PDA

View Full Version : quick antifreeze question

Trevsaudi
09-30-2006, 07:54 PM
i searched around a bit (not too thoroughly but i searched nonetheless) and i couldnt find any solid answer... why do we need the g-12 or pentosin antifreeze? i understand we need antifreeze for an aluminum block, but are the cheaper alternative aluminum block antifreezes not good enough or does it matter?

pac1085
09-30-2006, 08:36 PM
You can use other stuff if you really want to just make sure to COMPLETELY flush any old coolant out. It gets bad if you mix different kinds.

G12 and dexcool are obsolete, G-05 is the new wave...use that if your going to totally flush the system.

Poopie
09-30-2006, 08:40 PM
oh wow I can just flush the system? Just drain completely and run distilled for a little bit, drain and fill with the new brand of coolant? What does the g-05 run? I need to flush mines as well as change my coolant res.

iowaboostin
10-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Poopie
oh wow I can just flush the system? Just drain completely and run distilled for a little bit, drain and fill with the new brand of coolant? What does the g-05 run? I need to flush mines as well as change my coolant res.
Yep, there's a write-up in the DIY.

pac1085
10-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Poopie

Its like under 10 bucks for a gallon, they got it at the parts stores. You can get it from mercedes too.