PDA

View Full Version : Removing emissions?

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I know most of the owners here are in states that do emissions tests but I'll still ask. Has anyone removed emissions? ie. capping the TB, removing EGR, charcoal canister, etc. I understand it'd hurt resale, don't think that hasn't crossed my mind. It frees up power, removes clutter in the engine bay and drops a few pounds for those who care about that. There's no doubt in my mind an Audi would throw a CEL for this but would vag-com be able to clear that?

Neo1130
10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Ummm, I don't think there is much you can remove that will increase hp... Our cars don't have EGR unless you are a 12V... Everything else if you remove will only give you a CEL... Yes, you will be able to clear it but it will only come back on a few minutes later...

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I've never done it to gain power.. since I'm in Iowa with no emissions tests it's basically just not needed, gives me something to do [:p]

1 ate T
10-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by iowaboostin
I've never done it to gain power.. since I'm in Iowa with no emissions tests it's basically just not needed, gives me something to do [:p]

nice to be in a state with easy emissions laws huh? [:D]

but really.. the only thing you're looking at that will give you an HP gain is the cat.

iin10ded
10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
hmm.. i actually prefer living in a state that gives a rats ass about air quality since i also breathe here.

it's worth mentioning that willfully polluting is not exactly socially responsible. especially for no performance advantage. the car was designed to use the emissions system, i would let it be. you wont help power, driveability, etc. weight advantage? come on, it's like 1 pound - go run a few laps. plus you'll always have the cel on so you wont know if something actually breaks.

Neo1130
10-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by iowaboostin

Well, you said in your first post that it frees up power...

1 ate T
10-03-2006, 11:12 AM
willfully polluting.. ha.. maybe you should get an electric scooter. i'm not all that concerned about a car considering everything else polluting the air...

but sure, i understand your point..

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by iin10ded
hmm.. i actually prefer living in a state that gives a rats ass about air quality since i also breathe here.

it's worth mentioning that willfully polluting is not exactly socially responsible. especially for no performance advantage. the car was designed to use the emissions system, i would let it be. you wont help power, driveability, etc. weight advantage? come on, it's like 1 pound - go run a few laps. plus you'll always have the cel on so you wont know if something actually breaks.
Go buy a hybrid or a bicycle [;)] This is a performance board, everyone here is doing more harm to the atmosphere than if their cars were stock in almost all cases. I'm surrounded in fields, air quality is something nobody here would worry about.. plus our state's population is the same as a couple cities there, we don't have a real pollution problem.

Neo -- it contributes, nothing I'd ever notice but it's not the sole reason I've removed emissions before.

I'm simply trying to find some free mods to do while I save up for the rest of the maintenance.

Neo1130
10-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Hahah, removing emmisions is not a mod for us... It is a waste of time... Unless you remove the cat like said before... You can still have a powerful car while still keeping emisions...

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your opinion.

k0mpresd
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
the only emissions component(s) left on my car is the evap system...all the hoses, canister, n80 valve, ect

the sec air pump, cat, combi valve, n112, ect have all been removed or bypassed...no pcv system really..just a catch can