PDA

View Full Version : What is a tipchip?

KPC1.8TQuat
03-26-2006, 07:29 AM
I've got a 1999 1.8t with triptronic. In another thread I started I asked about which performance mods I should priorotize and the term tipchip from giac came up a bunch of times. I decided to go with an apr ecu chip and an apr boost gauge as per the recomendations from the people who replied to my other thread. However, I would like to know more about what a tipchip does. It sounds like it does something to speed of the gear change of my trip tranny, but I'm still not sure. Someone actualy said I could improve my 0-60 by a whole second. So, if someone could explain to me what a tipchip does and where I should look into getting one, I would love to know. Thanks!

TJHUB
03-26-2006, 07:38 AM
The Tip Chip speeds up the reaction time of the tip lever or buttons. It does NOT make actual shift times faster. The reation time is about 1 sec. stock, the Tip Chip reduces that by a claimed .8 sec. It works well for what it does. It also supposed to increase internal fluid pressures as well, but it can't be by much. For the $250.00, I'd say it's worth while.

BTW: It does NOTHING to make the car faster.

AudiSnawb
03-26-2006, 07:40 AM
The Tip chip reprograms the transmission to reduce the time between lever movement and the transmission's actual shift, so that the quickly spooling engine doesn't outrun the tranny when the throttle is mashed open. The stock Audi Tiptronic tends to take its sweet time from when you bump the shifter to when the next gear is engaged.

TJHUB
03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
On another note. As I increased the power of my car, the shifting got worse. It was lazy and seemed to hesitate between gears. That's why I upgraded the valve body. It's perfect now. Shifts are very fast.

4kinboost
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Did you get higher stall conv. also??

I'm anxious to see a bt /triptronic car built properly. It should get to the 11's easy if the tranny can hold up. How strong are the automatics??

TJHUB
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 4kinboost
Did you get higher stall conv. also??

I'm anxious to see a bt /triptronic car built properly. It should get to the 11's easy if the tranny can hold up. How strong are the automatics??

No TC yet. I wasn't ever going to go BT, but here I go. I just did the VB as it was suggested with the K04 power. Since I'm going to go BT, I will do the higher stall TC from Level 10 sometime this spring or early summer. I would like to get the most from the turbo without getting crazy. I've decided to keep the car until it dies, so I'll put a few more $$$ into it. From what I understand, with the TC and VB, the ~300 HP I hope to get (yes, that's all) should be just fine.

loustylez
10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TJHUB
On another note. As I increased the power of my car, the shifting got worse. It was lazy and seemed to hesitate between gears. That's why I upgraded the valve body. It's perfect now. Shifts are very fast.

you might have been having the same problem as me which i'm desperately trying to solve. my car doesn't shift smooth unless i really try... i dunno, hard to explain. i go in to quite a bit of detail in this thread.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97117&highlight=throttle+body

i would super appreciate if you could tell me what you mean by upgrading the valve body, how much this would be, etc. i'm basically trying to do ANYTHING but a tranny service which is expensive as hell.

i was kinda hoping the tipchip would maybe solve my problem, but i found it only effects shifting when it's in tip mode.

ElSabio182
10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.levelten.com/products.htm

I haven't done that much research on it, but it's highly recommended once you start getting near 300 HP. "Bullet proof" once you get this installed.

Lou, I'd definitely get your fluid flushed if you havne't already.

TJHUB
10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by loustylez
you might have been having the same problem as me which i'm desperately trying to solve. my car doesn't shift smooth unless i really try... i dunno, hard to explain. i go in to quite a bit of detail in this thread.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97117&highlight=throttle+body

i would super appreciate if you could tell me what you mean by upgrading the valve body, how much this would be, etc. i'm basically trying to do ANYTHING but a tranny service which is expensive as hell.

i was kinda hoping the tipchip would maybe solve my problem, but i found it only effects shifting when it's in tip mode.

Why don't you start by reading this thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76340&highlight=level+10) and don't miss the link to an additional thread in my second or third post. That should be enough info to melt your brain. Let me know if you have any other questions. [up]

TJHUB
10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ElSabio182
http://www.levelten.com/products.htm

I haven't done that much research on it, but it's highly recommended once you start getting near 300 HP. "Bullet proof" once you get this installed.

Lou, I'd definitely get your fluid flushed if you havne't already.

This is not completely true. You should read the threads in my post above as well. There is no way the B5 Tiptronic transmission will be "bullet proof" with these upgrades...

ElSabio182
10-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Very good info, added to my bookmarks [up] Like I said, I'm no expert.

TJHUB
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ElSabio182
Very good info, added to my bookmarks [up] Like I said, I'm no expert.

Hey, no big deal. I'm no expert either. [;)]

loustylez
10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
that was good info... but i think i'm gonna go for the tranny flush. how much can i expect to pay at a shop would you guys say?

iowaboostin
10-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Roughly $100 with fluids, etc. It's around $80 here but I'm guessing KC would be a little bit more since bigger town = higher $ mechanics usually.

TJHUB -- I have a feeling you're gonna get sick of me once I do my k04/chip upgrade, you're going to get a LOT of Q's from me about the VB [:)]

TJHUB
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by iowaboostin
Roughly $100 with fluids, etc. It's around $80 here but I'm guessing KC would be a little bit more since bigger town = higher $ mechanics usually.

TJHUB -- I have a feeling you're gonna get sick of me once I do my k04/chip upgrade, you're going to get a LOT of Q's from me about the VB [:)]

Guys, I'd do your own transmission work. This is what I used:

Click Me. (http://www.blauparts.com/parts%20dept/driveline/f2/f2d/audi_vw_auto_transmission_atf_fluid_filter_change_ vag1924.shtml)

If you need a writeup of exact how to swap the filter and refill proper, I can email it to you guys. I just have to find it. It's an hour job at most. The only big deal is getting the high enough so you can work under it while still having the car perfectly level. I drive my car on ramps for the front and level the rear with jackstands. It's also a two person job as someone has to be behind the wheel when refilling. DAMN AUDI/ZF ENGINEERS!! [mad]

I'm surprised that anyone can do the flush for anywhere near $100.00. The kit from blauparts is nearly $100.00. Be warned though, when I did mine it took more like 6 or 7 liters. Just make sure you have enough. Also, don't mess around and just get either the oem fluid at around $17.00/liter from an Audi or VW dealer or the blauparts Pentosin stuff which is what I used. Blau uses the oem part number for the Pentosin fluid he sells.

iowaboostin
10-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm definitely going to do it myself.. I've never taken my car to a shop [:)] I've dug into a lot of transmissions, just never an auto and a german one at that. So if I run into problems I'll be back on here for sure. This won't be for a while down the road though.. need wheels/suspension/k04/chip/exhaust first, on top of maintenance.

10-27-2006, 10:24 AM
As you know, the torque combined with the slow factory shifting, heats up the ATF to a point where the tranny cant handle anymore and tranny failure/damage over period occurs.
Im only talking about auto/tips here.
Seems as though hondas are pretty bad. They tend to go bad after 50-75 more addition torque. I know im generalizing here but anyways. Domestics seem to handle more power/torque and Audi's seem to be inbetween.
Like any auto tranny, from the factory, they make em so it shifts smooth. Which makes the shift smoother but it stays inbetween gears longer because a quicker shift wont appeal to the average buyer. Anyways, the longer/smoother the shift is, the higher the fluid temps rise. Now the aftermarket companys like level10 and I think there is another company that actually does audi trannys raise the internal fluid pressure and makes the shift quicker which doesnt lead to the higher temp a factory tranny would lead to. This is assuming factory HP/TQ so even in the long run, the trannys usually dont go bad. But in our case with mods, the factory wasnt thinking of this much stress and raise in temp thus leading to tranny failures. I dont know how many ppl have had auto tranny failures due to high tq. They say 250? but I dont think i've seen anyone blow their tranny. I may be wrong though.
Anyways just like all auto trannys, companys literally drill holes or open up holes at specific locations thus modifying the valve body(its more involved but simple put). People call it valve body mod or for ford and gm's they call it shift kit. Basic the same principle though. Now this isnt bulletproof. The reason it will hold more tq is because is doesnt slowly engage into the next gear and keeps the temp lower by firmly changing into the next gear. Thats why if ppl say the audi tranny can hold 250tq, with the modified VB, it can hold more but only up to a certain point. I wish we had more options like stage 1,2,3 VB mods because ford/gm VB's can be done in stages.
Reading TJHUBs experience, it seems as though level10 makes it equivalent to a stage1 which is way better then stock.
Anyways I dont know what got me started here. Sorry I wrote too much but hope it explains a little.

cobyryan
04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
hey, terry--

who did you r tb update?

cobyryan
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
hey, terry--

who did you r tb update?
never mind---- one day i'll learn to read.......

TJHUB
04-19-2007, 02:16 PM
never mind---- one day i'll learn to read.......

Ok, glad I could help. [:)] If you have any other questions you can't answer on your own, just let me know. [;)]