PDA

View Full Version : Egr

gotdubd
10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
i have an EGR code coming up
reading "insufficient flow"

i ran seafoam hoping that might clear things up a little bit

i was told i may have to actually clean the valve....

any write ups or DIY on locale and procedure of cleaning the EGR vavle.

-12v 2.8L

i know my first to threads were questions on how to fix shit, im sure i will have something positive to add sometime soon.

once this piece is running good

gotdubd
10-03-2006, 08:59 AM
nothing?

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I've never heard of cleaning an EGR valve... though I've only worked with one other platform. I can see Audi's being more picky but I've always removed emissions on my cars (except my A4) and put a block-off plate in its place. EGR does harm to your engine..

*edit*
Don't know how I forgot this. Seafoam of course is a way to clean your valves/intake mani but what we had used with DSMs was something different.. I'm kinda cautious of it and would like some input on this however if using it on Audi's. We used a thing called MCCC.. Mopar Chamber Combustion Cleaner that we bought at a Chrysler dealership. It's basically the same thing as Seafoam expect lots more powerful. You can use it just like seafoam by sucking it up through the PCV hose. That did wonders for my older cars.

gotdubd
10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
anyone with input on eliminating the EGR?

Neo1130
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by gotdubd
anyone with input on eliminating the EGR?

It will keep your intake a little cleaner...

iowaboostin
10-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
It will keep your intake a little cleaner...
It'll keep it a LOT cleaner. What I'm concerned about though is the CEL that'll be thrown. On my DSMs where I've done that, the CEL for it was easily rid of.

Neo1130
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I think you can just hook a resistor up into the harness and the CEL will be cured... At least that is the way it was in my VR6...

quickglx
10-03-2006, 02:42 PM
You will need to remove the intake manifold and split it in half(remove bolts)to clean the gunk from the EGR port in the plenum. It's not too hard, but it will take some time.

Quattro
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
i had the same problem with my EGR, they cleaned it, i guess, cleaned some lines, etc. i still had that problem for abit...you will not pass smog if the people are anal about it.

you can replace the EGR lines, and stuff not sure which one they are, but i can try to find out

good luck!
-randy

gotdubd
10-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Quattro

you can replace the EGR lines, and stuff not sure which one they are, but i can try to find out

please do man. that would rule[race] [up]

flashburn
09-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Bump to bring back the only thread I found on this matter. I have the same CEL and people have metioned cleaning the egr, but where is it?

stubbs
09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I had this problem for a while, so I figured seafoam had a chance of helping things out. I ran half a can of seafoam through the intake, then put the other half of the can in the crankcase to clear things out a bit. Changed the oil a few days later. I didn't get my vag-com cable until about 2 weeks after that, but I've since cleared the code and the light hasn't come back on in the last week. I'm hoping that may have fixed it.

I'd also like to know which lines we could replace, though.