PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Advice

TheTrap
04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I just purchased a 96 A4 2.8L. I wanted to get a 1.8T but I couldn't find one in my price range, and I thought the extra HP from the 6 might be nice until I can spend some money on mods. I was hoping some of the fine people here on AZ might be able to give me some advice since I'm new. I was wondering if there is one source that seems to be better than another for performance parts, or if it just depends on what you're looking for. I live in Kentucky, so I don't know what's available around here yet. I was also hoping that I could get some suggestions as far as initial upgrades to the car. I think one of my first purchases will probably be a short-throw shifter, but I'm open to ideas. Feel free to reply to this post or PM me. Also, if there's a specific part of the site where newbs like me can go to get all of our "dumb questions" answered, I'd appreciate a little guidance.
Thanks-
Zach

AElucky83
04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
well wellcome to the zine..first thing you should do instead of jumping on the mods is making sure all of your maintanance has been taken care of..how many miles are on the car? check suspention and engine. Lexington or Frankfurt..I cant remember which one has Fast Enough Racing...the guy who owns it tunes audis and has a old audi coupe with over 500hp so i am sure he could get you just about any part..last time i was there he had a pair of nice flik wheels and tires for pretty cheap

TheTrap
04-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info. The car has 110K miles on it, so for a 96 I didn't think that was too bad. The guy said he just had both catalytic converters replaced about 3 weeks ago, and the timing belt and water pump have been done within the last 6 months. Thanks for the reference to that shop too. I'll have to look them up, but they can't be that far from me. Any events that happen in KY, not just for Audis but for tuners in general?

blacka41point8t
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
your best friend on here is going to be the search button. thats where you will find most of your answers. As far as mods go don't expect your car to be to much faster due to it being a 12v which the only mods you can do are exhaust,suspension,cosmetic stuff and some little things here and there like you mentioned a short throw.