PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

victorvu
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
im about to buy an A4 1.8t 5 speed manual, and i was wondering what problems does the A4 have? Because im an X 2nd Gen Tl Type S owner and the it has tranny problems does the A4 have simliar problems?

mike-2ptzero
10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
No problems with the manual trans other then worn syncros with high miles. The trans has no problems with high hp.

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Aside from being able to tear into the trans there's not much you can look out for other than the norm. Check to see if it stays in gear, no grinds, no unusual noises, etc. I'd also get a compression check done and see if when the timing belt was done last.

There are many threads on this, take a few minutes and do a search for this, I'm sure you'll find a lot more input.

victorvu
10-03-2006, 03:39 PM
alright the guy just replaced the clutch, control arms, and 4 new tires. im going to ask him if he ever replaced the syncros. how do i know if the syncros are going?

RAyala2.7T
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
^^^if you can't get it into gear without grinding, you synchros are going. you shouldn't really worry about that. our gearboxes are pretty stout. make sure timing belt and waterpump has been done if its at 60k miles or higher.