PDA

View Full Version : Just redid my brakes

MEDEL51480
10-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Nothing special, just some Mintex pads with Brembo ECS Slotted rotors. I also repainted my calipers and stuck on some eBay Audi stickers.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/MEDEL514/Vehicles/NewBrakes001.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/MEDEL514/Vehicles/NewBrakes002.jpg

What do you think? I would have taken a pic with the wheels on, but I'm rolling on stockies at the moment until DiscountTire fixes my Oettinger they messed up.

BTW, I have some OEM rotors FS, they've been turned 3 times and are still warped, also, a set of used EBC Greenstuff pads that have a few miles on them. Everything OBO. [:D]

arizona steve
10-07-2006, 01:05 AM
nothing wrong with stock wheels damnit! hha

looks awesome though, how much did the rotors run you?

cleanandsimple
10-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Don't the stickers fall off or peal up from all that heat? Looks hot either way.

MEDEL51480
10-07-2006, 09:58 AM
The dude I bought them from says they're high temp. I had another set of high temp stickers on these caliper before but they came off from me being careless/pissed-off at the number of times I had to do brake jobs thanks to the last set of POS rotors. Hopefully I wont have to mess with this set as much.

Monchichi8
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
looks good man!.

AudiLife
10-07-2006, 12:18 PM
If you got your decals from "rjcalnan" off ebay aka www.XenonMods.com, they won't peel off. I've had mine on for a year and a half now and still as nice as the day I applied them.

sean1.8t
10-07-2006, 12:23 PM
or you can take a tiny bit of adhesive like apoxy and spread around the very edge of the sticker for some extra insurance

SoFresh
10-07-2006, 03:19 PM
What made you decide to go with slotted instead of drilled?

Quattro by JJM
10-07-2006, 03:33 PM
i glad you went with slotted because it makes me feel better about getting my ones... Though i have hear many many times from ever tire and brakes place ive been that cross drilled rotors are likely to crack with changes in temperature from hot to cold and ive seen 2 sets of this for myself actually manufactures std cross drilled brakes on Holden HSV where cracks happened between the holes and that was the end of that.... (but i dare say cross drilled look better ay)[a4]

PS hows the increase in the braking? big difference?

Quattro by JJM
10-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey did you do the install yourself?
if so was it easy enough?
im thinking of changing my rotors myself just scared if anything f**ks up ill be dead which is not the best thing[eek]

DRA4
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Looks nice, how much?

fred2ka4
10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Looks good ... [up] ... and I like the stickers also. Some times the best upgrades are the simple ones.

MEDEL51480
10-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by AudiLife
If you got your decals from "rjcalnan" off ebay aka www.XenonMods.com they won't peel off.
Matter of fact I did, I just checked the envelop! Thats good to know [:D]

I went with the slotted because I thought the x-drilled would have been more than I needed for a daily driver, and the slotted/x-drilled combo was just over kill. Plus I've heard the same about the drilled rotors being more prone to cracking. I can't really say if the braking is better yet, I'm giving them a while to break in fully.

The install was easy. Just like most other cars, 2 bolts for the calipers, 2 bolts for the knuckle, a little love tap with a hammer and the rotor pops off. I spent a little extra time for the cleaning/painting/stickering. I think it was 7mm allen for the caliper and a 17mm hex for the knuckle

Thanks for the replys!

iowaboostin
10-10-2006, 05:25 AM
How much did the setup run you?

docurley
10-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Look good

LateraLex
10-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Looks good. Good to know there is another source for decals besides the banned ebay seller.

Mine haven't come off either, I used some high-temp clearcoat to seal them in.

MEDEL51480
10-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Thats a good idea to seal up everything with the clear coat!

I paid $55 for the pads, and $130 for the rotors + shipping from ECStuning.com. the stickers were from eBay for like $12 shipped. I had some high temp black rattle can so that was a FREEBIE!

Quattro by JJM
10-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by MEDEL51480
Matter of fact I did, I just checked the envelop! Thats good to know [:D]

I went with the slotted because I thought the x-drilled would have been more than I needed for a daily driver, and the slotted/x-drilled combo was just over kill. Plus I've heard the same about the drilled rotors being more prone to cracking. I can't really say if the braking is better yet, I'm giving them a while to break in fully.

The install was easy. Just like most other cars, 2 bolts for the calipers, 2 bolts for the knuckle, a little love tap with a hammer and the rotor pops off. I spent a little extra time for the cleaning/painting/stickering. I think it was 7mm allen for the caliper and a 17mm hex for the knuckle

Thanks for the replys!

Cool so i can do a DIY myself then thanks mate

speedydragon
10-10-2006, 10:51 PM
did the stickers burn off yet?

MEDEL51480
10-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Nope, so far so good! [drive] [race]

juju4uofa
10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
For a little bit more you could've gone the A8 route???

Look good though!

MEDEL51480
10-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I was thinking about that, but ECS doesn't make a slotted rotor in 312mm or whatever the A8 size is, just the OEM, and to get one from somewhere else the price would have skyrocketed. I don't know, I kinda wanted the slotted look, so I went this way.

JumboBlack1.8
10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Speaking of going the A8 route....how much are the TT carriers new or used? I'm thinking about doing the upgrade.

TQMB5
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
what is the minumum size wheel you can run with a8 upgrade

iin10ded
10-12-2006, 11:12 AM
not so.. i just got a set of slotted ecs rotors with my a8/tt kit. fwiw the quality of the rotors and the carriers is nothing to write home about. we'll see how they hold up. fingers x'd.

fwiw purems has [much] lower prices.

Originally posted by MEDEL51480
I was thinking about that, but ECS doesn't make a slotted rotor in 312mm or whatever the A8 size is, just the OEM, and to get one from somewhere else the price would have skyrocketed. I don't know, I kinda wanted the slotted look, so I went this way.

MEDEL51480
10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
What pads did you get? I think my Mintex's are about broken in but they are making a low tone squeel when I stop. Now a high pitched squeel like when your brake are going bad, but a low tone one thats getting annoying. Anyone else had this prob with mintex pads?

iin10ded
10-12-2006, 08:06 PM
me? i just put on porterfield r4s's. so far so good. a litte squeaky but they bite like pacman at an Eparty. most of the aftermarket pads are a little noisy... did you use the correct backing plates and the anti squeal goo? averything good and clean when it went together ?[aka douse it in brake cleaner and wipe with clean rag/paper towel].

i had mintex red box on my 89 90 and i dont recall them being too noisy.

also - can anyone confirm the correct direction of the slots on the rotor? i put mine on opposite of what medels did in the pic. i dont think theyre directional, but im not sure..

pipe7284
10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
looks, nice with calipers painted black and the 4 rings audi stickers. I will probably do the same thing with mine.

MEDEL51480
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by iin10ded
can anyone confirm the correct direction of the slots on the rotor? i put mine on opposite of what medels did in the pic. i dont think theyre directional, but im not sure..
When the box came from ECS, each rotor was individually boxed, and they (ECS) wrote right and left on the respective rotor box. I just went with that, I don't think it would really make a difference which way you'd put them on.

I didn't put the anti-squeel goo on, I may have to take em' apart and put the goo on cause this is starting go get anoying.....

iin10ded
10-13-2006, 08:45 AM
yeah the goo might help, and cleaning them well cant hurt. my rotors were in 1 box, but im not really worried about orientation.

word on the street is they go both ways..