PDA

View Full Version : six problems/ questions

Kyle H
09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
I just got my Audi A4 1.8t a couple months ago, and seriously love it. It's time for the problems to come on though.

First:
ABS control module went out. Shop quoted me $650 out the door, good price?

Second: Engine coolant is low, I'm not sure if it's the orange or pink stuff in there now. Can I just add Water Wetter to it, or add either pink or orange, or should I drain it all and replace it?

Third:
Performance shop I took my car to put 20w50w oil in sayin that's the best for the turbo, I've noticed my oil temp's have been at 200+ constantly now, from 150-175. Should I drain this and replace it or should it be fine for the next 2500 miles?

Fourth:
When my friends dad was looking for a used car, he took the cap off the top of the engine, and told me that if there was air coming out of there, it meant the cylinders were losing compression and that's bad. My 1.8t has much more air blowing out of it than the 91' Honda he was showing me. Is that normal or is it something I should have checked out?

Fifth:
My brakes squeek, a lot. I've been auto-x'ing twice since I got the car and I'm not sure if I've worn out the brake pads or if it's just normal.

Sixth and last:
In the morning when it's about 65 degrees, my clutch is super stiff. In the afternoon when it's about 90 degrees, my clutch is really loose. On steep hills it will noticably start slipping. Is this normal or do I have a clutch that's about to die?

Thanks a lot,
Kyle H

Aliel
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
First Question:
- Estimate is a little high for an ABS control module which most of the time just requires cleaning.

Second Question:
-You need G12 coolant from the dealer. I'd suggest drain the whole thing and add a G12 and Water 50:50 mix. Try to use distilled water.

Third Question:
-I don't know if it is ok to drive with that oil but I would change it to 0w40 or 5w40 if I were you.

Fourth:
-No Idea.

Fifth:
-If they squeek you most probably need brake pads. Mine only squeeked when needed to be changed.

Sixth:
-Clutch is on the way out. Search for aftermarket clutches like Southbend becauese they hold more power and probably cheaper than an OEM one from the dealer.

bOOOOstedAudi
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
First: The abs light could be on for plenty different reason from a speed sensor to a fuse. Have it check by a vw/audi shop

Second: It is G12 in the cooland which is pink but you can take the liberty of adding water wetter. I use it also

Third: You should be using oil in the 10-30 area. 20 50 would be better for big turbo applications but you will not incur any problems running it. You will be fine.

Fourth: I have know clue abou compression.

Fifth: Break may just need the brake lub/glue on them. worse case senario you just need new pads imo.

Sixth: The clutch feeling different in different temps is normal but slippage is a tell tale sign of you needing a new clutch.

Kyle H
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, anyone else?

I'll have my brakes checked out... What kind of brake pads are recommended for our cars? I've heard Mintex Redbox's are good, but then I've heard bad things about those. I'm going to be driving in snow a lot and I'll also be auto-x'ing, so I need them to hold up.

As for the southbend clutches, do I need to get a new flywheel with the clutch? How much would it be for a re-surfacing? Is a lightweight flywheel worth it for our cars?

I took my car into one of the two audi shops within 2 hours, and the guy plugged the computer into my car and immediatly said that since it wouldn't communicate, the ABS control module must have died. Is this something I need to get a second opinion on?

Thanks

bOOOOstedAudi
09-25-2006, 10:41 PM
af far as pad i would start with mintex or ebc (cheaper but good). clutches I would look at ecs's clutch kit or clutchnet

bOOOOstedAudi
09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
also make sure your first 3 mods are chip and dont ask what kind, boostguage, wheels or suspension

Kyle H
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah I have plans for suspension and tires, then the chip/boost guage/dv... then FMIC... then exhaust... then either the K04 P-16 or a GTRS elim eventually.

I've been reading a lot about the performance stuff, I just don't know much about the maintenance. :)

nAUDI
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
first off you shouldnt autocross with low coolant, thats asking for trouble.

if your autrocrossing definately get some track pads.

For the ABS controller:
http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsbsrepair.html

20w-50 is fine, actually my local mechanic recommends 20w-50, i personally use a 40 which is what the manual says

burner799
09-25-2006, 11:19 PM
check for coolant leaks at the oil cooler (i think thats what its called the part that the oil filter screws into) and under the tank itself.........those clamps and hoses are shitty and known to f up. I put zimmerman pads and rotors on the day after i bought my car and they are pretty decent for the price.

lilr4o8
09-25-2006, 11:50 PM
you're clutch is for sure on the way out
mine did the the same thing before it started slipping a ton.
you could use the oem flywheel with the southbend clutch or you could go with the lw. i went with the lw and like it a lot there isn't much chatter and it makes it so much easier to rev match