PDA

View Full Version : :/:/:/: Sources Aftermarket HeadUnit Harnesses :/:/:/:

audisnapr
09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
hey guys - I need some help finding the correct head unit adapter harnesses for my Avant. I did a search and found some info on the different harnesses/antenna adapters, but was a bit confused by which one is right for the Avant.

The avant comes with a roof mounted antenna, so I'm not entirely sure which adapter I will need for the antenna. Also, which head adapter works with the 2000 's. I understand I won't find the holy grail adapter from car to headunit via Crutchfield and I'm OK working with wiring, but I at least don't want to cut up the Audi factory wiring if at all possible.

Got any links to the correct setup? "2000 Avant"

<edit> forgot to mention, the avant comes with a facotry sub - so the HU adapter needs to work with that as well - if that's possible.

Starting
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
it really isn't bad cutting up the wiring. i had a list of all the wires but it's at home. sorry.

audisnapr
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I'd rather just pick up the correct harness, but thanks. BTW, I won't be doing any speaker upgrades, so I need the new HU to work with the factory speakers (including the rear factory sub) and whatever else is in there.

Sal R.
09-19-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-1787

audisnapr
09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks Sal for responding - guess I forgot one thing - I have a symphony system. will this plug work for the symphony as well as the bose?

EVIL-AUDI
09-19-2006, 04:48 PM
If you need wiring help later on Joe, just let me know.

audisnapr
09-19-2006, 04:53 PM
thanks evil, I appreciate it. I'll def need some help at some point. Have the wideband, a/f gauge, ebc, head unit, etc... all needs to get done once the custom console is ready.

BoostTed
09-19-2006, 06:52 PM
for the headunit, use the VW adaptors. For the antenna you will need a power antenna adaptor, lots of company makes these and there isnt a specific vw/audi one.

ny02s4
09-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Sal R.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-1787

thats exactly what i used on my S4 when i had an Alpine radio. You will also need to buy a VW/Audi Amplified antenna adapter.

Sal R.
09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
What they said.

audisnapr
09-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ny02s4
thats exactly what i used on my S4 when i had an Alpine radio. You will also need to buy a VW/Audi Amplified antenna adapter.

thanks again guys - just to confirm, the "VW/Audi Amplified antenna adapter" works with the avant as well, correct? Avants have the roof mounted antenna. Just want to make sure I got this straight. I had read in one of the threads that the antenna adapter for the avant and sedan were different.

Poopie
09-20-2006, 05:00 AM
i just cut up the factory harness. I ended up not using it at all except for the antenna since i run two amps for sub and speakers. I didn't have enough room back there to fit all this mumbo jumbo

ny02s4
09-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by audisnapr
thanks again guys - just to confirm, the "VW/Audi Amplified antenna adapter" works with the avant as well, correct? Avants have the roof mounted antenna. Just want to make sure I got this straight. I had read in one of the threads that the antenna adapter for the avant and sedan were different.

yes... you gotta stop thinking that the avant is dramatically different when its not at all when it comes to the stereo system.

audisnapr
09-20-2006, 08:32 AM
ha - ok - that's why I posted because the threads I read made it seem as if it was.

audisnapr
09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
the link above that takes me to the 70-1787 - what are the RCA cables for? Do they plug into the back of the new aftermearket headunit? I think I have two sets of pre-amp outs on the new blaupunkt, but just need to make sure I know what I'm getting before I order. Sorry guys, don't mean to be a PITA here about this stuff. Just want to order the correct shiat and not have to go through the hassel of sending it back if its not right.

Also, I see the 40-VW53 as an option for the antenna adapter - can someone confirm it will work?

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=40-vw53

Sal R.
09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes. The RCAs are for you new outputs from w/e source you choose for sound and the plug is for the factory wiring harnesses.