10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
This guy says RUN IT HARD!

What do you guys think?

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

(I found this on vortex)

iowaboostin
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Everyone's got their own opinion.

Mine: drive the car. Don't baby it, don't beat the piss out of it. A lot of manufacturers agree by looking in their owner's manuals. With new cars a lot say to do some pulls.. 10-30mph, 25-50mph, etc.

ExpLlclT
10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
wow this is intresting i wanna no if anyone does this ?

sean1.8t
10-10-2006, 12:15 PM
my brother a master tech says that the easy break in period is completely pointless. he just says drive it normal, no WOT off the line starts or extended periods of time at WOT. then after about 1k drive it how you want and you'll be fine

nizmosx
10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
when i did mine this was my method.

I put in 20w 50 of non synth oil.
Babied the car for 500 miles, changed the oil. (i changed the oil just in case there were little metal peices floating around)

i put in another set of 20w 50 fresh oil and ran it normally for 1500 miles, then changed the oil to a full synthetic.

After i put in the full synthetic, i ran the car normally for the first 500 miles, then i started the break in. I slowly went into full boost then out, in and out. all the motions were very smooth. The reasoning for doing it so smooth and slow is to allow the full motion of the pistons. I did this several times and never hit the throttle abruptly. After another 1000 miles i changed the oil again to full synthetic 5w 30 and let her rip. I have been using 5w 30 since and have had absolutely no problems as of yet.

Usually after you buy a new motor it has already been tested and seen the dyno. I dont think his method is necessary and i dont know if i would personally try it. However, if you buy a short block from the dealer there is a warantee for 1 year and 12k miles. So if you have that warantee i would say go for it.

onemoremile
10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
the mototune guy knows how to break in rings. you really can't argue with success. i roughly followed his routine and my engine is doing very well. i drove 320 miles this morning (8:30 meeting in detroit) with the cruise control set at 80 and averaged 30.4 mpg. not bad for an avant with fat tires. while i've never actually had the compression checked, i do know that you don't get great mileage with bad compression.

Don Supreme
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
^^^ So you are sold on this break in method huh?

b00st
10-10-2006, 01:03 PM
i'm in agreement.

i bought my G35 with 0 miles on it. basically did just that...from once i drove it off the lot. and i think the car runs harder and better than any of the loaners or my friends cars. i haven' been able to go side by side and run someone but you can just feel it. it feels like its faster.

onemoremile
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
it is the only break in method i've ever heard that makes sense.

my rings have about 6k miles on them. on a long highway drive i had a two way average of 38 mpg. not bad for just over 200 miles. i could barely fit 5 gallons in the tank so it was verified. i got 30 mpg today without trying to be conservative at all. i thought i was late and had bad directions. i was flying all over trying to get back on track. it read over 31 before my little detour.

NogaroA4
10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
When I use to build civic motors, thats how we use to break them in. For a fully rebuilt engine, we would get it up to operating temperture, on the dyno, then start adding psi. Never had a problem

IndieRockSteve
10-11-2006, 04:50 AM
From my understanding, all new car engines are broken in prior to being physically installed in the car.

This began as a warranty issue, since proper engine break-in helps the seals and metals properly soak and coat oil and fuel, it prevents many early engine proplems for the customers.

So, yea, do whatever the hell you want with the car at "0" miles, your engine has already been broken in.

As for before this began, I have a feeling it was engine dependent. I know many Corvette owners swore by a specific engine break-in process that was spread by some of the Corvette engineers.

onemoremile
10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
new car engines are not broken in. they are generally run in just a bit to make sure all of the components function correctly. most manufacturers don't actually fire the engine until it is in the car at the assembly plant. then the car is aligned and run around a short test track. i've been in one of the hondas at the marysville assembly plant as it went through the exhaust test, typhoon test, rfi test, and then the test track. that was a very interesting time.

i have spent a huge amount of time working in the automotive quality control arena and spent a lot of time at various engine plants. i've been there for honda, ford, chrysler, gm, and others. not one of those plants has provisions for running all of the engines through a long enough cycle to seat the rings. ford's romeo engine plant is a dump. dirtiest nastiest plant i've ever seen. after walking through that plant i wanted to wipe my feet before going outside.