PDA

View Full Version : Bad fan switch?

BoostFrenzy
10-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Did my thermostat and now I can sit and idle awhile @ 100-102c and the electric fan doesn't come on :/

works w/ a/c tho..

Mawhitey
10-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Our cars don't have an electric fan for cooling the engine as such, they rely on the fan driven by the engine to keep the engine cool.

unless the air con is on and then the electric one is there to give the cooling system a helping hand

BoostFrenzy
10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mawhitey
Our cars don't have an electric fan for cooling the engine as such, they rely on the fan driven by the engine to keep the engine cool.

unless the air con is on and then the electric one is there to give the cooling system a helping hand

Incorrect, above the lower radiator hose is a 3 prong fan switch which is supposed to activate the fan high or low speed depending on coolant temp, I believe the A/C runs the fan in low speed...

Either way, it's 75f today and I took a quick drive then returned home and let it idle, the fan cycled just fine, although it's cycle point differs on the coolant temp gauge between 1/2 and a tick past half, so I think my problem is with the coolant temp sensor scaring when it falsely reads too high (black body, known problematic, original?)

Mawhitey
10-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by BoostFrenzy
Incorrect, above the lower radiator hose is a 3 prong fan switch which is supposed to activate the fan high or low speed depending on coolant temp, I believe the A/C runs the fan in low speed...

Either way, it's 75f today and I took a quick drive then returned home and let it idle, the fan cycled just fine, although it's cycle point differs on the coolant temp gauge between 1/2 and a tick past half, so I think my problem is with the coolant temp sensor scaring when it falsely reads too high (black body, known problematic, original?)

[:o] My bad !!