PDA

View Full Version : K04-15, K04-20, K04-23 etc etc

kermac
09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi y'all (from Down Under)

I'm a new AZ member, but not so new to Audis. I had a chipped '96 model for a few years and am now on a 2000 model with GIAC chip, K04-15, 3" turbo-back exhaust and other bits.

I haven't found much on this topic on AZ, but I'm keen to find out the specs of other variants of the K04.

The #15 variant is the usual one found under the bonnets of aspiring A4s, and after driving mine for a while I finally got it onto the dyno. What a bummer![=(] Best run was 114 kW (152 hp). Allowing for quattro drivetrain losses of 35 per cent, this would be around 233 hp at the crank.

This is way below what I anticipated, so I'm looking at ways to upgrade.

The BT [hail] is tempting, but costly. I'm looking at other types of bolt-ins, and have discovered there are other sorts of K04s on the market. Some have different flanges and are only suited to transverse Audi engines (S3, TT), while others are designed for other applications entirely (ultralights and maybe even lawnmowers for all I know[:D]

The K04-23 is one which will apparently bolt straight up, and is slightly larger than the #15. However, I can't find any info about flow rates, hp increases and all that stuff.

Can anyone help out a poor Aussie boy?

Thanks ... kermac

Euro
09-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I was thinking about posting this same type of question (more or less)

I would love for some one to explain a little bit. Bolt on options and what not.

Do's and Dont's with the whole "aftermarket" turbo thing.
That'd be Awsome.

Emil@RENN-ART
09-20-2006, 07:55 PM
K04's will dissapoint most people who haven't done their research and actually know what they're in for. It's not the big jump in power people hope for. It's usually only 15-20whp (sometimes less) more than what they got out of their K03 or K03s (K03s come on the newer 170hp A4's).

Once you've been around the block a few times with the K04, you'll get bored. Don't get me wrong, for some people it's enough, but not for most of us who are looking for a real jump in power.

Do some searches on here and read what people say. Take a lot with a grain of salt of course, and look at the big picture... however, you'll see peoples experiences and some diehard K04 fans sometimes just don't want to admit that they should've probably save a little more and gone with big turbo kit (however, it's also not been that available until just recently.. besides the expensive APR route of course).

kermac
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Right Euro - just give me a minute and I'll try and jot down everything I've learned in the past three or four years[:D]

The short answer (which is also the long answer) is that there's no single source of information.

Enthusiasts seem to browse a number of forums (there's AudiWorld, and Down Under we have OzAudi) which all have their pros and cons.

Start your own threads asking the things you don't know, and you may be surprised how many people will offer helpful information or suggest URLs with useful stuff. But you need to ask fairly specific questions to get specific answers (obviously!)

Just be warned - DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!!! Triangulate your information before you take it on board by asking different people, or on different forums, or ask the same question again in a different way.

One day, you too will be an expert my boy, and star-struck youngsters will hang off your every word.

Depending what sort of responses you get and how much time I have, I'll try and put together a few thoughts. I know I saved some previous posts to Word files, but from memory they were written for Australian conditions and may not be very useful in the US of A.

I'll be in touch.

Best of luck

kermac

kermac
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Emil@RENN-ART
K04's will dissapoint most people who haven't done their research and actually know what they're in for. It's not the big jump in power people hope for. It's usually only 15-20whp (sometimes less) more than what they got out of their K03 or K03s (K03s come on the newer 170hp A4's).

Once you've been around the block a few times with the K04, you'll get bored. Don't get me wrong, for some people it's enough, but not for most of us who are looking for a real jump in power.

Do some searches on here and read what people say. Take a lot with a grain of salt of course, and look at the big picture... however, you'll see peoples experiences and some diehard K04 fans sometimes just don't want to admit that they should've probably save a little more and gone with big turbo kit (however, it's also not been that available until just recently.. besides the expensive APR route of course).

Thanks Emil - this mirrors my thoughts exactly. You are obviously an extremely intelligent person as well as a rich source of unimpeachable information[:D]

Euro
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kermac
Right Euro - just give me a minute and I'll try and jot down everything I've learned in the past three or four years[:D]

The short answer (which is also the long answer) is that there's no single source of information.

Enthusiasts seem to browse a number of forums (there's AudiWorld, and Down Under we have OzAudi) which all have their pros and cons.

Start your own threads asking the things you don't know, and you may be surprised how many people will offer helpful information or suggest URLs with useful stuff. But you need to ask fairly specific questions to get specific answers (obviously!)

Just be warned - DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!!! Triangulate your information before you take it on board by asking different people, or on different forums, or ask the same question again in a different way.

One day, you too will be an expert my boy, and star-struck youngsters will hang off your every word.

Depending what sort of responses you get and how much time I have, I'll try and put together a few thoughts. I know I saved some previous posts to Word files, but from memory they were written for Australian conditions and may not be very useful in the US of A.

I'll be in touch.

Best of luck

kermac

.... I was only complimenting your question by showing an interest in your thread.

I know that by being "an audi veteran" you are automatically far superior than I, that being said Im sorry If it seemed like I was hi-jacking your thread.
I wasn't.

Being new to the whole Audi scene, Im only here to learn [:(]

kermac
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Absolutely no offence taken, Euro. Let me know if I can help out with any of that info I have stored away at the back of my computer...

Euro
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Alright. I will [:D]

[az] ...

ICEBIRGSLIM
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
am i the only one reading this with an austrailian accent in my head......[;)]

kermac
09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Actually, old boy - more Jeremy Irons than Crocodile Hunter. English Public School (which - in that quaint English way - is of course a Private School), Trinity College Dublin followed by Royal Hong Kong Police.

Came to Oz 30 years ago for a rest. Fat bloody chance ...

mike-2ptzero
09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by kermac
Hi y'all (from Down Under)

I'm a new AZ member, but not so new to Audis. I had a chipped '96 model for a few years and am now on a 2000 model with GIAC chip, K04-15, 3" turbo-back exhaust and other bits.

I haven't found much on this topic on AZ, but I'm keen to find out the specs of other variants of the K04.

The #15 variant is the usual one found under the bonnets of aspiring A4s, and after driving mine for a while I finally got it onto the dyno. What a bummer![=(] Best run was 114 kW (152 hp). Allowing for quattro drivetrain losses of 35 per cent, this would be around 233 hp at the crank.

This is way below what I anticipated, so I'm looking at ways to upgrade.

The BT [hail] is tempting, but costly. I'm looking at other types of bolt-ins, and have discovered there are other
sorts of K04s on the market. Some have different flanges and are only suited to transverse Audi engines (S3, TT), while others are designed for other applications entirely (ultralights and maybe even lawnmowers for all I know[:D]

The K04-23 is one which will apparently bolt straight up, and is slightly larger than the #15. However, I can't find any info about flow rates, hp increases and all that stuff.

Can anyone help out a poor Aussie boy?

Thanks ... kermac

Skip the K04-23. IIRC it is made for 1/2 of a 2.7 engine which is only 1.35 liter. On a 1.8t it tends to blow nothing but hot air and you wont find all that much more power vs a standard K04-15. There really is only way to get more power and that is a BT, the cheapest price of the BT's would be the ATP elim kit.

kermac
09-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks Mike. Pretty much the answer I expected, even if the internal dimensions and wheel sizes are marginally larger than the #15 (compressor about 1/2 inch bigger, I believe).

If it's designed for a different application, then it would be foolish to expect it to work better.