PDA

View Full Version : Break in advice

Dietbudda
09-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi, just had my Aluminum light weight fly and stage two clutch from AWE installed and as wondering about break in time. they we saying over 1000 miles with no boost. this seems a little long for break in on a clutch i've been told anywhere from 250 to 800 miles, how long you guys think?

Also curious as to what you guys uggest as far as break in, from what i understand i'm not going to hit max power when out of boost no matter what the RPMS, i'm unlucky enough to live in a rather hilly area and need higer rpms to climb home, can i use a small amount of boost? i.e. 5 or below? As you know these 1.8t's have NO guts without boost.

Thanks in advance guys.

BranCKY3
09-28-2006, 07:15 PM
You can use some boost, as long as you don't shift hard at all. I went 500 miles with 0-5psi, but you can't help that since the turbo spools there pretty quickly.

Dietbudda
09-28-2006, 07:28 PM
good that's kind of what i wanted to hear, i was driving it home trying to stay ot of boost and it's difficult to do that sometimes. Thank you.

BTW how do you like the the up?

iowaboostin
09-28-2006, 07:44 PM
As with all my new clutches on any car I've never gone over 4k RPM or ~7psi for 500 miles as well.

Dietbudda
09-28-2006, 08:26 PM
AHHHH self restraint is going o be VERY difficult, but so fr i've put 100 on in 6 hours only accidenlty hitting high boost once.

bitterchild
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
if you go to the stock file you should have no problem since it's unlikely to make enough torque to glaze the clutch

Poopie
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
hahaha well just think about the gas you are saving....kinda...

well i guess not really since you will find every excuse to drive to rake in the miles. High way miles do not count as break in miles. haha

Dietbudda
09-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Swapping in the stock ECU in tomorrow that should help, so the general consuse is 500 miles? coolness

Eurotuned_A4
09-28-2006, 09:11 PM
i was easy on mine for about 750 miles. i think i hit high boost once, but it was after a few hundred miles

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Break in periods always depend on what is on the disk. Some need easy driving some need you to burn the top parts of the surface off and some(race clutch) need no break in at all.

What was on your disk?

BTW when they say "miles" they actually mean stop and go traffic type of miles where you use the clutch often. The other way to break in a clutch is to do some very short WOT runs at low rpms in 5th gear at low speeds on the fwy. This allows for heavy load and it is easier to watch the tach to make sure you lift as soon as you see the rpms jump faster then it should. This is exactly how I was able to break in my very first clutch in less then a week before hitting the track, that was back in 2001 being the first dbw B5 to need a upgraded clutch.

Dietbudda
09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Not exactly sure what is on the clutch, this is the kit i bought
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=2&PP=a4_18t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=AWEClutchKit
It feels REAL good though, and i'm real happy, just can't wait to give it a good caning

mike-2ptzero
09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
It has Kevlar on it which will have a soft layer on the top which needs to heat up and burn off so the rest of it can set. This is exactly like the clutch I was able to break in in less then 1 week by doing the 5th gear pulls on the fwy at low speed.

Dietbudda
09-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks mike, looks like i have alot of driving to do before Show and go then.

onemoremile
09-29-2006, 03:54 PM
i broke in my SouthBend DXD OFE SS (stage 4-ish) clutch over the course of a week. just normal stop and go driving with no WOT. i took detours every day through every stop sign filled subdivision i could. less than a week later i did a track day and it held perfectly well.

Dietbudda
09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
now is there any special treatment for the aluminum flywheel? I've head they are a little tricky to set