PDA

View Full Version : Why is it when I go to the dealer they need my vin...

Neo1130
10-06-2006, 02:51 PM
WHEN I HAVE THE FREAKIN PART NUMBER?! It's like holy shit, I have a part number, is that not good enough for you? Shit heads...

iscaspar
10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
i never need to give them mine.

chuckievi
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
because they are most likely logging information on your vehicle so if you go to sell it they can provide as complete of records as possible to any potential buyers/dealers

nizmosx
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
people at dealers are idiots. Even when you give them exact information and they tell you they have the part in stock, you drive down to the dealer and realize the tool behind the counter gave you the wrong part. Giving them the vin is idiot proof. Plus some of the older folks who drive the car, dont know what it means that they have a 99.5 or a later model b5. The vin splits the 99 and 99.5 so they dealer can tell exactly what you have. especially when it comes to harnesses and interior color codes.

Neo1130
10-06-2006, 04:50 PM
The above stuff I can understand but for a freaking vacuum line? C'mon now...

onemoremile
10-06-2006, 04:55 PM
i just tell Stan or Rob (the local parts counter guys) that i have the part number. sometimes we look it up in ETKA for varification but i've never had a problem.

it really helps to know who you're talking to. otherwise you're just another idiot customer to those idiot part guys. see how that works? you get exactly as much respect as you give - no more, no less.

FWIW, the parts counter guys are always the best to know. they'll give you discounts or add a surcharge depending on how you act. personally, i enjoy my discounts.

agentsmith988
10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
definately helps to work at the dealership too...those discounts rock!

and to solve your problem, just tell them youre not buying the part for a car, and that youre making a delicate and beautiful sculpture of insanely overpriced plastic and metal

k0mpresd
10-06-2006, 07:25 PM
i work in parts..listen to onemoremile [;)]

Neo1130
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I am good friends with the guy at the parts department at Audi plus I always go in in uniform and get a discount that way and give them respect... It is the VW dealer that doesn't give a shit...

k0mpresd
10-07-2006, 05:33 AM
i work @ a vw dealer

Neo1130
10-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i work @ a vw dealer

Yes Komp, we know... [;)] BUT Oklahoma City's VW dealer was actually rated the WORST VW dealer in the Nation by a few different sources...

01'A41.8T
10-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Neo1130
I am good friends with the guy at the parts department at Audi plus I always go in in uniform and get a discount that way and give them respect... It is the VW dealer that doesn't give a shit...

Originally posted by k0mpresd
i work @ a vw dealer

Haha, I'm sorry but that actually just made me laugh out loud.

k0mpresd
10-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
Haha, I'm sorry but that actually just made me laugh out loud.
the reason i posted it [;)]

nizmosx
10-07-2006, 01:19 PM
the problem is the part guys never believe you. i went into the long beach audi dealer. told him the part number i needed. he didnt believe me and gave me a different one which he felt was the right one. i went home and turned out it was the wrong one. i had to drive back and exhange for the right part. some of those guys think they know everything and your an idiot if you tell them what part you need. they look at you and are like, where did you get that number from.

Neo1130
10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Thing is I have proven this guy wrong on multiple occasions... He told me that NO Audi or VW share the same parts AT ALL... I told him basically yeah, most of them do... "No they don't." Then I got quite pissed after the third time of him saying this and I started to go off on the guy... I rushed out to my car and got a box full of parts that I needed... Threw them on the counter and said, "HERE, THESE ARE ALL FROM MY A4 AND THEY HAPPEN TO FIT A PASSAT TOO!" Oh I really doubt it he says... So I told him to either look them up or get his manger in there asap... He looked em up and said, Hmmm... What do you know... Same part numbers as the passat, let me get them for you... No sorry or anything that ****in prick dick face mother ****er...

Quattrocket
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
the reason is because they can charge you extra if you say it is for an Audi. If you buy inter-changeable parts with a passat for your a4 some dealers will ask for proof that it is a passat and not an A4. my buddy bought a MAF for his MK4 GTI and the same part was in another VW and had the same part # but cost half the price. So he ordered that one. The guy saw him pull up and asked if it was for his car and insisted on charging him the cost for the GTI.

Quattrocket
10-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Also if they search your VIN it could come up as a service actionand save you big money.

k0mpresd
10-07-2006, 02:49 PM
some of these responses are hillarious

Quattro by JJM
10-07-2006, 03:16 PM
LOL i agree good stuff i say its rediculous honestly what a waste of time when youve got the part number they dont do that over here ay in aus that i know of.

nizmosx
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
yes now that i think about it, it happend twice at long beach circle imports, the last time it happend it was the coolant temp sensor flange. I told him i have an aeb but for some reason the part on the aeb was from another engine code. (awm i think) he told me no,... it cant be. he gave me the part for the aeb head and i drove home and it had an extra conector on it. i went back and bought the awm part, fits like a charm. Its a hassell but im sure this isnt only an audi thing. By the way the aeb part number came up after he put in my vin. so a vin check wont work all the time if you have a different engine that what was stock in your car. My new aeb motor i bought came with the awm part on it.

Quattro by JJM
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
yes now that i think about it, it happend twice at long beach circle imports, the last time it happend it was the coolant temp sensor flange. I told him i have an aeb but for some reason the part on the aeb was from another engine code. (awm i think) he told me no,... it cant be. he gave me the part for the aeb head and i drove home and it had an extra conector on it. i went back and bought the awm part, fits like a charm. Its a hassell but im sure this isnt only an audi thing. By the way the aeb part number came up after he put in my vin. so a vin check wont work all the time if you have a different engine that what was stock in your car. My new aeb motor i bought came with the awm part on it. POssibly is just a GERMAN CAR THING LOL