PDA

View Full Version : soon to be newbie A4 1.8T owner...

barney17
03-26-2006, 03:38 AM
ive been a long time reader but just got around to registering probably because im gonna get my a4 on april 3 if everything goes well (financially) ...well i searched and didnt really come up with what i needed so i thought of posting here...so...the a4 is a 1.8T 5spd frontrak it has 33,000KMs the thing is i dont know if its a 1997 or a 1998 model... if this helps its still got the delta radio and the cup holders near the handbrake and its got the interior of the old 1997 c4 A6 2.6L if that helps heh....anyway i test drove it last saturday and when i started it up it came right up but while idleing it sounded like a toyota corolla not a regular a4...i dont know maybe it was some bearing or something...so i got the papers photocopied and took them to the dealer to get some info about the car and found out it was in an accident albiet "just" a fender bender but everything upfront was replaced even the windshield so i dont know if they're telling the truth...

so what would this sound be like a bearing thats out of oil?...BTW i checked the oil and it was half full and the oil still looks good... drove it and it pulls hard like i cant get my head off the head rest from 1st-2nd gear... oh it looks like it also has a minor oil leak and you can see it clearly when you remove the engine cover...

and could you guys post up some links as to where i can find some helpful FAQs about the A4? i didnt find the FAQs from AudiWorld quite helpful and these forums are more helpful than that AudiWorld site/forum...

BTW i already had an A4 1.8 A/T 2000 model...but sold it cause it was slow...and it had alot of KMs in it....i just cant find the info i need so i felt like posting hehe...take it easy dont flame...i searched already...

LateraLex
03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm confused by the last sentence. The 97 or 98 1.8T seems faster than the 00?

I'd try searching both forums with "A4 buying"

BTW it sounds like you already have your heart set on this A4 but it could be a diaster. Don't fall in love with a car before you buy it.

offroader1006
03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
yeah a m/t front track would be faster than an A/T

Eurotuned_A4
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
whats up in the philippines. i was there in december for xmas. anyways, it could be a disaster. i mean, the cars are expensive to fix here in the US. its probably more in the philippines. have you tried finding another one like it? i didnt see many while i was there so they might be hard to find. it has low miles so thats a plus, but who knows. will it be warrantied? if it is go for it...

barney17
03-26-2006, 11:55 PM
umm no it wont be warrantied...this is the lowest '97 a4 that i found, all the other ones were selling for the same price but with almost 90k Kms on the clock and i even saw a 1.8t qu M/t with 101k Kms that was priced about P900k(about $18k there)...this a4 im lookin at is priced at P500k(bout $9.5k there) so im thinkin this is a good deal...and this was the car that i found with the highest quality amongst the other a4s that i looked at...

yeah talk about hard to find an a4...haha...

BTW with you guys saying disaster what do you mean by that?? is there something likely to find in the car? maint. is a piece of cake...dads the sponsor haha and the dealership here is nice since they dont have any competition...

oh yeah..philippines...not much has changed...there was a state of emergency a few weeks ago but stabilized already so all is good here...heh...oh yeah...theres speed limits but theres no police holding radars so....no speeding tickets haha..

AElucky83
03-27-2006, 12:08 AM
im selling mine here in the US...look it up in the forums..you might like it

barney17
03-27-2006, 01:12 AM
well if i look it up...and actually like it and want to buy it, i cant coz im in the philippines...and i dont wanna be in trouble with the whole shipping, customs and tax issues here....heheh

LateraLex
03-27-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't mean to say your car is a disaster. These cars tend to spring up problems so you want to have as few as possible when you initally buy the car.

An oil leak and potential frame damage are not exactly minor issues so if you go with this car I would negotiate heavily on those points.

ianlionzion
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Is the car you're looking at a non-turbo, I know they have those models there?
The biggest issue with the turbo is the oil sludge issues as I'm sure you've heard/read about. Is the "while idleing it sounded like a toyota corolla" sound a loud ticking type sound?

btw. I was in Paranaque last year, in B.F., and I saw an nice A4 avant there.

brettuzzi
03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by barney17
the dealership here is nice since they dont have any competition...

No competition for the dealership makes them nice? [confused] That gives them the power to be assholes...

calbear
03-27-2006, 03:31 PM
small oil leak? i thought so too when i bought my 97 a4 2 years ago. turns out that the pcv system was clogged/cracked and the increased pressure led to my valve cover gaskets leaking and oil cam seals. i had to replace each of these items- slowly since i didn't know that the pcv system was causing the problems in the 1st place.

i also had an oil leak at the oil cooler/hose interface so small leaks can turn out to be quite time consuming as well as costly.

lastly, i had leak at the oil pan gasket since 97 were made a some inferior material. i started using 15w-50 mobil 1 oil and the oil pan gasket seems to have almost disappeared.

barney17
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
the a4 im lookin at is a Turbo model...im not sure though what "loud ticking" sounds like...coz i dont really know what valve tap sounds like...and well the dealership here is real nice...they dont screw you...if you want something fixed they will fix it until the problem is gone...they're really flexible and all... but i dunno coz this is the only dealer that ive had any experience at all...and they're really friendly haha i dunno why but BMW here they dont even let you hang out at the dealer the whole day...while audi here you can just sit all day and talk with your buddy...you can even talk to the owner and he's real cool and he has the 1 out of the 3 Carrera GTs that are going to be sold here....he's kind enough to treat me when we get to see each other so yeah...i think the dealer is nice here....[:D]

ianlionzion - i live in paranaque but not in B.F.....theres a lot of nice cars around here especially in that area but people really dont bring em out so when im around in that area everyone just stares at the nice c6 A6 that we drive around in as a daily driver heh...so nice to see people staring at you while you drive by haha... [hail]

calbear - yeap i think its a small oil leak...thats on the top right side of the engine just underneath the engine cover(if you're standing infront of the car) and i think its just some seal or sumthin...but as soon as i get the car im gonna bring it straight to the dealer and let them check it out and suggest that they check the pcv system....thanks for the heads up calbear [up]