PDA

View Full Version : good/bad day........

boostedup
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Well the good thing is I finally got chipped. (thanks Dave from AW for install and NorcalDriver from AZ for the sale). 1.0 bar APR chip. loving it and wish I would of done it sooner........

anyways, on to the bad, my temp gauge is spazzing out. it stays on Cold, if I stop for awhile it'll go back to normal temp, then when I drive off it goes back to Cold?? Me and Dave were talking and we were thinking MAYBE thermostat, but the gauge goes from Normal operating temperature to Cold very quickly (within 1 or 2 seconds) so we ruled that out, and think it's something to do with the instrument cluster.

I did have a code but we erased it.......

anyone have any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else?? any help is appreciated. TIA.

Poopie
04-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Was your code called intermittant signal? I had one. Just try to replace the sensor first. Mine did that sort of. Some days it worked, some days it didn't.

boostedup
04-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Poopie
Was your code called intermittant signal? I had one. Just try to replace the sensor first. Mine did that sort of. Some days it worked, some days it didn't.

i think so, i'll have to wait for it to pop up again (shouldve wrote it down). where is the sensor located, and did it fix your problem??

Poopie
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes it fixed my problem. I still have a thermostat issue that will be resolved when I do my timing belt in a month. Search in the audiworld tech section for the coolant sensor replacement write up.

AudiA4_20T
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
You santorins and your problems...!

SeanF
04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
sounds like my thermostat issue, but it took longer than 1-2 seconds to change... more like 1-2 minutes... id guess its your sensor too...

boostedup
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by AudiA4_18T
You santorins and your problems...!

seriously.........I bet you if my car was white this wouldn't happen![=(] I'ts racism I tell you[:D]

ya I believe it is the Engine Temp Sensor, I've heard it's a 5 minute job (thank god).

hey Poopie, what did you pay for the sensor and where did you get it from. (don't feel like getting robbed at the stealership.

At least I'm chipped now[:D]

werksmini
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I have the most unlucky car ever. I have driven it 10 days total and I already have 2 tickets, and some sort of ecu/fuel issue.

Poopie
04-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I tried to order from pep boys, got the wrong part. ordered form ECS, got the wrong part as well. I opted to get robbed by the stealership. After shipping charges at ECS, its only about 8 bucks more at the dealership so not too bad. 33 bucks total

boostedup
04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Do the dealership is it then...........$33 isn't that bad at all.

boostedup
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I went to Classic VW on OBT (florida) and picked up the Engine Coolant Sensor (ECS). was $8.00, O-Ring $2, and clip 69cents. about $11 bucks total.

Used the tech article from AW, The one for the B6 since the 2 others are for 2.8's.

And damn that thing is a bitch to put back on. It's a Very easy job. But space is VERY LIMITED. I mean knuckle busting everywhere! There's barely room to get your hand in there to get that stupid clip on right. Well anyway, as usual a 5 minute job turned into a 45 minute job(i did also change 2 or 3 vaccum hoses that looked pretty brittle though). But in the End it was all worth it. My temp. gauge is back to normal and working perfectly now....thanks to everyone with your help on figuring out what was wrong with it.............

Poopie
04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
good to hear. You got luck on your year lol. I had to get the 4 pin square blue one which is like the odd ball of all the temp sensors.

Quattrocket
04-05-2006, 05:02 PM
theres a write-up in the tech section on AW - http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
its easier to do on a non DBW car. so I guess you suck.[:p]

Quattrocket
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
theres a write-up in the tech section on AW - http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
its easier to do on a non DBW car because there is no breather on the back of the valve cover. so I guess you suck.[:p]

oops

boostedup
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Poopie
good to hear. You got luck on your year lol. I had to get the 4 pin square blue one which is like the odd ball of all the temp sensors.

Ya, mine was the green sensor, VW had them in stock. Thanx for your help on it......[up]