PDA

View Full Version : quattro: front brakes or front and back?

RomanA6
03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I have a 2000 A6 2.7T with 6spd manual

the car is daily driver, to work, school, and so on
it sounds like my brake pads are going to need to be replaced in a short while, so before they do, I'd like to plan out and maybe do something different with brakes

Big Brake Kits are quiet expensive and I really can't justify paying that much for them

so I am looking at ECS and other websites to get some idea for t he prices, my question is, recomendations for quattro

first, is it ok just to do front, or I will have to do front and rear at the same time
second, slotted vs. cross drilled vs. cross drilled/slotted
third, brake pads, I am more worried about them lasting a little longer and having superior braking power, then brake dust

so any suggestions?

jeremy@matrix
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by RomanA6
I have a 2000 A6 2.7T with 6spd manual

the car is daily driver, to work, school, and so on
it sounds like my brake pads are going to need to be replaced in a short while, so before they do, I'd like to plan out and maybe do something different with brakes

Big Brake Kits are quiet expensive and I really can't justify paying that much for them

so I am looking at ECS and other websites to get some idea for t he prices, my question is, recomendations for quattro

first, is it ok just to do front, or I will have to do front and rear at the same time
second, slotted vs. cross drilled vs. cross drilled/slotted
third, brake pads, I am more worried about them lasting a little longer and having superior braking power, then brake dust

so any suggestions?

Hi Roman,

If only your front pads/rotors need to be replaced then just replace them. If only your rears need to be replaced, replace them. You don't need to replace the front and rear brakes together unless they both need it.

Rotors; The only OEM option for your A6 is a Zimmerman x-drilled set;
12.6" Zimmerman x-drilled front rotor for B5 S4/A6 2.7T

Otherwise, you have the option of OEM solid Zimmerman's or STaSIS' XDR set;

12.6"(321x30mm) Zimmerman solid front brake rotor for B5 S4/A6 2.7T

STaSIS Street Sport XDR front rotor kit for S4/S6/A6/Allroad 2.7T; 2 Alcon (321 x 30mm) directionally vented/heat treated/segmented gas slotted 2pc floating rotors, 2 STaSIS directionally vented rotor mounting hats

There are some "tuners" that are selling slotted or x-drilled/slotted rotors which are supposedly OEM. However, these rotors have not been slotted or x-drilled/slotted by an OEM manufacturer like Brembo, ATE, or Zimmerman...again, as Zimmerman is the only OEM manufacturer to make anything other than a solid rotor.

Rotors that are x-drilled or slotted after casting are likely to crack, etc.

There are no OEM x-drilled rotors for the rear.

For pads, we'd highly recommend Pagid OEM, Mintex red box, or Hawk HPS Street (HP Plus are nice but the squeak like a school bus at slow speeds).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

RomanA6
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
which would be better for regular driving, slotted or x-drilled? are they better then a regular solid rotor? on your website you have XDR brake kit but only for B5 S4, nothing for A6?
which brake pads would you recomend?
there are only stock wheels, 16" on it, with 215/55/16 rubbber, I do not plan to upgrade wheels, for now

do you have AIM or MSN?

Thanks!

also, I think Mintex red box are too dusty

jeremy@matrix
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
which would be better for regular driving, slotted or x-drilled? are they better then a regular solid rotor? on your website you have XDR brake kit but only for B5 S4, nothing for A6?
which brake pads would you recomend?
there are only stock wheels, 16" on it, with 215/55/16 rubbber, I do not plan to upgrade wheels, for now

do you have AIM or MSN?

Thanks!

also, I think Mintex red box are too dusty

Any of the three would be fine actually.

Yes, the XDR front rotor kit does fit the A6/Allroad with HP2 front setup. I'll fix the typo; thanks!

Really on the Mintex red box? We haven't had any complaints. Other than those the Hawk HPS Street's are nice.

LMK how we can help.

RomanA6
04-03-2006, 07:43 PM
aren't they all the same? I think the Mintex are the ones that we had put on the ML320 and wheels get a noticible amount of brake dust, maybe I'm just picky

how do I order? call you guys up?

and also, what is included in XDR set? and where can I find Zimmerman's? price is a little of concern [:o]

warrenty on your XDR kit? car now has 88k miles out of which I put in the last 30k in 1 year and haven't checked how bad are the brakes yet, but they are working perfect - for now, as soon as they go I want to have a set ready, so it's not like I'm in real hurry, but I would like to change them by the time I hit 100k

jeremy@matrix
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
aren't they all the same? I think the Mintex are the ones that we had put on the ML320 and wheels get a noticible amount of brake dust, maybe I'm just picky

how do I order? call you guys up?

and also, what is included in XDR set? and where can I find Zimmerman's? price is a little of concern [:o]

warrenty on your XDR kit? car now has 88k miles out of which I put in the last 30k in 1 year and haven't checked how bad are the brakes yet, but they are working perfect - for now, as soon as they go I want to have a set ready, so it's not like I'm in real hurry, but I would like to change them by the time I hit 100k

Feel free to call or email (email works best if it works for you).

STaSIS StreetSport 12.6" XDR front rotor kit for S4/A6/Allroad 2.7T; 2 Alcon (321 x 30mm) directionally vented/heat treated/segmented gas slotted 2pc floating rotors, 2 STaSIS directionally vented rotor mounting hats
$895

We can help with Zimmerman's. We just ordered a set for another client.

STaSIS/Alcon's products are warrantied for quality/craftmanship. We have NOT had any issues to date.

Feel free to email me with what you're after; jeremy@matrixintegrated.cc