PDA

View Full Version : Odd noise from rear wheel

LateraLex
03-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I just painted my front calipers and a new sounds has appeared from the rear of the car.

The sound can be heard only when the car is gliding. If I accelerate or brake no noise can be heard at all. The noise can be heard clearly in the cabin - as much when the windows are opened or closed.

The noise reminds me of when we use to put a baseball card in the spokes of our tires on our bikes. A choppy rubbing noise.

This is kind of frustrating because all I did today was jack up the front end and spraypaint. [confused] [confused] [confused]

offroader1006
03-25-2006, 05:19 PM
you didnt even take the wheel off?

LateraLex
03-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Not at all :(

AudiSnawb
03-25-2006, 05:49 PM
WTF? Hopefully you didnt trigger a control arm or something in the rear... maybe lifting the car just set it off, and it was on thr fringe to begin with... thats a weird sound though man!

LateraLex
03-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah Cory that's what I'm thinking. Very big pain in the ass because I am debuting the summer wheels tonight and this sound was not part of the plan [:)]

aberke
03-25-2006, 06:29 PM
ya i debuted my summer wheels/ultraperformance tires yesterday. guess what...IT ****ING SNOWED 4 INCHES LAST NIGHT. Havent had snow in like a month and a half. it was 60 degrees yesterday

LateraLex
03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Any ideas on what the clunking would be? I will get under there tomorrow to see if the tire rod is damaged but I don't know what to look for if it is a control arm or wheel bearing.

AudiSnawb
03-26-2006, 05:56 AM
well I know with the front end, what to look for with control arms is, jack the car up and if the wheel isnt stiff, and moves side to side when you take the tire and move it, then your CAs are bad, try the same with the rear.. its a good first step

LateraLex
03-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Right on. Also if the wheel tilts top to bottom it's the tire rods [up] Not sure about the symptoms of a wheel bearing though.

AudiSnawb
03-26-2006, 07:25 AM
I think they wheel bearing, you can hear a grinding sort of noise, not too sure though :)