PDA

View Full Version : tensioner chain removal

deicide100
03-22-2006, 07:40 AM
hey guys, i just got my car back from the machine shop(replacing bent valves and everything) and they forgot to put the half moon shaped seal on there. I went and got the seal but i can't slide it through so the chain for the tensioner needs to come off. I was wondering if there is a tool to take the chain off or is there a simple way to take it off? I heard from a guy that there is a bolt hole at the bottom of it and you just slide a 6mm screw in there and that releases the tension on the chain is that true? thanks for the help.

diegomatrix
03-22-2006, 08:11 AM
3366 vw tool

ebay item: 3851638212

you don't need to take the chain off iirc

prodrive
03-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I think you don't need any tool just pull out the belt from cam pulley :)

prodrive
03-22-2006, 09:41 AM
You mean the one below,this will help

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/7800/imag00042op.jpg

deicide100
03-22-2006, 10:15 AM
yeah that's exactly it. Sorry i wasn't clear,
It's the half circle shaped seal that needs to be put in, that's why the chain has to come off otherwise i couldn't find any room to slide it in place.

audispeed
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
how the hell did they forget that seal? thats not good!! i dont know, but to replace teh cam tensioner seals you really need to pull the cams out on the 2.8. i dont know about in the 1.8t because i havent done it on one. There is a special audi tool that is kind of like a bolt and is used to compress the cam tensioner, but you could probably figure something out.

deicide100
03-22-2006, 01:53 PM
that's what i've been freakin out about for the past 3 days. They did everything else right, the car started and was running smooth and right then we noticed it shooting oil out so turn it off right away and it's been sitting like that ever since. The biggest problem is everything is already hooked up on the car and the machine shop that did the job is an hour away from my house. So now if i can't figure out a way to get that chain off so that i can put the seal in, I'll have to get the whole car towed there which i really didn't want to do.

audispeed
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
are you kidding me? if i were you i would have the car towed there at thier expense and tell them to fix it right. presonally, i would sit there and watch these monkeys torque every bolt and replace every gasket because you know they will try to reuse the ones they just put in, but they cant do that.

robsilvr85
03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
its the shops fault. They should fix it and reimburse u for towing.

diegomatrix
03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
........do i hear echos? i already said you don't have to remove the chain to replace the seal...

get the tool i listed if you're going to do it. it allows you to compress the tensioner, creating some slack in the chain. then unbolt the cam adjuster and lift it up a bit. you'll have room to replace the gasket/seals then.

remember to mark your chain in case you moved them by accident. align the chain markings first before you begin. there should be 16 rollers in the chain between the two markings.

but since it's the shop's fault, you should get it fixed up at the shop and have them reimburse you.

deicide100
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
yeah i hear you, the problem with the shop doing it is that they don't even want to accept that it's their fault that's why i wanted to get it done here so that i don't have to deal with them.

diegomatrix
03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
well... it's really up to you.. if you're going to do it, make sure you have a bentley so you know the torque specs. you'll need sealant and new valve cover gasket set again.

personally..i don't know how they would be able to say that it's not their fault.....when you can plainly see a gapping hole in the back of the engine... hahaha...