PDA

View Full Version : Synchro's going?!

bellofello
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey, recently when I get to driving the tranny feels sorta rough engaging the next gear compared to when I bought it (used 136,000km now has 142,000km). I'm not sure if its just because its getting colder outside, or my synchros are going. Hopefully the coldness! It isn't a super rough engagement or anything, just like a vibration with a.... clunck that you can't hear but you can feel? if that makes sense. Just harder to describe by typing than I thought lol.

maxspeed
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
short shift kit? mine gets really notchy in the winter months

bellofello
09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
nope bone stock. And the weather isn't super cold yet. It gets down to about 5 degrees during the night and is in the mid teens during the days. I haven't taken her on any drives for a good distance. But I have driven it to the point where it is fully warmed up and it still does it. mainly in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. A little bit in the 3-4 and almost none going from 4-5

Turbo_M5
09-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a passat b5.5 with the same exact problem and i took it to 2 different transmission shops and both said there is nothing wrong. WTF there is something wrong it shifts so bad!!!

i have noticed that after a long highway run (30mins) the shifting is sooo seemless and perfect then.[eek]

anyway if you find out what is wrong PLEASE PM me, i need to know. And if i find out ill let you know.

P.S. changing the tranny oil does not help!!!

onemoremile
09-29-2006, 08:47 PM
you can try to align the shifter itself. if the adjustment is off then it gets really notchy. rather than slide up into the center of first gear it is a little to one side or the other. this feels a lot like a bad clutch or bad syncros and is something you can fix for free. most short shifter install instructions will have adjustent info.

onemoremile
09-29-2006, 09:06 PM
shifter alignment instructions at the bottom of this link:
http://www.innovativeperformanceproducts.com/B5_Shifter_installation.htm

hey4
09-29-2006, 09:57 PM
well might be a time for new tranny fluid. I know my car would have a very hard time shifting until it was completly warmed up.

Neo1130
09-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I would also make sure all motor mounts/tranny mounts are good...

bassed
09-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Neo1130
I would also make sure all motor mounts/tranny mounts are good...

Replacing all mounts as mentioned along with new fluid and adjusting the SS will be like driving a new car[up]

bellofello
10-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I'll take a look at the trans/motor mounts. I don't have a SS, but can you still adjust it anyways? Would an APR snub mount help with this at all? Like it isn't a major issue, I'm just really picky about little noises and vibrations. Like for example there's the hint of a squeek in the rear from something, I can only hear it lol none of my friends? Shocks going, or my brain going? Hahaha. Thanks for all the suggestions!

onemoremile
10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
the adjustment has nothing to do with the short shifter. after installing a short shifter the mechanism may need an aligment just as your car needs an alignment after a suspension swap. my old vr6 needed that alignment twice and always had a stock shifter. that car was much worse since you needed two people to do the job.