PDA

View Full Version : Axle... Wtf.

joski
03-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Okay so here's the story:

2 months ago, due to my stupidity during the winter months, I procrastinated and didn't replace the CV boot when it was torn. This resulted in a busted axle, which I bought as a refurb and installed no problems.

This replacement axle served well for 2 months, then randomly while I was driving and maintaining speed, my car started free-revving. At first I thought it was the clutch, and when I finally got the car in the air, I realized the exact same boot was torn a bit. So I tried to turn the axle and it was spinning freely but not moving the tire, the opposite side would turn everything when I turned it's axle.

So we took the boot off the joint and it looked like the clip on the spindle was rounded, so we figured that's why the axle popped out. Besides that, there was no visible damage. So we replaced the CV boot and had the new clip on and popped that joint back on.

Car ended up driving out of my garage and down my road. I chose to go back home because it seemed to be working and as I was turning left down the road, it popped off again (busted axle is on the passenger side)!

So we pushed the car back to my house and it's the same thing. The axle moves back and forth a half inch or so when it should really be tightly in there.

Could there possibly something else that's causing this or does it sound like I just bought a shitty refurb? It has a lifetime warranty, so I'm taking it off tonight and getting a replacement elsewhere - hopefully getting reimbursed for the piece of shit I bought 2 months ago.

Any other suggestions?

badassbaldie
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Does sound like you got a bad axle. One thing I've learned through the years is that I always replace the parts that require alot of work with new.

I suggest giving Marty a call at RAXLES (888-257-8192). He's very helpful and a nice guy. I'm in the process of changing my front passenger's side axle too and I ordered it from him. Cost me $196.00 shipped (should arrive today). Marty even sent me the tool needed to remove it from the tranny. DAFT also spoke highly of him.

Here's the site:

www.raxles.com

AudiA4_20T
03-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Yea definately... I did mine myself (Raxles) PM me if u need help on it.

joski
03-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Wow thanks alot! I've got a replacement lined up already but I'll keep him in mind. I might call just to ask about my problem - unless of course that seems taboo as I won't actually be buying a part from him..?

joski
03-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Also, does anyone recall the size of 12-point torx head off hand? The 8 bolts that go from the inner joint to the transmission. Thanks.

badassbaldie
03-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Also, does anyone recall the size of 12-point torx head off hand? The 8 bolts that go from the inner joint to the transmission. Thanks.

The 12-point Torx bit is 10mm. I just got my axle and they included the tools with it.

Wholsea
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Make sure you torque your collar bolt to 90ft-lbs plus 1/4 turn...

Are you sure it's a 10mm star bit? My inner CV Joint tool fits into an 8mm socket

http://www.ohiovw.com/cars/gallery/bbuxton-mid-2579-8mm%20Star%20Bit.JPG

BTW the outter collar bolt is 14mm

badassbaldie
03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Are you sure it's a 10mm star bit? My inner CV Joint tool fits into an 8mm socket

Positive. You are correct about the 14 mm outer bolt.

joker1626
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Just did my axle. Got it from Raxles. I gotta say, I was very impressed with the axle, it looked as good (if not better) than the new OEM part I bought 3 months ago. Raxles= [up]