PDA

View Full Version : Why did my MAF sensor die?

BranCKY3
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Alright I ran into a problem today... I went full throttle in 2nd gear, it stuttered really bad at around 5000rpm, which may have thrown a knock sensor code that I found once I got home. After the stutter, it won't idle at all since it turns out my MAF sensor somehow died in the process. I have the MAF signal too low code, but I just replaced the sensor like 3 months ago? so it doesn't make any sense to me. What can cause the sensor to just die all of a sudden? There's no signal from it at all...

socal_A4
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
do you have a K&N or an oiled filter because there notorious for frying MAF's

BranCKY3
09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
They don't fry MAF's, they can screw up the readings but mine's 1000% dead. And no I'm running an unoiled filter.

Does the MAF sensor have a fuse?

socal_A4
09-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
They don't fry MAF's, they can screw up the readings but mine's 1000% dead. And no I'm running an unoiled filter.
umm yea they do... the oil from the filter gets on the wire aka resitor, and is unable to burn it off thus ruining your maf readings... Everytime you turn off your car that resistor heats up really hot to burn off excess particles... You can clean it however..Most effective way is to put it in a bag with rubbing alcohol

Poopie
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
never had a problem with my maf. Its 65k miles old and been running a kn since 40k. The same one actaully. Maf read 189g's today during data logging. Sounds pretty good to me. But that is besides the point. Mafs just die I think. Just run without one.

BranCKY3
09-27-2006, 10:33 PM
The car runs like ass without it. It seems like the MAF randomly died while I was driving, I went WOT and it went lean causing the knock. So, I'll be picking a new one up tomorrow, then I'll clean the old one and give it another shot.

Poopie
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
hopefully its not an electrical problem. how much do mafs run anyways?

socal_A4
09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
alot I think they are like 90 bucks for a vw bug one... So my guess is audi is more... im not positive tho

Wholsea
09-28-2006, 05:27 AM
I duno, I picked up a new MAF for my A4 from the dealership for $60...

LateraLex
09-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Price depends a lot on the engine type. Mine was $90 online and I bought the VW part.

SeanF
09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
did you check for FOD to the sensor itself?

an improperly oiled filter will not render a MAF sensor unuseable, it will just throw off the readings until the sensor is cleaned.

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by socal_A4
umm yea they do... the oil from the filter gets on the wire aka resitor, and is unable to burn it off thus ruining your maf readings... Everytime you turn off your car that resistor heats up really hot to burn off excess particles... You can clean it however..Most effective way is to put it in a bag with rubbing alcohol

That only happens because of "user error" by putting too much oil on the filter or not allowing it to fully dry before putting it back on. So the filter or oil isn't to blame it is the "stupid" owner.

BranCKY3 - If you are running a BT setup it could be the reason the maf sensor went out so quick, this is usually caused by running the sensor at over 90% of its max reading.

Yes there is a fuse for the maf sensor, but it is the same fuse that runs most of the other stuff on that side of the engine bay. Usually when that fuse pops it causes a "short to ground" code , the code you got is just for a dead maf.

BranCKY3
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Yea I figured it would have thrown a short to ground code if it's a fuse... I bought a new maf today for $135 *sigh*, hopefully it won't happen again now. Also, do you have to buy the sensor with the housing or can you buy it seperately?

And yes I'm running a BT, my max readings with the ex-maf were ~185-190ish in a VR6 housing, it's not running close to max reading so I don't see why it should have blown..

k0mpresd
09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
why did you maf die?

because they are crap

i am on my 4th one since june i believe...the current one has lasted a little while now *knock on wood*

mike-2ptzero
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
why did you maf die?

because they are crap

i am on my 4th one since june i believe...the current one has lasted a little while now *knock on wood*

That is odd, I only burned out 1 of my stock sensor and didn't have any problems with it while running my old GIAC setup with the 3.5" housing and GT35r. It was still good even after hitting the max maf reading every time at the track causing the ecu to close the throttle.

k0mpresd
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
it is very odd

mine is in a descreened vr6 housing

couldnt tell you what was causing it

the first one died and showed a reading of 0.00g/s

when the 2nd and 3rd died they both showed a constand reading of 0.44g/s

swap in a new maf..good to go

one8t
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Why do bad things happen to good sensors.[:(]

bitterchild
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
who said anything about good sensors?

1.8G
10-03-2006, 09:18 PM
^speaking of which, I still have your maf... This is tony of rennart correct? If not, sorry.