PDA

View Full Version : ebay SS installed!

vitaliko
03-23-2006, 09:49 PM
impression: shift is a little bit shorter( i expected a little bit more) even with the shortest throw notch. Shifts feel harder and I wonder why, I did use plenty of grease and the bottom linkage was very loose (I even made sure to go and buy thread lock cos i didnt wanna tie the nut tight). I wonder wether its cos of the metal pivot and wether it will eventually break in.

Let me know what you guys think.

Install was a pain; had to take off the center console off completely, everything took me a very long time. If i did it again probably would take me only an hr.

It kind of dissapointing to get the opposite of what you desired (i was looking for an even smoother, more effortless throw) :O

Other guys who installed this shifter reported lighter shifts over stock

vitaliko
03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
I might reinstall it with the pushdown option so i can use the stock pivot if it doesnt break in soon enough :O

DDQ
03-23-2006, 11:11 PM
When i had my A4 I used the V&S shifter, and loved it. Huge improvement. I liked it w/out the pushdown.

vitaliko
03-23-2006, 11:52 PM
btw those who are having doubts: the quality of this shifter is just as good as B&M shifters (infact its a direct replica)

808_Bamboost
03-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Short shifters usually make it harder to get into gear if it shortens the height. The shorter (height, not throws) it is the more effort you will need to put into it to get it into gear. Go try out a Honda 6-spd shifter, those are smooth

bitterchild
03-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by vitaliko
btw those who are having doubts: the quality of this shifter is just as good as B&M shifters (infact its a direct replica)

lol

mike-2ptzero
03-24-2006, 05:56 AM
I have always found the SS's to have a notchy feel to them, which is why I have never put one in mine since that is something I just dont want while trying to shift as quick as possible plus the fact that the clutch pedal will always take longer then the shifter.

boostedup
03-24-2006, 07:18 AM
you say the bottom linkage is very loose, did you install the round bushing at the bottom?? because i did, and my SS is very smooth, just as smooth as stock but shorter shifts.

Poopie
03-24-2006, 09:47 AM
The quality is not like B&M. Its good enough for what you pay for though. Worth the $40 or so. The tolerances are much closer in the B&M unit and quality control. The ebay knockoffs let anything pass through. Its a good shifter, but if I was rich I would get a V&S or Stratmoshpere shifter. I don't think mine is notchy though. Still smooth and the throws are def 40-50% shorter.

vitaliko
03-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by boostedup
you say the bottom linkage is very loose, did you install the round bushing at the bottom?? because i did, and my SS is very smooth, just as smooth as stock but shorter shifts.

if you're talking about the two plastic bushings that go into the blue linkage in one of the three notches, then yes.