PDA

View Full Version : Blacked Out Front Grill



Euro
09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Any one have pictures of their front grill de-chromed?

I have the primer and flat black paint. planing on doing it in the next day or two. (soon as I have some time)

I would like to know any Do's or Dont's that people have come over while blacking out the gril.

ANY Modified front grills at all, dont be shy! and post them up. with a small description of what you did, please and thank you, That'd be Awsome

Thanks.

e.van
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I painted the outside surround part.. left the rings and quattro logo chrome. I painted mine with flat-black bumper paint.

can't see the whole grill here, but you get the just of it - too dark to take a new pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/adamsonem/avant/lights_2.jpg

burner799
09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
that looks really nice. too bad my cars black though.

Euro
09-20-2006, 08:42 PM
You car looks great from what I can see.

I was planing the same scheme. Do you think I should use bumper paint instead of just a flat black paint.

How does it match to the inside of the grill in person?

e.van
09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
it matches pretty close, but if you're not satisfied with the outcome, it's not bad popping out the rings and the quattro logo to spray a quick coat on the slats...

you're fine using flat black, i've used that mostly in the past.. i figured the bumper paint might be a little more flexible/more chip-resistant so i used it. it's still just a rattle-can so it's all really the same, more-or-less...

i just spray a few coats of it on there after roughing up the surface (brillo pad or some smooth [1000+ grit] sandpaper).

Euro
09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Good to hear..

did you use any primer ?

I figure if it starts chipping away in 3 months Ill re do it in bumper paint.

RippleChip
09-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Colour matched everything

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/10rip-med.jpg

pipe7284
09-21-2006, 04:19 AM
i painted it all black. check it out.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/2/11300FMIC_017-med.jpg

Starting
09-21-2006, 04:38 AM
still a work in progress
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/hampp2/0b7b939b.jpg

EuroA4
09-21-2006, 05:01 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/EuroA4/IMG_1183.jpg

buck
09-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by e.van
I painted the outside surround part.. left the rings and quattro logo chrome. I painted mine with flat-black bumper paint.

can't see the whole grill here, but you get the just of it - too dark to take a new pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/adamsonem/avant/lights_2.jpg

[up] damn... the black looks pretty good!!

bad pic - but this is painted santorin to match the car - leaving the rings/quattro as is:

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/551sm100_1687-med.JPG

CaSp3r9
09-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Buck, where'd you get your santorin paint? I wanna do that and paint my lowers.

buck
09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CaSp3r9
Buck, where'd you get your santorin paint? I wanna do that and paint my lowers.

I just picked it up at the dealer.... I think it was around $20. It comes with two small aerosol cans - one is the Santorin Blue, one is the Clear Coat. Matched exactly.

It was enough to paint it twice (freakin fly flew into it and stuck to the paint) with a few coats.

Euro
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
All finished.

i think It turned out great. Just what I was Expecting. DIY FTW [wrench]

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/beemerbuyer/Blackout1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/beemerbuyer/Blackout2.jpg

DTMGuy
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
looks good man... really makes a difference... now time to paint your lowers hahaha

burner799
09-21-2006, 03:46 PM
and clear corner

AudiSport12
09-21-2006, 05:22 PM
damn Euro that looks clean. did you paint the inside part of the grille as well? what kind of paint did you use? how many coats of each did you do? you should have done a small write up on this. [up] im debating on wether to do mine a flat black or a gloss black. are the 99.5+ grilles different than the - 99.5?

e.van
09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Makes the front end look a lot softer... looks great man! [up]

Euro
09-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DTMGuy
looks good man... really makes a difference... now time to paint your lowers hahaha

AHHA.. I have the oppointment for next tuesday! [:D]


Originally posted by burner799
and clear corner

Still being more or less unfamilar with the little details of the audi modding scene...

How? Where? How much does it cost? And Im there! Havent searched this at all...

can I just take the orange out from the headlight housing?

Euro
09-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by audisport12
damn Euro that looks clean. did you paint the inside part of the grille as well? what kind of paint did you use? how many coats of each did you do? you should have done a small write up on this. [up] im debating on wether to do mine a flat black or a gloss black. are the 99.5+ grilles different than the - 99.5?

Thank you.

I just panted the outer chrome.
I bought some "rust-o-leum" (or what ever its called) primer and "rust-o-leum" matching Flat black paint.

I poped out the outer chrome part, washed it in my sink with soap and water really really well. Then after drying it very well I used some steel wool to really get all the 6 years worth of dirty-ness off it

(really worked very well. I would suggest doing this to the chrome just to clean it up and give it a great shine. It didnt scratch it at all just took off all the dirt that has embedded it self in the plastic)

Then gave it 3 or 4 coats of primer (letting 5 minutes of drying inbetween each layer)
Once I felt that I had done a enough primer I let it dry for some where around 30 mins and then sprayed it down with the flat black (4 or so coats)

I let that dry for about 4 hours and slapped it back on the car....

Bada-Bing-Bada-Boom. [:D] [wrench]

BTW don't do it in a glossy black.

Ado
09-22-2006, 12:02 AM
awsome.

.aye four.
09-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Starting
still a work in progress
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/hampp2/0b7b939b.jpg

Its always a work in progress with you [wrench]

burner799
09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
dude what lip is that in your sig

DTMGuy
09-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by burner799
dude what lip is that in your sig

I think its an Oettinger lip that he has on

Devious27t
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Euro
Any one have pictures of their front grill de-chromed?

I have the primer and flat black paint. planing on doing it in the next day or two. (soon as I have some time)

I would like to know any Do's or Dont's that people have come over while blacking out the gril.

ANY Modified front grills at all, dont be shy! and post them up. with a small description of what you did, please and thank you, That'd be Awsome

Thanks.

i got an extra grille off of a 2000 if you want an extra to try it on....

Euro
09-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Devious27t
i got an extra grille off of a 2000 if you want an extra to try it on....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/beemerbuyer/Blackout1.jpg


Thanks but this is it finished.

buck
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/adamsonem/avant/lights_2.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/beemerbuyer/Blackout1.jpg



big fan of the flat black now.... might change mine now......[up]

Starting
09-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by .aye four.
Its always a work in progress with you [wrench]

yea that's how it ends up working lol

iowaboostin
09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by buck
big fan of the flat black now.... might change mine now......[up]
Agreed..flat black for sure. I need to wash my car after seeing all these clean A4s [:p]

Euro
09-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by buck
big fan of the flat black now.... might change mine now......[up]


Originally posted by iowaboostin
Agreed..flat black for sure. I need to wash my car after seeing all these clean A4s [:p]

Ohh yeah, Do it!



I really like the difference, the other day I parked next to another Silver A4 at the store and the new grill is way badass over stock chromey-ness [:D]

murph013
09-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by audisport12
damn Euro that looks clean. did you paint the inside part of the grille as well? what kind of paint did you use? how many coats of each did you do? you should have done a small write up on this. [up] im debating on wether to do mine a flat black or a gloss black. are the 99.5+ grilles different than the - 99.5?

Yeah, the grilles on 99.5+ cars are slightly different... except I forget how exactly. Pretty sure it's something to do with the chrome surround piece.

e.van
09-23-2006, 11:48 PM
The chrome on them flows into the back of the grill... It looks a lot newer/better than the ones like I have... blah.