most fmics you're gonna have to cut out the bumper or get a new bumper yadda yadda.
i have wondered why no one on AZ has this sidemount.
i've heard of a few local guys who have it and love it.
i too would like to see some more personal experience posts.

Ray Khan
10-11-2006, 03:19 PM
didn't know the ER stuff was available left. It looked good in the pics I saw from development. I would love to see the info on it.

I just looked and it doesn't look like ER has a B5 product out yet.

BranCKY3
10-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by b00st
i musta missed something on the dominator core. didn't know there were options. my bro has had his for a year now....and i wouldn't say his is better than EVOMS...but i guess i missed the thread regarding the dominator core.

i'd still pick the ER FMIC.

I never saw any other threads regarding the Dominator core besides the annoucement that it exists. I remember than Overspun posted a thread saying that Racetec made it, but it was a picture of the core that was sent to me, so I think I have the only one. [:D]

I have a 2871r elim and my intake temps never exceed 35*C on a hot hot summer day, normally they will stay right at 33* on a 3rd gear pull in 90* weather. It didn't fit well with the normal Racetec piping and my stock bumper needed to be cut up, but it was worth it!

BranCKY3
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
i don't understand why someone would invest that much without going with a full GT2871R. that eliminator housing is going to be the weak link in the system. see if you can get your hands on an APR exhaust manifold and cat and then you can bolt up the real deal GT2871R and enjoy greater efficiency. running a big turbo on a tiny engine is all about efficiency. you've got to make every little bit of exhaust gas count.

Mine seems to be doing fine... my CAPS times are faster than APR Stage 3+, and my car trapped at 108mph on 96ish octane on my first tune.

Euro
10-11-2006, 04:13 PM
When you all say that you would have to cut/ mod a bumper for fitment... How much do you have to mess with it? Is it noticable?

Even with an Aftermarket bumper? RS4, Kerscher, Reiger Etc. I would tend to think that they have a bit more space for an FMIC. meaning not having space issues. maybe Im wrong. [confused]

How much of a problem is fitment with a Front mount regarding the size of them all?

Jason84
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
i just bought my stuff from ATP i just got there manifold and turbo with install kit.

just wana get the 034 on before anything should be here early next week.

Euro
10-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Race Tec is the cheaper than the rest of the bunch... I found it for $850 shipped if that matters I think its a plus.

the Evo is alot IMO $1300-ish, but maybe you get what you pay for?

Greddy is like $1025... eh.

Greddy prices? (http://greddy.com/products/display/?Category=turbo&SubCategory=21)

Jason84
10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
greddy is 8-900

Ray Khan
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
Mine seems to be doing fine... my CAPS times are faster than APR Stage 3+, and my car trapped at 108mph on 96ish octane on my first tune.

yeah I think what you get from going full T25 housing is faster spool. Top end power from the elims seems good from all the info I've seen.

Jason84
10-11-2006, 05:17 PM
its only a t25? not full T3?

fred2ka4
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I just finished going through the same thing, and this is what I ended up with. There was a GReddy intercooler on the car when I bought it, but it's designed for the stock turbo, not a BT. The piping that comes with the intercooler works fine on the cold side but not on the hot side. (depends on your set-up, and turbo placement) You need to make sure that the fmic kit you are looking into will work with your set-up or you will have to pay more money to have the piping altered. The set-up I have here did not require me to cut the bumper in any way, but I did have to remove some of the tabs from the bumper re-enforcement and I also had to remove the mesh from the side vents on the bumper cover. Here are some pics of my fmic install:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers137.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers134.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers143.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers142.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers146.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers141.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/LasVegasandothers166.jpg

b00st
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
fred whats your piping diameter 2.5"?

i believe my EVOMS is only 2".

Bran what did the RaceTec Dominator FMIC run? my brother got his from Overspun (Nick i think)/SPP. for like 750. but in his case i think you pay for what you get....his is just the normal RaceTec FMIC. i'm going out on a limb here ;) to say your FMIC is more expensive than a GEN 3 RaceTec FMICs?

BranCKY3
10-11-2006, 11:02 PM
It wasn't more expensive that's for sure [:p]

CaSp3r9
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Have you checked out DUH Engineering's FMIC? It's kind of spendy and I've heard they're hard to get ahold of but I like it alot...

fred2ka4
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by b00st
fred whats your piping diameter 2.5"?

i believe my EVOMS is only 2".

The piping on the hot side is 2 1/4" while the piping on the cold side is 2"