PDA

View Full Version : Whats this part, I think its ticking...(pic included)

A4Shizzle
03-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, I've noticed a ticking sound at idle that speds up with rpms and almost dissappears above ~2000 rpms. I think I've pinpointed it to this. (at back of engine)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/criesofthcarrots/just%20stuff/Picture001.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think its the fuel pressure regulator. I put a screwdriver on it and when I got my ear on the handle it sounds very loud compared to the rest of the engine (block, intake, cam chain tensioner etc...) The sound is like loud whoosing from this part. Think its bad, or is it normal? If any of you south bay AZers wanna listen and compare engines let me know. Thanks

A4Rob
03-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Thats your Fuel Pressure Regulator

black9918tq
03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
ahh cmon i thought this would be a tough 1.......yep its a fpr.......and the ticking means its going to blow up......jk

A4Shizzle
03-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Haha, sorry for the noob question. I just got this car last weekend and I'm still getting used to it. I would imagine there should be a whooshing sound with fuel going through it but would it normally be pretty loud and tick like I think its doing now? What is a good place to buy a stock replacement, I've been reading up and I really don't have a need for an adjustable one...yet.

On the other hand if thats not whats causing it, what could it be? The sound is definately in that general area. TB was changed 20k ago, and its had only synthetic its whole life; 5w-40 atm.

Thanks

BarryT82
03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Cam chain tensioner probably. They aren't cheap.

A4Shizzle
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow, I was realy hoping it wouldn't be that... I put the screwdriver on the chain tensioner I think, in the back of the head. It was a little louder than the any given point on the head, but it was more of a low rumble like the head. Maybe it just sounds like a rumble because its amplified, but it seems like its comming from the fpr or right under it. Of couse when I rev it up a little the ticking fades and I can hear a louder whoosing noise from the fpr. All of this is barely noticable when the hood is closed but if there is a problem I'd like to fix it.