PDA

View Full Version : hood prop/shock

GraysonF
10-10-2006, 04:49 AM
just installed my new VIS oem CF hood yesterday, because my old VIS invader hood went to shit. the invader hood was on the car when i bought it, and it didnt have a hood shock, (whatever the eff you call it, the thing that keeps the hood open) any suggestions to where i could get one from other than the stealership? junkyard of course, but there arent any close to me. thanks!

GraysonF
10-10-2006, 05:10 AM
nevermind, found one

fred2ka4
10-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Be careful with those stock hood props. The reason it didn't have one when you bought it, is because the hoods props are valved to support the weight of a stock (heavy) hood, not a light weight cf hood. You could do damage to your new hood, so you should try and find a hood prop that is not valved that hard, or you could have one made.

GraysonF
10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fred2ka4
Be careful with those stock hood props. The reason it didn't have one when you bought it, is because the hoods props are valved to support the weight of a stock (heavy) hood, not a light weight cf hood. You could do damage to your new hood, so you should try and find a hood prop that is not valved that hard, or you could have one made.

what do you have on your car?

EVIL-AUDI
10-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I removed the prop rod from my stock hood and just kept it in the car. Whenever I needed the C/F hood open I would just put it in place.

GraysonF
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
I removed the prop rod from my stock hood and just kept it in the car. Whenever I needed the C/F hood open I would just put it in place.

prop rod as in yo had an older b5 that had rods instead of shocks?

fred2ka4
10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by gfanellia4
prop rod as in yo had an older b5 that had rods instead of shocks?

The rod or shock will open fully when not attached to the hood, so you can just keep it in the trunk, and prop it into place when needed. You can also buy a manual telescoping rod, that can be kept small until you need it, then just open it to the desired height and prop it into place.

EVIL-AUDI
10-11-2006, 04:41 AM
Not exactly rocket science here.