PDA

View Full Version : power shifting

20vpower
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
recently my 97 2.8 motor mounts have been acting up i guess... got them replaced from dads mechanic and a few weeks later they seemed to be not working, took it in and sure enough they said the "bolt broke" on the motor mount, so they gave me a free motor mounts and straped them up. now a few weeks after they arernt working again. took it in and complained to them and they said it was because i was power shifting. is power shifting real and can it really effect my mounts...? they also said my motor had too much torque... 12v v6 ... 184 ft. lbs.@ 3000 RPM wayyy too much torque eh? ya ok

TQMB5
10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
i think they are full of shit, i dont think that powershifting can run through brand new motor mounts in a week

Neo1130
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Dude, I have been shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd almost every day... I even do at least a good hard launch every day and my mounts are still great... Mind you I changed them at 83k miles which were the originals and I now have 15k on those.... So yeah, the mounts should stand up to what you throw at them...

BING
10-10-2006, 06:40 PM
call Scott Mockry at www.SJMauto.com and get mounts from him.....The End

20vpower
10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
will the mounts still be 128 if i call him?

20vpower
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
wait a minute 58.... hehe

BING
10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/sjm/022805/wizard.jsp?partner=sjm&clientid=sjm&baseurl=http://www.sjmauto.com/&cookieid=1SZ0PS8IS1X11AL86M&year=1997&make=AU&model=A4-Q-001&category=A&part=Engine+Mount

here is your part

20vpower
10-10-2006, 10:37 PM
should i snub it?

Re5pectThe_Cuz
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
^^ i think your sig is too big

bellofello
10-11-2006, 07:19 AM
yeah the sig's too big, but when I shift hard, it scares me, you hear a big clunk from the rear, I think it's the diff hitting the crossmember or something? A snub should help, as soon as I get some spendimg money I'm getting one put in. I've heard good things.

ActiveMonkey
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I hear the thump of doom aswell. it sucks.

Neo1130
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by bellofello
yeah the sig's too big, but when I shift hard, it scares me, you hear a big clunk from the rear, I think it's the diff hitting the crossmember or something? A snub should help, as soon as I get some spendimg money I'm getting one put in. I've heard good things.

I have the same thump... I am going to swap out the diff mount in back there... Should fix it... Cause if that mount was bad you would definatly get a thump upon take off, even an easy take off...

bellofello
10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Not on take off yet, just on hard 1-2 shifts, and when I shift super hard 2-3 I can still hear it. I'm sure its not detromental to the car, it just sounds really bad. Especially when I have buddies in the car and they hear it and I have to attempt to explain it to people who have no automotive knowlege further than red cars are faster lol.

20vpower
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
ya same but ppl just assume its me dumpin clutch... its just the mounts... any who about the sig, its symbolic because it accents the shitty points of this car, the ****ed up bumper the wrong rotation on the tire, the off color fender and all the paint chips on hte hood. sooner or later it will all be fixed, and be ready to be sold for a 1.8tq, only then will i change the size of sig. teeehe

Neo1130
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Also, if one mount is bad it could put strain on the others and make them crap out pre-maturly... Get them ALL check out... Three motor mounts, two tranny mounts and the rear diff should all be looked at...

mike-2ptzero
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
LOL, do they even know what "power shifting" means?

bellofello
10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
what is your definition of "power shifting"? I'm honestly not exactly sure. Is it just shifting super quick? or holding the gas in while you change gears? I've never really known what the person means when they say "power shifting".

mike-2ptzero
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
what is your definition of "power shifting"? I'm honestly not exactly sure. Is it just shifting super quick? or holding the gas in while you change gears? I've never really known what the person means when they say "power shifting".

Pretty sure "power shifting" is when you shift without using the clutch, it is rev matching to get into the next gear.

Speed shifting is just shifting hard and fast.

Flat shifting is shifting without lifting off the throttle.

98a4
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Change your sig now, not when its fixed.

Mods dont want sigs because they have to bitch at people to change the size...

Rosati
10-13-2006, 06:55 AM
12v Cant you get a better picture as your sig anyway?

bellofello
10-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Pretty sure "power shifting" is when you shift without using the clutch, it is rev matching to get into the next gear.

Speed shifting is just shifting hard and fast.

Flat shifting is shifting without lifting off the throttle.

That makes sense. I get the thump of doom when I speed shift, and flat shift. Haven't tried "power shifting" yet on my car, I don't want to feck anything up. I've done it on some write offs and such to know how, just not on my baby!

mike-2ptzero
10-13-2006, 09:25 AM
That makes sense. I get the thump of doom when I speed shift, and flat shift. Haven't tried "power shifting" yet on my car, I don't want to feck anything up. I've done it on some write offs and such to know how, just not on my baby!

The "thump" is from the rear diff mount hitting the frame. Adding stiffer engine mounts and tranny mounts solve that issue.

bellofello
10-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Yup, that's the first thing on my list when I get some cashola for my car. APR snub and full motor/tranny/diff mount kit.

Wholsea
10-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Truthfully, power shifting isn't that bad, so long as you get your RPMs right.

A lot easier going up while power shifting than going down...

The car is "supposed" to be able to do this seamlessly without causing damage to the tranny... Its why we have syncros for cryn' out loud...

To power shift, start off in first gear, run the gear to about where you would shift, without pushing the cluch, pull the car out of gear and present the shifter to 2nd gear, as long as you get it before the RPMs drop below where 2nd gear will catch, it should just pop into gear and you can continue on...

To power shift down, you have to rev the engine up to get it to the RPM that the gear you are going to will accept. I've only done this a couple of times because for some of the lower gears you really REALLY have to rev the engine up to match for the shift, and I don't like doing that.

But I power shift up all the time. If you get the speed just right, the car will shift almost like an auto tranny, it'll slide out of one gear, right into the other w/o any jerking or anything...

audithisworld
10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
just call turbo supercharged lou in jersey and put hockey pucks in it!

bellofello
10-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Wholsea, yeah its not hard, but if you get it wrong your in for some trouble. I can't imagine what audi would charge for a trans overhaul!

audithisworld, what do you mean lol?

onemoremile
10-15-2006, 08:09 AM
some of you guys are just destroying your synchros. to each his own.

Neo1130
10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
some of you guys are just destroying your synchros. to each his own.

Yep, and that is why semi trucks these days don't go over 500k miles with a single rebuild! [rolleyes]

onemoremile
10-15-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah... compare your transmission to a giant allison semi tranny. apples to oranges, i think not. more like apples to bowling balls.

the more you learn about synchros the less you'll want to abuse them. they do take some time to match the shaft speeds. a heavy flywheel just exacerbates the problem. forcing them causes undue wear and tear and shortens their life dramatically. learning how to rev match (heel-toe) the downshifts takes the synchros right out of the equation. using the clutch is still a damn good idea unless you have a dog box or straight cut gears. helical gearsets just don't like to be yanked around.

onemoremile
10-15-2006, 10:31 AM
i just noticed that you are planning on installing a gt2x turbo. i guess if you've made it this far and still plan on installing an ATP sourced half-assed turbo system like that then my arguments are wasted. a gt25 or gt28 would be much better suited for that same power range and be more efficient and more durable. again, to each his own.

Neo1130
10-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
i just noticed that you are planning on installing a gt2x turbo. i guess if you've made it this far and still plan on installing an ATP sourced half-assed turbo system like that then my arguments are wasted. a gt25 or gt28 would be much better suited for that same power range and be more efficient and more durable. again, to each his own.

And you will also notice that the sig you see is pre-crash when I was a noob...

onemoremile
10-15-2006, 11:21 AM
gotcha. maybe an edit is in order.

bellofello
10-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Also semi tranny's don't have synchros [:D]