PDA

View Full Version : has anyone changed their automaitc shift knob..?

Euro Avant
10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
It is quite difficiult to find..has anyone found any/?

a4sleepa
10-08-2006, 10:09 AM
dude....as a fellow tip'er I can understand why you'd want to swap it out, but with what? Not some Razzo or other brand of ricer accessories right?

SeanF
10-08-2006, 10:17 AM
do the SPP tip mod if they still have it...

i have seen some do the spp tip mod and put a boot on it, and it looks good [up]

loustylez
10-08-2006, 01:24 PM
got any more info on that sean? i'm tryin to search for what it looks like and such but can't find much.

d_maniac
10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
http://www.supremepowerparts.com/applications/2000-2002_Audi_S4_Quattro_2.7t.aspx/56/5198/_SPP_Tip_Mod

SeanF
10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
its an adapter type deal that lets you use any shift knob that would fit on any manual shifter... pulling up on the knob replaces pushing of a button...

loustylez
10-08-2006, 03:22 PM
wow, thanks for adding even more $ to the list.

i got the black interior w/ wood grain.

$105 - momo wood shift knob
click for full
http://www.momousa.com/images/mids/ctewood.jpg (http://www.momousa.com/images/views/ctewood.jpg)

$70 for the conversion. not bad though. i think this would look slick as hell.

buddy of mine just got a really nice leather center console wrap for his s2000 that covers the carpet. really taught me how small interior upgrades can make a difference.

GraysonF
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
very nice shift knob

a4sleepa
10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I agree although I'm not exactly into the whole wood grain thing. I know alot of peeps have wood in their a4's....I dont know, its just not me. Oh yeah before I get this tip mod....I heard there was some fittment issues...u guys heard anything like that?
I plan on actually using the 1st knob in the spp pic....I think its called momo air or something like that....how much are those momo knobs?

GraysonF
10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
no clue, but i know neuspeed carries a ton of momo stuff.

SeanF
10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
ebay is the best place....

loustylez
10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
i'm installing my tip mod as we speak. having trouble getting the cylinder off under the shift knob (factory). there's a pretty good tutorial on AW i'm looking off of here:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int50.shtml

loustylez
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
ok... slight problem. in a normal manual install, you put this rubber stopper thing up inside the knob - whatever matches the shaft on your car. well, apparently this tip mod doesn't use that. so now i got this rubber stopper stuffed up into the knob and i can't think of any way to get it out. it's keeping the knob from going down far enough to match up with the thing in the picture below.

need ideas please.

the problem is this thing loosely goes up and down now (it sits down of course exposing the shifter shaft in between it and the shift knob.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/int50-dsc01147.jpg

Rosati
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
No Go if its not MOMO

ny02s4
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
from what ive heard Momo knobs are the best fit for Audis' utilizing the "tip mod."

SeanF
10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
just trying to get the rubber plug out of there?

loustylez
10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
i got the rubber plug out. it's on.

just being taken off
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob01.jpg

closeup of the "tip mod". when you take the factory knob off, you get this (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/int50-dsc01149.jpg). this fits over it and allows you to attach the shift knob to this, which pulls up the white plastic piece in the link above. pretty simple mod AFTER you're done with it. it took me forever cuz of that damn plastic thing stuck up in the knob.

http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob03.jpg

installed
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob04.jpg
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob05.jpg
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob06.jpg
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knob07.jpg

you can imagine how you hold it i'm sure. feels great for using tiptronic. you can really get into it. pulling back to downshift feels great. overall i'm very impressed with the momo knob. i didn't know it was italian made. il ike that, i'm italian and i've been there so... it makes me a little extra happy ;)

euro italian liscense plate on the way for the front to cover up my bumper holes. "NO SLICES". get yur history on.

i'll follow this up soon with a post about why it's slightly loose and why it's either that and look clean, or not loose but gab in between the bottom of the knob and the shiny cylinder that goes over the shaft.

loustylez
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
ok, i mentioned above how it's been kinda wiggly and loose. well, it's progressively gotten worse and when i actually went to take it off, it came right off.

here are some pictures to get me started i my explenation. if anyone else out there has done this mod, please chime in.

here's a picture of the tip mod slid on to the shift shaft (or whatever you call it). you can see at the top there's a tiny screw that goes through the top of it, and through the "eye lid" of that white plastic part sticking out. the stock shift knob's button essentially puts something through that eye lid also and lifts it up to let you shift. in red dots i've hilighted these small circles where on the inside of the mod, it actually sticks inward - same diameter as these circles and about 1/8" inward. there's two of these (as you can see) on each "side" of the tip mod that, when slid over the top of the shift shaft, follow their respective slots ON the shaft and keep it from rotating on the y axis. clear as mud?
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knoboff01.jpg

here's the back of the mod. as you can see, one of these little inward things actually broke/pushed through somehow. i saw a piece fall off into the center console, retrieved it and realized what it was. this whole mod is pretty soft/cheap looking aluminum so i'm not sure what to say. so now on the back side of it, there's now only one inward tab thing, because as you can see, now there's a hole. the red circle shows where the other, existing, inward tab is.
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knoboff02.jpg

this is what it looks like with the shift knob simply put on top of it. at the base of it you see the screws (3 of them total) that screw in. the knob itself comes with rubber "caps" that are normally supposed to fit on top of the MANUAL shift shaft where you would then put the knob on to the rubber and screw these screws in to the rubber. it's not hard to tell that this would not work with the tip mod (i'm saying this after trying it first anyway). at first i put the rubber cap on the shift shaft, which essentially shoved it up into the top of the knob, made the knob sit even higher (making a big gap between the base of the knob and the metallic cylinder that sites into the console (look at pics above) exposing the copper looking shift shaft (aka, looks like shit). after spending forever trying to get the rubber cap out of the knob, i then just tried sliding it over and screwing it in that way.
http://www.diandata.com/temp/a4/knoboff03.jpg

now on to the problem...

there's 2 sets of screws that come with the mod, short and slightly longer ones. you use whichever depending on the diameter of the shaft. at first i used the long ones. what i found is when i tightened the knob on, it seemed like it was pushing in too far and actually, in essence, grabbing on to the shift shaft. guess what happened then... it wouldn't lift up. solid as a rock, no wobble, won't lift up.

so i'm thinking ok, i gotta use the small ones. i screw those in and sure enough it will lift up, but there's a little wobble. i've been living w/ that for about a week or so now. i noticed today it had gotten worse and then when i actually went to mess with it, it came RIGHT off.

i'm completely stumped at this point. are the screws at the base of the knob supposed to eat in to the tip mod metal? is that what holds it in? am i supposed to use the big screws or small ones? why did that little piece fall out? i hadn't even done anything but slide it on at that point.

all i can think of is try screwing it in even tighter with the smaller screws this time and see what happens. although last time the same thing happened i think. the more i screwed it in, the tighter the knob got, but then it wouldn't lift up and down.

i'm gonna dick around with this tonight and call SPP tomorrow.

provided i'm not a moron and doing this completely wrong, or i don't find another solution or get help from SPP, i'll be following this up with a suggestion to never waste your time with this cheap shit.

loustylez
11-02-2006, 07:23 PM
i put the stock knob back on. was easy to put back on btw. it seems like the thing is warped now because screwing it in has made it so it won't slide up and down now. those little inward tabs are misaligned or some shit...... i'm sick of dealing with this thing. hopefully i didn't just waste f'ing $60 on a little aluminum dinky little thing.

the screw that goes in across the top of the tip mod is so tiny i don't have anything that fits it. last time i broke a toothpick in half macgyver style. i lost that toothpick so i filed down the pointy end of a shish kabob.

i can't honestly see how this thing can go on any better so i'm saying f'it till i talk to SPP and see what they say. not very pleased so far...

4ringAR
11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
good pictures and details. thanks for being a guinnea pig. :) i dont think i will be doing this for sometime seeing all of the problems you have had with it.

Euro Avant
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
thanks for the write up and pictures. i recall the a.c gear knob on my BM had that problems, but i dont remember how it was fixed...

diegomatrix
11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
i had this installed a while back after doing the ghetto 'black marker tube' tip mod...

it should be a nice fit, at least mine was fine. call spp and they'll help you out w/ the install...

a4sleepa
11-03-2006, 08:12 AM
holy sh** dude see this is why I try to steer clear of the DIY mods...because I'm an idiot. And as an idiot I find ways to f-up even the simplest things but ONLY when it has to do with MY car. To make matters worse, I'm a perfectionist to the "t" when it comes to my cars. Even the slightest bit of DIY cheese (like the gap between the cylinder and the shift boot) will cause me to go into an OCD anxiety attack coupled with severe depression....ahhh f-n SPP

loustylez
11-07-2006, 01:12 PM
haha, i can sense your OCD through your post man ;)

i talked to Eric at SPP today. no questions asked before i even finished explaining everything he had one in the mail already.

good business FTW.

key things he mentioned:
- the knob doesn't need to screw in that tight and you're supposed to use the shorter screws (my momo knob came with longer and shorter ones). all the screws need to do is make a demple in the metal and it will grab, and won't come off. tightening it too much will warp the cylinder (the mod itself) and pop those tabs out, whicih may have happened in my case although i remember it popping out before i even had the knob screwed on.

- you do not use the rubber stopper tings that come w/ the knob. you simply put on the tip mod, put the knob over it, screw the knob on, screw the bottom piece on, and yur done.

- there should be no wobble at all. since one of my tabs fell out, this is probably what caused it. also, tightening it too much caused it to warp and not slide up and down smoothly anymore.

i'll give it another try this time and let you know how it turns out.

tunerb5
11-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Ive been using mine with a few MOMO shift knobs for a few years now and its been working flawlessly.

ny02s4
11-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by loustylez
haha, i can sense your OCD through your post man ;)

i talked to Eric at SPP today. no questions asked before i even finished explaining everything he had one in the mail already.

good business FTW.

key things he mentioned:
- the knob doesn't need to screw in that tight and you're supposed to use the shorter screws (my momo knob came with longer and shorter ones). all the screws need to do is make a demple in the metal and it will grab, and won't come off. tightening it too much will warp the cylinder (the mod itself) and pop those tabs out, whicih may have happened in my case although i remember it popping out before i even had the knob screwed on.

- you do not use the rubber stopper tings that come w/ the knob. you simply put on the tip mod, put the knob over it, screw the knob on, screw the bottom piece on, and yur done.

- there should be no wobble at all. since one of my tabs fell out, this is probably what caused it. also, tightening it too much caused it to warp and not slide up and down smoothly anymore.

i'll give it another try this time and let you know how it turns out.

definitly let us know what happens with the re-install. Im looking to get this mod soon myself.

ny02s4
11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
any updates??

loustylez
11-09-2006, 11:48 PM
haven't got it yet. i won't forget trust me ;) i'm all about documenting something. if it helps 1 person down the road, then it was worth the effort.

EnjoyIncs
11-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Loustylez, could you please take a few measurements of the tip mod shaft for me? Of the total length, outer and inner diameter, length of the top part, the inner and outer diameter of the top part, maybe how far apart those 4 protruding pieces are from each other on the inside, and any thing else you can think of. Any way what I am getting at is that I can draw this part up in like 25 min. in Solid Works if I have enough dimensions. And the machine shop that we work with can make it for like $5 for me. If you do this for me I will send you one for free. And who knows maybe it will be better. If you can think of anything that will make it better you should mention it. I really want to do this mod but from what you are saying I don’t want really want to spend so much.

Thanks

Collin

loustylez
11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
i don't think my pink plastic ruler from art class goes quite small enough to make those measurements ;)

tell me where to pick up one that measures in millimeters or something and i'd be glad to do this for you. office max? target? or do i need a pair of those clamp type things w/ the dial.

i'm hoping to get the new tip mod today so i can install it this weekend. SPP said they had it sent out on tuesday so...

EnjoyIncs
11-10-2006, 07:59 AM
I think office max should have a good ruler that will measure down to a half mm. It should be real cheap. That clamp type things w/ the dial is called a Caliper. Although it would be ideal to use one it’s kind of costly at about $30 at sears. If you know someone that has one I would say use that. Also it’s a little tricky to read.

EnjoyIncs
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
I am honestly wicked excited that you are willing to do this for me. Now if I can just get some one to measure up there evoms heat shield for a 2.8 I can get one made out of ¼ inch thick aluminum and get it covered with military spec heat shelding.

ny02s4
11-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by EnjoyIncs
Loustylez, could you please take a few measurements of the tip mod shaft for me? Of the total length, outer and inner diameter, length of the top part, the inner and outer diameter of the top part, maybe how far apart those 4 protruding pieces are from each other on the inside, and any thing else you can think of. Any way what I am getting at is that I can draw this part up in like 25 min. in Solid Works if I have enough dimensions. And the machine shop that we work with can make it for like $5 for me. If you do this for me I will send you one for free. And who knows maybe it will be better. If you can think of anything that will make it better you should mention it. I really want to do this mod but from what you are saying I don’t want really want to spend so much.

Thanks

Collin

why dont you buy one from SPP measure it out yourself and use it to compare to your "custom made one" and then return it for a refund.

loustylez
11-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by EnjoyIncs
I am honestly wicked excited that you are willing to do this for me. Now if I can just get some one to measure up there evoms heat shield for a 2.8 I can get one made out of ¼ inch thick aluminum and get it covered with military spec heat shelding.

dunno why i didn't think of this earlier.

why don't i give you my old "broken" one as soon as i get the new one, and you can send me back yours whenever you get it made. i'll wait till i get yours to install my knob again (hopefully that's not months down the road) and if yours doesn't work, i can always use my SPP one. if yours does work good, i can sell the SPP one for a small discount for whoever wants it.

taking dibs via PM now ;) i'm thinking like $10 off what you'd get it from SPP for, something like that. for someone who wants to do it and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks.

EnjoyIncs
11-13-2006, 04:30 AM
loustylez pm sent