PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it to replace only 2 tires on a Quattro?

MEDEL51480
09-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I have a set of Oettingers with 2 good Dunlop tires, but the other 2 need replacement.

How much treadwear difference is too much between the used and new tires to run on a Quattro drivetrain?

The 2 good tires seem barley used so I'd hate to just get rid of them.

iin10ded
09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
it's not a big deal. as long as they're the same size and similar traction / wear ratings you'll be fine. i'd try to keep the f+r pair's of tires the same size / brand.

you don't want 180/60/15 snows on back and 225/40/17 kuhmo's on front.

altho that *might* look kinda badass..

audithisworld
09-14-2006, 11:19 PM
when i first bought my car i had either news in the front and not so new in the back or vice versa. it was raining out, took a turn a little too sharp, and almost crashed into a curb after losing control

buck
09-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by audithisworld
when i first bought my car i had either news in the front and not so new in the back or vice versa. it was raining out, took a turn a little too sharp, and almost crashed into a curb after losing control

probably due to taking the corner too sharp!!!

If replacing 2 tires, replace either the front ones or the back ones... not side to side.

you'll be fine if it's the same size tire.

Wholsea
09-15-2006, 03:33 AM
I knew a guy who replaced two tires on his quattro and messed up his rear diff...

I say, if you are going to buy new tires, just buy all new tires and make sure you rotate on a schedule... (Every 6k miles)

DDQ
09-15-2006, 05:29 AM
I'd just buy four new ones and use the other two as spares, or just sell them.

You probably wouldn't mess anything up as stated above, but I would never want to have un-matching tires on my car. Looks ghetto.

1 ate T
09-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by DDQ
I'd just buy four new ones and use the other two as spares, or just sell them.

You probably wouldn't mess anything up as stated above, but I would never want to have un-matching tires on my car. Looks ghetto.

+1. You'll be happy you bought new.

qttroking
09-15-2006, 06:09 AM
you NEVER replace only two tires on a quattro. NEVER

buck
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Lucky1.8t
you NEVER replace only two tires on a quattro. NEVER

why - did you break something?

you seem to be very sure

qttroking
09-15-2006, 07:28 AM
No, i personally didnt, but i work for audi and have seen all kinds of hell happen due to only changing two tires. the diffs dont like it.

mike-2ptzero
09-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Most likely it didn't have anything to do with them having 2 new tires on the car, maybe more on the lines that they had 2 tires that were different sizes on either side of that diff.

BTW if it isn't wise to use a new tire or smaller tire then maybe you could ask Audi why some of the quattro cars come with a small spare.

Wholsea
09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Because the sidewall says the tires are all the same size doesn't mean the treadwear is the same on all 4 tires..

you put 20-40k miles on a tire, that tire is no longer the same size as when you started...

buck
09-15-2006, 08:10 AM
No, i personally didnt, but i work for audi and have seen all kinds of hell happen due to only changing two tires. the diffs dont like it.

Hmmmmm.... maybe I'll have to stick to driving in a straight line from here on in.... can't afford the diff to cack on me from turning corners!!

whenever you corner, your rear wheels travel less distance than your front wheels..... generally meaning less rotations of the rears, and more on the fronts (there's also differences from left to right). If the diff can handle that - I'm sure it can handle two new on one end providing they are the same size and/or very similar O.D.

Anyhoo - I wouldn't be too worried here.

[wrench]

qttroking
09-15-2006, 08:52 AM
yes i agree, but tires when they wear down are no longer the same height. and when you replace just two tires and the two others are bad you are asking for problems.

buck
09-15-2006, 08:55 AM
^^^^ understood - but he said that his other two look fine - so he's better off replacing 2 than leaving it as is.

qttroking
09-15-2006, 08:58 AM
if they still have 80% life you are fine, just put the new ones up front.

mike-2ptzero
09-15-2006, 09:11 AM
yes i agree, but tires when they wear down are no longer the same height. and when you replace just two tires and the two others are bad you are asking for problems.

So when you blow 1 tire and have to put on a spare, does that mean you need 4 spares? [;)]

qttroking
09-15-2006, 09:12 AM
temporarily its ok, i was refering to long term.

Re5pectThe_Cuz
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
your not gonna keep a spare on for more than 50 miles and probably arent going to be taking some sharp turns with it as well....
from my experiences in the tire industry, you replace 4 at a time on a Quattro. just as mentioned above, tires wear down and become smaller.

LateraLex
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
As you can see no one actually knows. I'd side with my mechanic on this one and agree its fine to run 2 new tires.

MEDEL51480
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
The tires I have now are Dunlop FM901's. 2 of them are good, I was gonna replace the 2 bad ones with new Dunlop FM901's of the same size. So many mixed views, I'll get a tread guage and see what the wear on the used tires compare to a set of new tires.

18T
09-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Well i work for audi as well and when i talk to the mechs they said its ok to run 2 new tires as long as its either in the front or the back. dont interchange them.

Re5pectThe_Cuz
09-15-2006, 10:18 PM
the FM901 was discontinued replaced by Direzza

soupie69uk
09-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Yeah i would say its fine to change just two solong as it both front ones or both rear. Audi did this for me when i bought the car.

Also imagine you had a blow out and needed to replace that one tyre with a new one! Some would then be thinking they need to buy all four, i doubt that is the case though.

ModifiedA4
09-16-2006, 06:00 AM
two new tires is fine as long as they are matched left to right (i.e. front to rear pairs).

fred2ka4
09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
As long as the two tires are on the same axle, you will be ok. I recently got a flat and had to replace two rear tires, (235/35/19)

On most new tires you have 10/32 of tread, so if you are a couple of 32's off between the front tires and the rear's you will be fine. After I replaced the rears, I had the fronts measured, and I still had 8/32's left and that is good. You don't want to mix match brands because they vary in overall height and width. So if you do decide to replace two tires only, at least make sure that they are from the same manufacturer, so that the ONLY difference is the overall height between front and rear. I would also have the place where you buy your tires from measure the tread depth, so that you know how much off you are between the front and the rear.

Hope that helps .... [:D] [up]

Ryan S.
09-17-2006, 06:23 AM
of course a tire shop or 90% of mechanics would tell you that you need to replace all 4...money rules all $$$$$$$$