PDA

View Full Version : ICM the same for dbc and dbw?

Poopie
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to help my friend diagnose a car. Just wondering if i can swap my icm from one to another.

k0mpresd
09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
dbw's dont have icm

the igniter is built into the coil

Poopie
09-28-2006, 07:57 PM
doh, this car is having random multiple misfires. I'm gonna vag the car to find out which cylinders. We have already changed over all the coilpacks. Still no luck.

k0mpresd
09-28-2006, 08:00 PM
what plugs?

gap?

how old are they?

Poopie
09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
no idea. that is the next step tomarrow. Changing the plugs to ngk bkr6e's gapped to .028. The car is chipped. Whats after that for diagnosing? I need to figure out what cylinder its in. I only have the shareware vag-com to work with. =/

Chard
09-29-2006, 07:51 AM
It's easy to diagnose which cylinder isn't firing. With the car running, unplug the coilpacks one by one. If there is no change, then that's the cylinder that isn't firing. Chances are (if it's the ICM) it's CYL 2 or 3.

If you didn't know if the coilpacks were bad, you could swap the coilpacks around and see if the problem follows the coilpack. If not, then it's most likely the ICM.

Daft
09-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Just a heads up on the random misfires....

Last October I had a major problem with random misfires. The car would just die and then would not start up for about 2mins. I was also getting some sputtering and misfires unfer WOT on occasion.

I tested my ICM and checked my plugs but, nothing was out of spec.

It turned out to be a failing EEPROM that my software was flashed on. I contacted my chip vendor and got a new chip and all was well. Not one problem since last year.

So, you can test the ICM and make sure that your plugs are good but after that, you have to go back to the ECU and either swap it out or pop in a stock chip.

Poopie
09-29-2006, 10:14 AM
just fyi, this is a my 2000 with gaic chip and milltek exhaust and dp. The cars fine in limp mode. We think that the multiple misfires is putting the car into limp. No start up problems. Boost or vac leak maybe? They vac readings look normal and so does boost in limp 7-8 psi. I'm gonna log blocks 15 and 16 to see where the misfires occur.

On a side note, I always have a random misfire on cylinder 1 at 9990 rpm as listed in vag-com. This is always at idle that this will pop up. Is this normal? ngk bkr6e's gapped to .028 on pc16 k04 software. I wish I had the full version vag-com to make sure my afr is ok.

Chard
09-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Daft

Last October I had a major problem with random misfires. The car would just die and then would not start up for about 2mins. I was also getting some sputtering and misfires unfer WOT on occasion.

It turned out to be a failing EEPROM that my software was flashed on. I contacted my chip vendor and got a new chip and all was well. Not one problem since last year.

So, you can test the ICM and make sure that your plugs are good but after that, you have to go back to the ECU and either swap it out or pop in a stock chip.

Same thing happened to me too actually. I couldn't figure it out and I was starting to get freaked out. The car would just die while I was driving. Sometimes it'd start back up, sometimes not. I changed plugs, unplugged my turbo timer, tested the ignition, alternator, battery, etc. Turned out to be the same thing...it was the chip. APR was able to resolder a new one. Funny thing is when he opened up my ECU, he couldn't believe how old my chip was. I've had that first one since APR started.

b00st
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Daft

and the same thing....the chip on my ECU went bad.
except my car just wouldn't start that day once it did. i guess it was done for the day....next day it would start and run fine....then there was the random sputtering and dying out whilst driving.

Poopie
09-29-2006, 04:49 PM
here is the update. vagged the car. Misfires on 1 and 3. and has a lean condition code. We logged the maf and it can only pull 45-50g's. I'm gonna have to say this is a maf problem. What do you guys think?

Poopie
09-30-2006, 08:02 AM
ttt