PDA

View Full Version : Turbo going out???

SirDaft1
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Guys how can I tell if my turbo is fried?

I've had some weird boost surge every now and then in the car, but today on the way home from work I go to pull out in front of traffic, and the car just seemed to lag. Noticably. I have the APR 93 Chip... so usually it pulls pretty good, but not this time. So for the rest of the way home I tested the RPM's and when it hit 4k RPM's it didnt pull like it usually does. I then roll the passenger side window down to hear the turbo spool, and its SUPER quiet and the DV hardly makes a sound when I closed throttle. Any ideas? The car has roughly 90k on it (stock k03 still in it).

SirDaft1
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
btw- the car IS NOT throwing any CEL's

BING
10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Have you checked ALL hoses for leaks??? pull the hose off the inlet and wiggle turbo shaft for excess play..make sure all clamps are tight..

Neo1130
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SirDaft1
Guys how can I tell if my turbo is fried?

I've had some weird boost surge every now and then in the car, but today on the way home from work I go to pull out in front of traffic, and the car just seemed to lag. Noticably. I have the APR 93 Chip... so usually it pulls pretty good, but not this time. So for the rest of the way home I tested the RPM's and when it hit 4k RPM's it didnt pull like it usually does. I then roll the passenger side window down to hear the turbo spool, and its SUPER quiet and the DV hardly makes a sound when I closed throttle. Any ideas? The car has roughly 90k on it (stock k03 still in it).

I would try a cleaning of your MAF first before you start freaking out...

TQMB5
10-10-2006, 06:42 PM
do you have a boost gauge? if not get one then try and fix it

badassbaldie
10-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Doesn't sound like the turbo. Boost leak and/or MAF sensor as mentioned above. My car started fouling terrible when my K03 went out. You can always check your plugs to see if there is oil in the pistons...

SirDaft1
10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I brought it to Renn-Art today and the guys over there helped me out. They said it was the MAF. Luckily the car threw a CEL today, so we could diagnose it. They reset the ECU and I'll clean out the MAF this week and hopefully that will work. If not... the BT fund is getting dipped into for more maintainence work.

Neo1130
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
More than likely if you throw a CEL for a MAF, you would need a new one... But still try to clean it and see if that works...

AudiForever
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, i'm having somewhat of the same problem. My MAF sensor was bad, so I just replaced it and it fixed everything wrong with my car, the CEL turned off as well. The day after I replaced the MAF sensor, the turbo started seeming like it wasn't working and the CEL turned on. I would get a boost like I normally should, but only after the first acceleration, after that, there was no boost until I turned the car off, and drove it a little bit later. Today, as I left my house, the turbo worked 100% all the way to where I needed to go, but my CEL was still on...? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks