PDA

View Full Version : Perch Opinions

GraysonF
10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I ordered H&R race/Bilstein adjustibles for my birthday, adjustible front and back, and im looking for perch suggestions. Right now i have 17" OEM s4 wheels, and am looking for suggestions on what perch to place the shocks at. Im looking for about 1 finger gap to flush, and definatly not extremely tucked. is it that hard to adjust the shocks while the car is on the ground? i know obviously that the wheels will have to be off. i have a feeling that when i get them installed, they wont be like i want, and i will have to adjust and adjust untill i get it right. thanks in advance!

Nihilation
10-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Bilstein adjustables, eh? By "adjustable" I assume you mean "grooved"?

GraysonF
10-01-2006, 04:44 PM
yes

badassbaldie
10-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I have Bilstein "grooved" shocks & struts w/Eibach sport springs. I rubbed bad on the lowest setting so I raised them up two to the third setting. I still rubbed with 18" wheels so I ended up rolling my fenders. My settings are perfect now.

I would say that you can get away with the second to lowest with 17" wheels depending on your tire size.

GraysonF
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
any pictures?

badassbaldie
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235wheel_1-med.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235wheel_2-med.jpg

VB05
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Quick question, cause I also have grooved bilsteins that i'm about to adjust. Once I have the springs compressed, can you just tap the perch down to the other grooves or do you have to loosen something first?

badassbaldie
10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Quick question, cause I also have grooved bilsteins that i'm about to adjust. Once I have the springs compressed, can you just tap the perch down to the other grooves or do you have to loosen something first?

How many notches are you moving them? You CAN adjust them while compressing the springs but I suggest being very careful. I was able to adjust them up two from the lowest setting but I really had to compress the spring. You know that you still have to remove the strut/spring assembly in order to do so, right?

VB05
10-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
How many notches are you moving them? You CAN adjust them while compressing the springs but I suggest being very careful. I was able to adjust them up two from the lowest setting but I really had to compress the spring. You know that you still have to remove the strut/spring assembly in order to do so, right?

No, I didn't know that. The guy at AWE gave me then impression that I could adjust them without undoing any of the assembly. Though now that I look at it, I'm starting to see that it would be too hard. So I'd have to remove the whole assembly off the car to adjust them? I was only gonna go one groove at a time...letting the spring settle again and seeing if I wanted to go lower. Thanks for the help.

Chard
10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by VB05

Yup, you just move the C clip from perch to perch. I couldn't get the spring compressed enough while on the car...not with my spring compressors at least. You'd save yourself some time if you can, but otherwise you'll have to take the assy. out of the car.

VB05
10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Chard
Yup, you just move the C clip from perch to perch. I couldn't get the spring compressed enough while on the car...not with my spring compressors at least. You'd save yourself some time if you can, but otherwise you'll have to take the assy. out of the car.

hmmm, ok. I'll try to get the springs compressed enough on the car. But it doesn't look like it's gonna work too well. It was hard enough to get one compressor on let alone trying to fit in another. damn, alright thanks for the help!

badassbaldie
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
...So I'd have to remove the whole assembly off the car to adjust them? I was only gonna go one groove at a time...letting the spring settle again and seeing if I wanted to go lower. Thanks for the help.

I would think that it would be very difficult to adjust them while on the car (space). It's really not that hard to take the assembly out of the car, five bolts total (lower shock mount, sway bar link, and three upper shock mount nuts). No need to remove the control arms.

I suggest doing this at least once so you become more familiar with your car. Trust me, being a B5 owner, you want to be familiar...Good luck.[wrench]

GraysonF
10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
about how much does it cost to have your fenders rolled? i want my car to be pretty low, and dont have the materials or the know how to do it myself. also, where would one get this done at? im thinking of staying at the "normal" (according to AWE) perches for right now, then if i rub ill roll and go lower. should HOPEFULLY be installed by wednesday!

VB05
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you can just do it with a baseball bat and a towel...or rent a roller

b00st
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
i got H&R Sport Springs on Bilstein Grooved.

fronts are 2nd from the bottom.
rears are on the bottom perch.

GraysonF
10-10-2006, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by VB05
I'm pretty sure you can just do it with a baseball bat and a towel...or rent a roller

is there a writeup anywhere? i also dont want to eff up my paint so any suggestions?

badassbaldie
10-10-2006, 05:01 AM
All you need is a heat gun, little league baseball bat, a towel, and alot of patience. There used to be a write-up of sorts but it might have been trashed from the recent crash.

b00st
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
baldie is a mcgyver of sorts....so you'll have to excuse his methods

i think he left off chewing gum, some string and a turkey baster. [:D] [;)] [:p]

badassbaldie
10-10-2006, 02:40 PM
baldie is a mcgyver of sorts....so you'll have to excuse his methods

i think he left off chewing gum, some string and a turkey baster.

Funny guy...

And no, the chewing gum, string and turkey baster is what I use to do fuel filters. Ever tried it? Oh, that's right your's is still the ORIGINAL filter...[:p]

b00st
10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
Funny guy...

And no, the chewing gum, string and turkey baster is what I use to do fuel filters. Ever tried it? Oh, that's right your's is still the ORIGINAL filter...[:p]

HAHA [:D] alright you got me.