PDA

View Full Version : Got A New Code

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 09:13 AM
16395 P0020 -A- Camshaft Pos. Actuator Circ. Bank 2 Malfunction

Long story warning:
Well this is a new one for me. I did a search and only came up with one other match. It looked like his CMP might have been going bad. Heres my story. I had been driving the car hard earlier in the day and when I took it out again later after about 15-20min of driving I hear this loud explosion and get a back fire. When I say loud I mean LOUD. My inital reaction was great my TB just broke, becasue I'm changing it next week and with my luck it would go now. The car died right away and I got off to the side of the road. I was looking around and I found that I had torn my DV hose right apart, ripped right in half. So I think ok no big deal I unhook the MAF and take it home. Well I did that and went to start it, it turned over and it started but was giving this bad grinding rough noise. So I turned it off right away. 10 min later I try again, starts up perfect, drives home fine, no weird noises nothing. So I pulled the codes and thats what I got. Any help, think I really need a new CMP or it just threw the sensor because of the sudden loss of pressure to the engine? I'm replacing the hose now and I will clear the code and see if it comes back.

Thanks for anyone who actually reads all that [:)]

Don Supreme
03-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I read it, but cannot offer an answer haha..

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Ha, thanks for the bump then [up]

boostedup
03-31-2006, 09:53 AM
well when my timing belt broke, I got that same code. There is no actual code for timing belt breakage. Doesn't sound like yours did though since your car turned over and still runs (i bent valves, and rebuilt the engine).
All I can say is the camshaft position sensor is located under the timing belt cover all the way at the top. (small round metal cover is the actual sensor.)

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah if I need a new sensor I will just replace it when I do the TB next week. Is it possible that I slipped timing and slightly bent some valves and it would still run the way it did?

boostedup
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
it's possible it slipped a tooth or two but maybe didn't damage the valves?? It's definitley worth looking at since your gonna have everything torn apart next week.........I would minimize driving until TB job, how many miles do you have??

boostedup
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
it's possible it slipped a tooth or two but maybe didn't damage the valves?? It's definitley worth looking at since your gonna have everything torn apart next week.........I would minimize driving until TB job, how many miles do you have??

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
75,000. I would like to find out that everything is ok with the engine before I order the TB kit so I dont waste that money. Any ideas on that?

boostedup
03-31-2006, 10:50 AM
??mechanic?? I didnt even mess with the engine rebuild, I do alot of my own work, but that was a little too extensive and time consuming for my taste. So i took it to a mechanic. Yes i paid an arm and a leg.........

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Any one with any more info?

Quattrocket
03-31-2006, 03:28 PM
thats weird, any loud ticking? maybe cam chain failure or a slip in the valve timing? im just talking outta my ass here offerin ideas... i have mo real idea

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Nope, no loud ticking. Well no loud ticking or of the ordinary I should say.

01'A41.8T
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
BANG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/VW2.0GTi/BLOWS.jpg

My theory is that because I was under boost when it blew the sudden loss of pressure caused the TB to slip setting off my cam sensor. Does that sound possible?

Quattrocket
04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Here's my CSI thought on what happened. either the TB slipped or the cam chain tensioner went and cause the intake valves to not open at the right time. This caused a back-up of pressure inside the turbo lines breaking the hose in question. OR the DV failed in the closed position causing the pressure to build up and destroyed the hose.
Well, thats the best I got. probobly just made myself look retarded

01'A41.8T
04-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Actually I think you may be on to something. I found a splice in the small hose on top of the DV. Which means the DV should have been open but it didn't and blew the hose.

01'A41.8T
04-01-2006, 10:19 PM
If my timing belt slipped would the cam sensor keep throwing a code after I clear it?

boostedup
04-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
If my timing belt slipped would the cam sensor keep throwing a code after I clear it?

I would park your car till you get that timing belt done, my advice to you., and replace the sensor while your in there. TRUST ME(speaking from experience) you do not want to go through the hassle of changing valves and machining heads, it's not fun or cheap either..........