PDA

View Full Version : Cat placment issues

Dietbudda
09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
The ONLY mod done the car when i bought it was a high flow cat. Yesterday while talking to another machanic buddy of mine specalicizing in VW's and Audis explained to me why my downpipe bolts kept falling out, apparnetly the cat is to far away from the turbo causing a lack of flex in the cat pipe. Is this a common thing with aftermarket cats.
For referance untill i can get a pic up, where the pipe bends down to meet the downpipe is where the cat has been placed.
Any pics of people's cat set up's would be nice for reference. I'm planning to go BT next spring and don't want to spend money on something unless i have to since i'll be placing a test pipe in. thanks guys.

Chard
09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
The cat is supposed to be bolted directly to the turbo. The cat isn't what has the flex, the downpipe is supposed to have the flex joint.

Sounds like you have the stock downpipe and yes, that does have a flex joint.

What aftermarket cat are you running? If you're going BT, you're going to have to get an exhaust anyway.

EuroA4
09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Manifold>Turbo>Cat>DP>Straight pipe>Resonator (optional)>Muffler....VRRRRROOOMMMMM

Dietbudda
09-29-2006, 06:15 PM
see i have a flex joint jut after where the downpipe ayyaches to the cat pipe, is that not enough to absorb bending in the exhaust?