PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump goin bad?

CaSp3r9
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Over the past several months my car has had a rough time starting maybe 2-3 times. Everything sounds alright and it runs/idles perfectly but once every couple of months my car will take a couple of tries (~5 seconds) and a few taps on the gas pedal to get it to fire. After that, everything is perfect, I don't get it. Although its only happened a couple of times, I've noticed that it always does it when my engine is still hot. Could this be my fuel pump going bad? My A4 is a 1998 1.8tqm with 113k - it had a rebuild by Sunset Audi at 89k. It's APR chipped with turbo-back exhaust, Forge DV, custom CAI and some other goodies... Thanks guys!

LateraLex
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
May be cheaper fixes to try first.

Have you ever changed your fuel filter?

CaSp3r9
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
It happened again like 10 minutes ago!![mad] Same scenario, I was out running a short errand. It took me about 5 minutes to finally get my car started[:(].

No, I myself haven't changed the fuel filter. I'm not sure when the last time it was replaced. I've only owned the car for about 9 months. I'll check out the filter tomorrow, hopefully it's just dirty or something. I'm starting to think that could be it, especially because I seafoamed my car 2 days ago. Could it just be some left over crud from the seafoam? If the filter looks fine should I seafoam again to make sure everything is real clean or is that a bad idea?

Has anyone had a similar problem or had their fuel pump go out on them?

makisupa
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I have just had the samething happen to me earlier this week, '98 1.8tqm as well...was going to take a look into it this weekend....now i know where to start hopefully. i got myself a treat for this weekend too....borla w/dp

Poopie
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I have 1998 1.8tqm and it happened to me a couple times. Are we on to something? We all have 1998's

CaSp3r9
03-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Hmmm.... suspicious. Have you guys seafoamed your cars or added any fuel additives or anything lately? I seafoamed mine a couple days ago. I hope it's just a filter or a dirty line or something inexpensive... I just did upper control arms, tie rods, and replaced a bent rear lower control arm, hub and wheel bearing along with some other stuff from hitting a curb while avoiding another car in a snow storm we had a couple weeks ago, it cost me $2,107. AWESOME. Being an 18 year old student, I don't exactly have money to burn...

Anyway... does anyone know what would cause this? Anyone at all...[confused]

Poopie
03-23-2006, 01:38 PM
I seafoamed awhile ago.

CaSp3r9
03-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Uhhh.... does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for or past experience with this same problem? Anyone at all....? Thanks.

Poopie
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
what kind of plugs do you use?

I have a few guesses. My coolant temp sensor is toast so I'm always reading cold. Is the coolant temp sensor linked to the ecu or is it just a for the guage? If my engine thinks its cold, it might try dump more fuel in the combustion chamber and fouling my plugs. Maybe this is why my gas mileage is kinda crapy.

CaSp3r9
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Hmm... No, I don't think they're connected. I think it's just for the guage. Mine did that too though but because my thermostat was stuck wide open, I replaced it a couple months ago. I use NGK BKR6E copper plugs but I replaced them like 3 weeks ago, so I don't think they're the problem.

Poopie
03-24-2006, 04:05 AM
I run the same plugs as well..hhmm...and nothing ever shows up when i vag my car. No cels as well

AudiA4_20T
03-24-2006, 04:09 AM
I think I know to stay away from 98 Santorin TQMs haha... Good luck man, I think my motor is toast now [rolleyes]

Poopie
03-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I figured out my problem. I noticed everytime my engine hesitates to start over it has a high idle and won't come down. It did that today and I popped to hood and I went straight to the thing that I knew didn't work, my coolant temp sensor. I wiggled it around and magically the idle came down as well. Maybe check that again?

cbass
03-24-2006, 02:22 PM
It really sounds like a bad/slightly plugged fuel filter. They're a PITA to change, but it's a cheap part so I would do it, especially if your car has that many miles on it. You can't really check to see if it's plugged unless you crack it open or try to blow through it (make sure you don't taste the gas). Then, while you have it out to do that, you might as well replace it anyway because it's so cheap and gets dirty fast if you're running seafoam/ fuel cleaners through the tank/system.

CaSp3r9
03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I'm going to change it next week... I'm leaving for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in like 6 hours for a week... [cool]

hoonee46
03-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Sounds like an ECT problem to me. Go to an Autozone, or something similar to that, and see if you're throwing any codes. Just because there's no CEL, doesn't mean you're not throwing codes. It'll keep getting worse, and eventually, it'll happen even when your motor is running.. so save yourself the trouble and change the sensor.

Poopie
03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't throw any codes except for my coolant sensor.

audiluver
03-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Have the same problem. Mine's a 97. I've changed fuel filter and coolant sensor, still does it.