PDA

View Full Version : Newsouth Powergasket installed

offroader1006
03-22-2006, 03:17 PM
just installed the powergasket plus for the AEB head.

Thanks to Eurotuned A4, A+ seller btw.

yesterday i ran the motor hard on the way home from work and the valve cover and coolant lines were too hot to hold, and the intake mani was almost as hot, couldnt hold it too long.

today was about the same temp outside, just a lil warmer and i ran it the same on the way home. the valve cover and coolant lines were just as hot, but the intake was barely hotter than my hand.

awesome difference for a low price[up]

Eurotuned_A4
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
glad you got it in already.

b00st
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
do you have any logs of a before and after? that would have been nice to see.

hand test does help to show its doing something. wondering on timing and IATs.

offroader1006
03-22-2006, 03:27 PM
i got it last night, went in today.

lol i couldnt wait, was dead today at work.

no logs from the old setup

mike-2ptzero
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
What is the point of lowering the temps of the IM if the head is still as hot?

k0mpresd
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
every little bit helps...

IKE20VA4
03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
^^ i guess it would be the point that gas(air) takes time to heat up to a certain temp.. and the longer you can keep it from starting to warm up to it's hottest point, the cooler it will be in the end. that was a really quick explaination...hope everyone understood. So basically if you have cool air going through a hot IM and then to a hot head, the air will heat up more than if you have cool air going through a warm intake manifold to a hot head. aka once the air reaches the head it won't be as hot as before.

mike-2ptzero
03-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Same goes the other way, less surface area to allow for the cylinder temps to decrease the higher the cylinder temps will be.

onemoremile
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
so you want the intake manifold to act as a heat sink?

mike-2ptzero
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by onemoremile
so you want the intake manifold to act as a heat sink?

It already does. Problem is that there is no real data showing what this product does to the cylinder temps.

audiluver
03-22-2006, 04:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing Mike. Sure the manifold is not as hot as it used to be, but why do you think it was hot to begin with...that heat has to come from somewhere.

k0mpresd
03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
so do some knock voltage and timing pull logs and see what they look like

most timing pull comes from knock which comes from excessive heat

durfA4
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Not an engineer at all but a question?

If the The intake inherently draws heat from the cyl head then will the cyl head heat up more with the Phenolic spacer?

and if it does on engines that all ready have oil sludge issues?

Is it a good idea"

The speed of the intake Air running through the manifold may not allow much heat transfer either way.

Like I said im not an engineer but does any one have any answers?

bitterchild
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
fluid transfer properties show us that the layer of air "touching" the manifold spends a significantly longer time in contact with it than the main stream in the center. that's it

durfA4
03-22-2006, 05:49 PM
So basically it does very little

except increases intake manifold volume slightly and decrease under hood temps.

My question still remains if the intake manifold was designed to transfer heat then would it be detrimental to cyl head life if it does not get rid of x amount of heat.

k0mpresd
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
it doesnt decrease under hood temps..well..im sure it does actually but thats not the point of it

keeping iat temps down is the point

mike-2ptzero
03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
But how does that effect IAT's if the sensor is measuring air coming into the manifold not what is inside it already? The IAT sensor sites on the very edge of the intake manifold and just behind the tb. This is why temps tend to go down in temps as you start giving it throttle since the air is then moving thru the tb and past the IAT sensor.

If your using this product to lower IAT's then it is really only going to do so at idle since the air entering the IM is what your measuring when the tb is open.

one8t
03-23-2006, 04:00 AM
I installed the NSP gasket about 50,000 miles ago, no long term problems. I have old data logs somewhere which confirmed IAT drop of about 8C.

I believe the way it lowers IAT's is not because the air passing through the IM is actually any cooler, but because it reduces heat transfer to the IM which affects the readings of the IAT sensor mounted in the IM. Lower readings, more aggressive timing maps, all subject to knock/retard adjustments

Ray Khan
03-23-2006, 07:26 AM

as I understand it, to fool the IAT sensor.

mike-2ptzero
03-23-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Ray Khan
as I understand it, to fool the IAT sensor.

Correct, but that is it. Plus it doesn't help any if the car is already pulling a good amount of timing.

ModifiedA4
03-23-2006, 08:47 AM
i think it helps with daily driving...

starting from a stop, the IM wont be heat soaked.
and as was mentioned, the IAT sensor might get a more accurate reading.

plus i like the idea of having electro-mechanical devices (the injectors and TB (DBW)) at a lower operating temp.

i installed my evoshield and also thermally wrapped the coolant cross pipe to prevent that from heating the IM.

the fact that without the IM spacer, the IM gets hot at idle and cool with throttle shows heat is removed from the IM via the intake charge. period.

Ray Khan
03-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Correct, but that is it. Plus it doesn't help any if the car is already pulling a good amount of timing.

I don't know about that as I haven't installed mine yet. I imagine it does more or less for the car depending on the ambient temps and the efficiency of the intercooler, but who knows. I'll be putting my intercooler on this weekend and then the evoheatshield somewhere down the line. I'll keep logging and see if there is any difference.

ModifiedA4
03-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't know about that as I haven't installed mine yet. I imagine it does more or less for the car depending on the ambient temps and the efficiency of the intercooler, but who knows. I'll be putting my intercooler on this weekend and then the evoheatshield somewhere down the line. I'll keep logging and see if there is any difference.

i doubt you'll see anything in WOT logs.

ModifiedA4
03-23-2006, 11:06 AM

i doubt you'll see anything in WOT logs.