PDA

View Full Version : saturday's mod/maint summary (pics)



ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
replaced coolant tank because of this:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01184.sized.jpg
replace cam chain tensioner (valve train with 93K miles of synth):
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01194.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01199.sized.jpg
intake:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01200.sized.jpg
exhaust:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01202.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01203.sized.jpg
Pitting on intake cam lobe:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01205.sized.jpg
no gunk or sludge on tensioner screen:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01206.sized.jpg
the cam is free:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01208.sized.jpg

tensioner replaced and second oil splash guard added:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01209.sized.jpg
replaced stock valve cover with one from an ATC engine:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01187.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01189.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01190.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01191.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01211.sized.jpg
AWM PCV plumbing installed:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01212.sized.jpg
finished pic:
(not availible, it was too dark...lol)

TQMB5
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
whats the differents from stock to your aftermarket valve cover?

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by TQMB5
whats the differents from stock to your aftermarket valve cover?

its allows crank case venting through the valve cover for AEB/ATW models. it not aftermarket per se, its a OEM vw/audi part off a different car.

marcini
09-18-2006, 12:15 PM
how hard was to replace the cam chain tensioner. Could you describe the process a litlle. You leave the chain in its place and just remove the old tensioner or how does that work?

thanks

bOOOOstedAudi
09-18-2006, 12:45 PM
your engine is immaculate

ICEBIRGSLIM
09-18-2006, 12:50 PM
nice!

hey4
09-18-2006, 01:04 PM
did you take the head off? And which way are the lobes supposed to be pointing when you have the T-belt marks aligned?

onemoremile
09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
excellent. is a catch tank next?

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by marcini
how hard was to replace the cam chain tensioner. Could you describe the process a litlle. You leave the chain in its place and just remove the old tensioner or how does that work?

thanks

its not 'hard'...its just if you f up...you really f up.

sure here are the steps:
there are more steps, here are the basics...
-take off valve cover
-MARK THE CHAIN AND CAMS
-install tensioner tool
-unbolt bearing caps to intake cam
-unbolt tensioner
-rotate tensioner and intake cam out
-remove tensioner
-remove and install tensioner gasket
-install new tensioner
-bolt down tensioner and caps
-remove second tool
-put it all back together

pics of the process from an AWer:
http://public.fotki.com/andy_R/cct/
the rest of my pics:
http://www.modifieda4.com/gallery/cam-chain-tensioner
a pretty decent writeup:
http://ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by bOOOOstedAudi
your engine is immaculate

thanks!

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by hey4
did you take the head off? And which way are the lobes supposed to be pointing when you have the T-belt marks aligned?

no, the head stays on...the only thing that is removed is the valve cover. you have to put cyl #1 at TDC. mine happened to be there when i popped the cover off. this is so the cam marks are facing up.

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
excellent. is a catch tank next?

no near term plans for a catch can...i have the pancake valve from the TT225 modded in. it is more restrictive, so the vacuum draw from the crankcase is less, which should result in less oil in the intake system.

Wholsea
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
What is the recommended maintenance period for the cam chain tensioner?

hey4
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ModifiedA4
no, the head stays on...the only thing that is removed is the valve cover. you have to put cyl #1 at TDC. mine happened to be there when i popped the cover off. this is so the cam marks are facing up.
I had mine off and I didn't mark the way the lobes were facing so I was wondering if you remember which way your were facing with the engine at TDC?

LateraLex
09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Man... nice looking engine.

badassb5
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Where can one pick up a valve cover from off of an ATC

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by hey4
I had mine off and I didn't mark the way the lobes were facing so I was wondering if you remember which way your were facing with the engine at TDC?

with cyl #1 at TDC both cams have a notch near the tensioner which faces up. you can see both in this pic:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01203.sized.jpg

ModifiedA4
09-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by badassb5
Where can one pick up a valve cover from off of an ATC

i got mine from 1stvwparts.com new, you probably could pull one off a parts car too.

hey4
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ModifiedA4
with cyl #1 at TDC both cams have a notch near the tensioner which faces up. you can see both in this pic:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/cam-chain-tensioner/DSC01203.sized.jpg
well I did that originaly but I have trouble locating the notches now for some reason. There is supposed to be 16rollers between the two notches correct? I have to check over my work but maybe you can tell. Are all of the valves supposed to be completley shut say at TDC. The way I have it set up now, at any point in time meaning roation both of the exhaust valves that are supposed to open next are slighlitly open(around 1mm) is this normal or did I totaly screw up?

salz2135
09-18-2006, 05:07 PM
thanks for posting up on AZ too. always interesting to see what you're up to on weekends.

do you have any pics the steps involved in hooking the valve cover vent up to the AWM PCV system?

nizmosx
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
would this be a good upgrade for the aeb motor. i need to replace mine anyway so this could be a possibility.

badassb5
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
what model vehicle did the valve cover come off of? I have tried finding it on a couple sites and have had no luck finding that engine code? Sorry if its a noobish question

ModifiedA4
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by badassb5
what model vehicle did the valve cover come off of? I have tried finding it on a couple sites and have had no luck finding that engine code? Sorry if its a noobish question

you can find this part on these cars:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/random-pics/ATC_valve_cover.jpg

ModifiedA4
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by nizmosx
would this be a good upgrade for the aeb motor. i need to replace mine anyway so this could be a possibility.

perhaps for a more heavily modded motor sure...

Wholsea
09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Lemme ask again, anyone know what the maintenance period is for this cam chain tensioner?

ModifiedA4
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Wholsea
Lemme ask again, anyone know what the maintenance period is for this cam chain tensioner?

i think its on the "wait for it to make noise then replace" schedule.

bassed
09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ModifiedA4
i think its on the "wait for it to make noise then replace" schedule.

You mean wait till it sounds like you switched to a diesel over night?:)

ModifiedA4
09-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bassed
You mean wait till it sounds like you switched to a diesel over night?:)

thats what i hear :) i just did it because it was there and i needed to change the gasket under it. plus i have nearly 100k miles on it.

KenMack
09-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Looks like you did a really nice job. I thank you for posting this stuff. Reminds me that my 100K tune up is quickly approaching. On a scale of 1-10 Where would you say these DIY are at (10 being the hardest)?

ModifiedA4
09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by KenMack
Looks like you did a really nice job. I thank you for posting this stuff. Reminds me that my 100K tune up is quickly approaching. On a scale of 1-10 Where would you say these DIY are at (10 being the hardest)?

thanks :)

i'd say its a 3-5. just dont fvck it up :)

KenMack
09-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I hear that. That's what the super thick shop manual is for. :D

I just thinking... weird design. I wonder why Audi/VW opted to go with the timing belt and chain configuration, rather than have the belt loop over both cams. Just another source for headaches I guess.