PDA

View Full Version : My first real issue with my Audi

jones3000
03-25-2006, 08:02 AM
My car has been pretty much flawless up to this point. Besides tie rod ends and control arms (covered by Audi) by car has never had any issues ...until now. My A/C clutch is going bad. It makes a very loud winding noise. And guess what, you can't just buy an A/C Clutch separately for the most part. Only Audi had it separately and their prices are ridiculous - even with my discount. You have to get it with the A/C compressor and it's not cheap.

Audi wants $616 for the clutch alone and
$1,100 for the clutch and compressor.[rolleyes]

ECS tuning is $778 or something for both.

The best price was autozone at $493 for both.

Anyone know where I can find a better price?

I decided I'm just gonna get both parts cause with the clutch going bad, the compressor isn;t too far behind. I also need a new radiator which was the cause of me leaking coolant. All in all it's not too bad but it's still a first and my car has been rock solid with 110k.[up]

Neo1130
03-25-2006, 08:33 AM
First off, there is no A/C fan clutch. The fan for the A/C is electric. Autozone had the clutch for the compressor for pretty cheap. Or just find a new compressor at an online junk yard...

jones3000
03-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Neo1130
First off, there is no A/C fan clutch. The fan for the A/C is electric. Autozone had the clutch for the compressor for pretty cheap. Or just find a new compressor at an online junk yard...
you're right. There is no A/C FAN clutch. But there is an A/C clutch.

http://www.carsteering.com/data/all_images/29-5071N.jpg
this is what the compressor looks like with the clutch on it (black part). Yeah I haven't checked with junkyards yet.

Crisqo
03-25-2006, 10:56 AM
got a sound clip of what it sounds like??

I think I have a similar noise.....

badassbaldie
03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
this is what the compressor looks like with the clutch on it (black part). Yeah I haven't checked with junkyards yet.

The only thing with getting one from the junk yard is you don't know what you're getting in terms of reliability. It would really suck putting a junk yard compressor in and it taking a S*** in a week, month, etc. IMHO, I would bite the bullet and buy new.

jones3000
03-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
The only thing with getting one from the junk yard is you don't know what you're getting in terms of reliability. It would really suck putting a junk yard compressor in and it taking a S*** in a week, month, etc. IMHO, I would bite the bullet and buy new.

yeah that's what I'll do.

AudiSnawb
03-26-2006, 05:54 AM
lets see, dealer.... 1100
autozone... under 500...

If you cant do the math and make a desicion on that, you have issues. Just buy it at autozone, its obviously about as cheap as you'll get it