PDA

View Full Version : ... // I Knew My Dress Socks Would Come In Handy At Some Point \\...

audisnapr
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
... but I had no idea it would be car related nor would I ever report here on AZ anything that had something to do with my dress socks.

Among my many projects currently in the process or floating around in my head, one of them was to clean up the inlet on my intake setup. I'm pretty satisfied with the intake as a whole, but really wasn't too happy with the inlet side of the intake. Here's what it looked like prior to my latest mod (I'll get to the dress sock in a sec).

the inlet part I'm referring to is the part just before the black cobra-style 90* bend - although it may look OK on the outside, it was thrown together and was just never happy with it.
http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/logs/DSC07657.JPG

The toughest part about the inlet was that its opening at the radiator is a long rectangle, then it morphs to a larger trapezoidal shape - from there I needed it to be a 3" dia circle. I thought about this for a while, even stared at it this last Thursday night for a good hour or so. Finally it hit me - I had seen several car related shows where they make custom speaker boxes. They use fabric to morph from one shape to another or just try to smooth transitions out a bit. Once they stretched the fabric they applied fiberglass resin to hold its shape. I looked around and saw a (clean) dress sock and bingo!

All I had to do is chop up the factory inlet, stretch the sock over the inlet, insert a small section of 3" alum tube, secure it down so it holds its shape, apply resin and then a quick coat of bondo and some black tape and done.

http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/inlet/IMG_6717.jpg
http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/inlet/IMG_6719.jpg
http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/inlet/IMG_6716.jpg
http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/inlet/IMG_6718.jpg
http://public.visualrealms.com/audi2/inlet/IMG_6720.jpg

still need to drill two small holes for the screws and install. I plan on using that orange brake duct hose to go from this new piece to the cobra-style 90* bend.

k0mpresd
10-02-2006, 06:14 PM
hot [up]

Euro
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
wow.

you must have done this before. very pro.

jrau13
10-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Nice, very well done!

turboquattro068
10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
awesome dude, very similar to my setup, is that a full heatsheild, or partial? looks clean where did you get the intake?

quickglx
10-02-2006, 06:42 PM
This looks much more useful than dress socks

MR VTEC
10-02-2006, 06:42 PM
[cool][up]audisnapr

94jedi
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
so you're going to work barefoot???

hhaha.. awesome use of dress socks! audisnapr is the DIY mod king.

LateraLex
10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Well met good sir.

onemoremile
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
great idea. can we call you shoeless joe now?

speedydragon
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
you'll kno your intake is gonna smell mighty good now :P

fred2ka4
10-03-2006, 12:05 AM
looks good, performs good, and smells good.

Well 2 out of 3 aint bad. [:D] [up]

Yuikio
10-03-2006, 12:47 AM
WTF are you going to do with an orphan dress sock now?

God, there is just no room for anything in there. Damn you Quattro.

If it means anything, I think that's a cool solution, to use the stock inlet piece, since the bumper/lock carrier (it's been a while since I've seen my car, I don't remember where it feeds through) has that hole there already.

RippleChip
10-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Nice, that must look so much better in there. Good work.

onemoremile
10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Yuikio
WTF are you going to do with an orphan dress sock now?

God, there is just no room for anything in there. Damn you Quattro.

we don't need to know what he's been using that other sock for...

the lack of room is due to the forward placement of the turbo. an apr manifold puts it in a much better place. unfortunately apr doesn't like selling components by themselves.

audisnapr
10-03-2006, 09:04 AM
...a bunch of f'n comedians on this board. thanks for the comments. Need to hook it all up and I'll snap a few intall photos.

94jedi
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
the lack of room is due to the forward placement of the turbo. an apr manifold puts it in a much better place. unfortunately apr doesn't like selling components by themselves.

seems like most mani's put the turbo in a tight space. My ATP T3 mani puts my turbo so far forward that the TIP hits the headlight housing. I can only imagine how bad the placement for the Big BT guys like Mike/Ian/goody6691. The APR Mani is a really nice peice though. I'm thinking of going w/ a different mani at some point...my only issue is I'm internally gated right now, so I'd either have to switch turbo's too or get a block off plate of some sort.

94jedi
10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Joe, did you just put resin over the sock or did you FG/bondo over it as well? what kind of bondo did you use? I'm thinking of making a custom TIP for my car.

audisnapr
10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
once the sock/fabric is in the shape you want (hard part is getting it to stay that way so you have to mount it down in a way that you don't get a flat spot on one side) you just apply enough fiberglass resin so the fabric soaks it up. You end up with a really rough texture. Sand it semi smooth without taking too much resin off, apply another liberal coat (with or without glass - I did no glass), sand, apply some bondo (regular body bondo) to smooth it out, sand again and either paint or wrap.

It's not a piece that's under pressure of any kind, so I chose to not use the glass mesh - it just makes such a mess and isn't the easiest stuff to work with on a small project. My new sock inlet is plenty rigid.

To be honest, I have no idea how fiberglass will hold up in the engine bay. I could see it cracking or just deteriorating from the heat. Time will tell.

EVIL-AUDI
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by audisnapr
...a bunch of f'n comedians on this board.

you rang?

iin10ded
10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
wow great idea... but how come you taped it vs sanding and painting it? electrical tape will probably come updone after a while since the adhesive will break down with heat.

audisnapr
10-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I've never really had a problem with using tape if it's well wrapped. I don't know that the adhesive will break down, but it does heat up a bit and the tape (if stretched too tightly) will move. I guess to be honest I like the tape look better - it "resembles" a silicone wrap. I realize I'm not fooling anyone, but its def an easier process. For me, if the bondo work (or whatever is under the paint) is not perfect (and that's hard to achieve on a complex curved surface) and I see the imperfections through the paint, it will bug the shit out of me every time I look at it. Taping it covers all the imperfections and just looks business - I'm def not about the show (for the most part [;)] )

RedRocket
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
is it just me or does the intake tubing continue past the filter, under the exhaust flange, and then between the hot side of the turbo and the exhaust manifold?

audisnapr
10-03-2006, 12:19 PM
it's just you - intake goes under the the turbo and straight into the block - I drilled a massive 3" hole in the block. I figured I'd just cut to the chase and vent directly into the combustion chambers.

or go here for further info http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94960

RedRocket
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
haha, don't be mad! :P I was just wondering.

Funny response though. Nice setup btw.

audisnapr
10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
not mad - just trying to be a comedian like everyone else is - I hate not fitting in [;)]

bitterchild
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
great idea. can we call you shoeless joe now?