PDA

View Full Version : TP installed (kinda reviewed)

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 05:08 AM
So it took me around 5 hours... about an hour of that was just breaking and talking etc..

May I say that if you're thinking of adding one to your stock exhaust, it's worth the performance, but not the labor. Mostly since I have to drop the exhaust and probably pull the TP out again to add the exhaust next Feb. I would say that the hardest part was probably getting the bottom nut off on the turbo, and the rear o2 sensor. I also realized in the process that the flex joint on my downpipe has a slight hole, which of course I made bigger, so right now I'm struggling a little bit with some exhaust fumes.

That being said, I love it. It really did make a difference, but mostly in the low end torque range (from 2k - 3k). It also added a lot of throttle response. If you're bored and you want a cheap(er) mod, then go for it.. But my advice would be to buy a TP when you are ready to add an exhaust.

(on a side note... started the car without exhaust connected and without the intake on and it sounded like a diesel semi.[rolleyes] )

sean1.8t
10-10-2006, 06:46 AM
well the 5 hours scares me (i know it's going to be hard cause there is absolutely no room in there) but since im already running a borla cat back it gives me a little more confidence in it back. my testpipe should be here by the end of the week. where did you get your TP?

did you do the antifouler mod?

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 07:18 AM
bought it from a guy here on audizine, it was from renn-art.

you can do the change quicker, i just kind of took my time. I dont have the anti-fouler yet, but ill probably get one eventually. If you need help let me know. once you get the cat out, and replace it with the TP there is a crap load of room.. didnt realize how big that cat actually was..

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 07:37 AM
oh by the way, you're not going to be able to take out the cat without taking the downpipe out. once you get it out, and mount the TP:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/virtualD/tp.jpg

it will slide back in but you have to spin it. there's only one way it will fit.. and only requires common sense. but seriously the hardest part was removing it.. it went in with no problems.

sean1.8t
10-10-2006, 07:55 AM
so you have to unbolt the downpipe. you cant just unbolt the cat directly? i guess that makes sense and will probably make it easier. thanks for the info man. keep up the good mods

badassb5
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Very nice. I'm glad to hear you're happy with it, post up a sound clip if you can. Did it change the tone of the stock exhaust at all?

Poopie
10-10-2006, 08:19 AM
eh I could do it in an hour. =) did you learn the art of attacking the cat to turbo nut from the top? Saves you mucho time instead of hitting them from the bottom. Taking off the wheel and axel shield is key too to getting the bottom bolts off.

sean1.8t
10-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Poopie i tried PMing you but your inbox is full so ill just post it here. not trying to thread jack.. but i see that you know the art of installing the testpipe(mainly the bottom bolts for the tubo and such) i was wondering if you could give me a couple helpfull instructions for it? or is what you said up there ^ pretty much all there is too it?

Poopie
10-10-2006, 08:31 AM
thats about it. If your lower cat bolts are rusted, try using a 1/2 in socket. A swivle and long extensions are a much. A impact gun and impact sockets are the best because they are lower profile.

Chard
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
You can get the cat out from the top...don't have to remove the DP.

TQMB5
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
yea you just need to use the flex joint in your favor... it actually makes it easier b/c you can bolt the TP up to the cat and it is already lined up with the DP, making it easier to get the 3 dp to tp bolts in

d_maniac
10-10-2006, 09:48 AM
any bad smells??

sean1.8t
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TQMB5
yea you just need to use the flex joint in your favor... it actually makes it easier b/c you can bolt the TP up to the cat and it is already lined up with the DP, making it easier to get the 3 dp to tp bolts in

that bold part makes absolutely no sense to me. bolt the testpipe to the cat? im sure you mean turbo

Chard
10-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by d_maniac
any bad smells??

Yeah, you pretty much feel like passing out everytime you come up to a red light with the windows down. I wonder what the long-term affects are...spontaneous hallucinations?

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Yea I'm sure I could have taken it off without taking the DP.. but I had just got home from work then we drove out to the shop so my car was hot for close to 2+ hours. i didnt want to remove the wheel because i was lazy... i said that it was the hardest part.. but it wasn't neccessarily hard.. i was also taking my time.. my buddy kept calling me in to watch old Top Gear videos.. I could have done this in 2 - 3 hours with a scorching hot cat.

The tone changed, mostly because it's deeper with the drilled intake box, and I can definetly tell the turbo is ALOT louder. Spooling has never been so fun.. the smell for me is worse since like I said the flex joint has a hole in it... so when i stop the smell catches up, and billows in from underneath. ill probably just buy another flex joint.. its $50, would save me from coughing until i get the exhaust.

TQMB5
10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by sean1.8t
that bold part makes absolutely no sense to me. bolt the testpipe to the cat? im sure you mean turbo
yea i deffinatly meant turbo, good catch

RudeBwoi
10-10-2006, 01:07 PM
does it sound like its spitting pop corn out the exhaust pipes now? Ive heard they had a less than refined sound to them

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 01:16 PM
no actually, the idle didn't change whatsoever, and it sounds the same as stock.

aRIf
10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
you spent 5 hours to install...

U Suck! [:D]

1 ate T
10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
shut up! i hate you

but seriously.. i jerked around for at least 2 or 3.. remember Arif I called you and Joe was on the phone! GRRR.