PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel chatter?

Dietbudda
10-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm breaking in my clutch, doing everything i'm suposed to I.E. staying out of boodt, no sudden jerks, keeping it below 4000 AT THE MAX. When i stop the car i hear a little 'knocking/rattling' at idle when i put my foot on the clutch it stops. When i have it out of gear and my foot slightly on the gas to stand at say 1000 rpm it goes away. Now i'm 350 miles into break in on the alluminum flywheel and stage 2 clutch from AWE will it ALWAYS have this sound, will it go away or is it all phucked up?

thanks guys.

BranCKY3
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
It's not messed up, lightweight flywheels tend to chatter at idle. I don't have any first hand experience so I'll leave it at that.

bitterchild
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
expect the chattering forever

you're being way too anal in regards to the break in procedure

Dietbudda
10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Ok cool yeah i prolly am being a little anal with break in and i'm thinking i might give it a bit of a stretch tomorrow and see how it feels. As long as a little bit of chatter is normal, i can live with it knowing it means i'm cooler then the guy next to me (unless he's faster)

BranCKY3
10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
You're fine giving it boost, just don't shift hard or get on it too often.

20vTa4
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I've got the ECS aluminum flywheel and an RS4 clutch, my car sounds like a diesel at idle when it's hot. It's been about 12,000 miles and theres no sign of it going away...........

mike-2ptzero
10-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Just part of having a light weight flywheel, some are worse the others. Some times I swear I am dropping a cylinder when next to a wall, then I push the clutch and remember it is just my clutch.

fred2ka4
10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
It will never go away. That's one of the down sides to switching to a lightened flywheel, as opposed to keeping the duel mass flywheel. That was one of the things that I researched, before I decided to have mine resurfaced. It just depends on what you want from your car, but I'm happy with my stage III Clutch Master and resurfaced flywheel. If it bothers you to much, you can always sell it, and have yours resurfaced. Just make sure you go to a shop that knows Audi's and what they are doing.

quattroanillos5
10-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I have the AWE stageII w/ LWFW... I've had mine for about 5k or 6k and the chatter won't go away... but from my understanding that is normal for LWFW

Mr.Black
10-02-2006, 07:17 AM
same issue on my TT. SUX but normal

Daft
10-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Ah yes, I remember that horrific noise so well.

I actually had a LWFW for 2 years and I finally swapped back to OEM in early August. Life is good again.

Here's the explination of why it occurs and why you have a DMF to begin with:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=82177

Emil@RENN-ART
10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
That's the only downside to the awesome 6lb flywheel of that kit. If that's something that'll bother you a lot, when you order the kit tell us to give you the 12lb flywheel instead. It's also lighter than the 25lb stock one, but won't chatter quite as bad.

Tony doesn't seem to agree on this.. ;) , but I'm a firm believer that this type of clutch needs really anal break in period. I've heard of people breaking in RS4 clutches the wrong way and then they start slipping way to early. I broke mine in for 1000 miles (yep!) and I'm now at 20,000 miles of daily driving and hard driving and have taken it to the track just recently and dropped it at 6000rpm and it holds perfectly!

onemoremile
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
the rs4 clutch in the s4 was installed the same time as the k04 turbos and reused the stock flywheel. the car had about 110k miles on it then and has about 180k now. the clutch was never broken in and it still feels perfect.

its just like brake pads. enthusiasts do a proper break in while the other 99% of the world doesn't bother and it isn't an issue. cars don't have clutches or brake pads bed in at the factory yet it isn't a problem. slipping clutches and brakes would warrant a class action lawsuit and i'm sure we'd all hear about it on the news. that said, i still break things in the proper way and have never had an issue.

maxspeed
10-06-2006, 08:48 AM
500 miles of break in for thousands of miles enjoyment is worth it

Dietbudda
10-06-2006, 09:18 AM
i finished breaking it in last tuesay and it's AMAZING. Ilove the set u it pulls MUCH harder then before.

tkarwin
10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
How do you like the driveability of the LWFW? Does the engine rev a lot faster and is it more fun to drive? How loud is the chatter? If I had the radio on with the windows up would I hear it?

Dietbudda
10-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I LOVE IT!!!! Ok yeah there's some noise from chatter, at idle sitting next to something. otherewise with the windows up and no radio it's kind of a faint ticking noise, with the radio on an average level you can abrly hear it

As far as how it drives. it's def different. it does rev much quickers still slow compared to my old NA rotary, but MUCH better then beofre with the KO3. Fun, oh yeah real fun, super fun, eally super fun. Am i having more fun with it, OH YEAH. Sorry, it's alot of fun,

The only problem i have with it is controlling myself. The most obvious time that it revs quicker is lower RPMs and lower speeds wic is deifntly going to get me in trouble. It also makes high speed freeway driving dangerous for me, it goes from 80 to 130 in 5th gear relativly quick.

i would recomend this mod to anyone as the clutch feels awsome too. I LOVE IT