PDA

View Full Version : guage cluster bulbs...

hoonee46
03-25-2006, 03:49 PM
So I have a 96a4 12v....
few of the bulbs were going out like after 130 on speedo, voltmeter, and then 0-30 on speedo..... For a while, a good knock on the dash made the 0-30 come back on, and then recently, it is permanantly out. I figured a few bulbs will do the trick, but I should swich a few bulbs around to make sure.... i switched the bulb for 0-30 on speedo with one from Tach, it confirmed that it was the bulbs.... so I decide to put it back together so I can buy the bulbs and replace them later.... so before putting everything back together, I twisted some of the bulbs a little bit, thinking it might help them get contact.. I made sure they were twisted to the right position.....

So everything is back together now, and I have LOTS of stuff out... CEL, fuel, entire speedo (all numbers and needle) ... I'm guessing I may have popped all of these while twisting the thing, but I was afraid it might be a problem with wiring... Anyone know if all those are linked together to a particular harness??

And also, when I take my cluter out, there's a metallic 'wall' behind it. This wall has many welding marks. Anyone else have these? just wondering cuz i bought my baby used.... Thanks for your time and input.

-Nam

A4ed
03-25-2006, 04:35 PM
how easy was it to pop the cluster out? I have a couple bulbs out....

hoonee46
03-25-2006, 04:47 PM
2 bolts. that easy.... pull off the piece on the steering column that covers the little rippled plastic cover... if that makes any sense.... lift off the ripple, and you'll see two srews, phillips. remove those, pull it out. few harnesses are connected to the cluster, so be careful not to yank at it... for the two main harnesses .. you have to pull out the pink piece in the middle, and the rest will pull out also... Good luck, and thanks for the HELP [:)]

jbrentd
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
i had 1 out on my 96 and when i started looking at them, a lot more went also. You can get them with the bases already attached at www.audi-parts-direct.com.

hoonee46
03-27-2006, 10:14 AM
thanks for the link!

onemoremile
03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
blauparts.com has a full kit available.

http://blauparts.com/featured_items/dash_bulb_upgrade.shtml