PDA

View Full Version : just wanted to share my encounters with an M3...

b00st
03-20-2006, 05:11 PM
now i never expect to win when going against an E46 M3...this is the second encounter i had where it was a race between me and an E46 M3.

the first was me minding my business on the highway...i was going to make a 3rd gear pull on the highway to check about a boost leak on my DV. i'll skip past my boost leak issue and on to my M3 story. so i'm in 3rd gear at 60mph on the highway in the middle lane...i saw some HIDs in my rearview just a second ago. so i'm about to make another run to hear this fluttering noise coming from the front right. and i lower my passenger window and look over....there is this M3 sitting next to me. moving forward...on his nod we both hit it. he is in the right lane, and i in the middle....so we nail it...through 3rd gear...we are dead even...and i change to 4th....I'M STILL HERE.....still next to him...i need to change lanes as i see a car in his lane....so we both switch over and continue as we approach the top of 4th...he pulls ahead of me by half car. i switch into 5th gear and we continue...this is where i pulls to about 2 CLs and we kill the race around 125ish. to me i say not bad...i only have a K04....i thought i would have been beaten bad on the highway or really at any other point in time. i know they can run mid 13s...i can't run mid 13s.

and then tonight...i had another encounter. we started at 80 and this time i was dead even and we just ran through 4th....i didn't shift into 5th....my car doesn't make any power in 5th anyway and doesn't feel like much in 4th....but she seems to run. its no kill story but....i didn't think my car would ever be able to compete against them. the k04 PC16 file seems to keep up pretty good. and tonight i had my 18s on and full weight. i know i was lose more ground the further we go since he has 6 gears and i have 5 and 5th just sucks...at least when you got a k04. but still surprising to see that i can stay that close.

i also met up to run a FULL GT28RS on camera....terms were to punch it pass the flag man...we both creep at about 10mph till we hit the flag man and both hit it....i was slightly head in 1st...in 2nd it was about the same in not even....the camera man was a ways down...and by the time i passed him...my front bumper was at the back of his tire....which is 3rd gear and by the time i hit 4th and continued for a second or two before we both hit the brakes...my front bumper was at his rear....i say not bad for the k04 [up]

quattro8239
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I can't wait to get my pc16 installed...good job boost

salz2135
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
not bad[up] .

man, those e46 m3s are EVERYWHERE these days.

BarryT82
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
They must not know how to drive. The Gt28 must have shitty software or something. Good job though.

Ray Khan
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
wow.....that is a quick k04 car. You should run a log and submit a CAPS time.

b00st
03-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Barry,

they were fair drivers...sitting in 3rd is not hard and shifting...you can only go as fast as the car will let you.

as far as the GT28RS...you'd be surprised to know what software he's running. i'm not going to say though....not my place. point was that the k04 coupled with PC16 and the supporting mods is not as slow as people may think cuz its only a k04. that was the point. sure i still lost to the GT28...and would have continued to lose at that rate of speed as my k04 runs outta breath...but the ride seems to keep up pretty decent through the first few gears.

i run my brother in laws IS300 turbo...he's got 300rwhp/300rwtq. i can beat him depending if its a dig or highway run. obvisouly he shines better in one spot and i do in another. but he got mad power for 6.5psi. i've raced him prolly 20 times at all various speeds...end result is we are a pretty even match.

that is all.

4ingDrive
03-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Not much reason for you to spend all that money on a bt huh?

AudiA4_20T
03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
This totally reassures me how much I love my car and how much more I will when I go BT [race]

LaTenTConcepT
03-20-2006, 08:09 PM
good job [up] [up]

b00st
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 4ingDrive
Not much reason for you to spend all that money on a bt huh?

yeah....

the setup is pretty solid. will the BT in the end prevail. sure. but i didn't get the choice when my turbo blew. i actually tried to buy a PES T28 when my k03 blew out on me. k04 was the only thing i could get on short notice. T28's were like 6-8 weeks out...doesn't do a guy much good when his daily driver breaks down and needs to be at work.

but a k04 is no slouch either. would i like a 2871...sure. but i already have a k04 in...i'm done with the upgrades.

did you make it out to my dad's crib for that final install?

b00st
03-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ray Khan
wow.....that is a quick k04 car. You should run a log and submit a CAPS time.

i want too...i need 4ingDrive to come out with his vag and we'll do a log.

4ingDrive
03-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by b00st

did you make it out to my dad's crib for that final install?

Yeah, I made it out. Got him all hooked up and everything is working good. Looks a lot cleaner too.

Originally posted by b00st
i want too...i need 4ingDrive to come out with his vag and we'll do a log.

I have some free time this weekend if you want to come out here. I've been driving way too much lately.

b00st
03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
saturday i'm busy...but sunday may work for me...i need to resolve my ABS issue though as well and car needs to go in to body shop to have the body kit installed.

i don't mind driving out though....i'll figure something out and hit you up.

SoleMate
03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
wait until you put the body kit on, then you'll really pull on them [;)]

Wish I had a k04 pc16, with my FWD it'd be great for the highway

b00st
03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
with a BT though...instead of losing or keeping up with these cars....i may actually win. [:D]
but i'm still happy with the results regardless.

A4Rob
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
wait, you kept up with a 300 whp IS, and a e46 M3. WOW lets do some pulls. I'll be in chicago Friday morning... seriously, I wanna see your car

b00st
03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by SoleMate
wait until you put the body kit on, then you'll really pull on them [;)]

Wish I had a k04 pc16, with my FWD it'd be great for the highway

yeah thanks for the extra weight...i'm doing a weight ADDITION STAGE 3 here. maybe the rieger front bumper weighs less than stock?

i think everything i put on has added more weight now that i think about it. i think my milltek exhaust weighs more than factory. my rims are 9lb heavier in each corner. body kit....thank god the pieces don't weigh much.

i'm slowly sinking my ship. [:D] [drive]

b00st
03-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob
wait, you kept up with a 300 whp IS, and a e46 M3. WOW lets do some pulls. I'll be in chicago Friday morning... seriously, I wanna see your car

ummm...yes i sure can.

i've run him on the highway too...i've posted it before about running my brother in law's turbo IS300. on the highway....his shit is a BEAST. down low...the k04 shines. though my last race we did. we always did a roll at 70mph...3 honks and then we go. i used to drop it in 3rd gear every time....he would walk me by 5 cars or so when i did this....up to about 110-115. then i said f*ck it...and stayed in 4th. low and behold...i'm sitting next to him till 100mph....dead fvckin even....then i shifted at 5200rpms thinking that would keep me in the powerband and he walked away. still its a better result. i think around 40mph he kills me or maybe its 50. but if i start low...in my powerband...i kill him. its all about working your powerband. i pull him to about 2300-2500 in a gear and that is my prime...he not fully spooled to 3500-3600. so my goal is to catch him when he is not in his prime...he pulls to redline. sure from 0-100 would he catch me...yes...but he has to catch me. most of the time we left off at 75 to 80...and i'm ahead....from digs...from rolls...its give or take.

and yes...2 highway runs and i seemed to hold pretty damn good against the E46 M3. i have never beatin' one...but i can hold my ground....that to me is good enough. considering the 1.8L and k04 size. i think it does alright.

bitterchild
03-20-2006, 11:56 PM
so gt28rs... gimme the specs

IKE20VA4
03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
damn...that's cool to hear...

sushi_turbo
03-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by AudiA4_18T
This totally reassures me how much I love my car and how much more I will when I go BT [race]

I'm thinking the same but already have the K04 plus BT = $$$.

Ray Khan
03-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild

I would think the GT28RS was not at 100%. I raced a guy with a K04, I believe the p16 file and a racetec front mount a couple of years ago. He would pull half a car length in front of me as we started at about 40 mph in 2nd, then I would have him by 2-3 car lengths by the end of 3rd gear. This was back when I was APR stage 3, GT28R turbo. My car put down 222 to the wheels on AWE's dyno, the K04 car put down 205 or so the same day. I know my car is faster than it used to be right now, so I would expect a better result. Based on reults we've seen here so far with various cars, without the proper supporting mods and good software, you can't get the most out of a BT setup.

b00st
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild

why you need specs. it was on camera. does it really matter. i'm sure his car could be running better....and so could mine. he hits 17psi and i think he holds it.

b00st
03-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ray Khan
I would think the GT28RS was not at 100%. I raced a guy with a K04, I believe the p16 file and a racetec front mount a couple of years ago. He would pull half a car length in front of me as we started at about 40 mph in 2nd, then I would have him by 2-3 car lengths by the end of 3rd gear. This was back when I was APR stage 3, GT28R turbo. My car put down 222 to the wheels on AWE's dyno, the K04 car put down 205 or so the same day. I know my car is faster than it used to be right now, so I would expect a better result. Based on reults we've seen here so far with various cars, without the proper supporting mods and good software, you can't get the most out of a BT setup.

he not at 100% and i'm not either. i have a bad A/F ratio...runs rich to lean. boost leak. he has his probs to...boost leak i think. like i said. just my thoughts....thats how it happened. he may not be at 100% nor am I. but there are plenty of other cars to compare. that IS300 turbo pulls like a rape ape on the highway....if it could hook up better it can pull mid 13s without a problem. current tires doesn't let him....which is why we do higher mph runs. analyize this all you want. thats how it went down with about 20 people outside.
did i expect to lose by 3 cars....yup. did i. nope. we did ours from 10mph...not 40....40 is no good for a k04. i think we need to drop down to 30 maybe. i think 40 is the bog point. puts you to high in 2nd gear and to low in 3rd. i lost by a car at the end of 3rd beging of 4th and we slammed the brakes. it is what it is.

b00st
03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
oh and my other thought.

since his is a FULL GT28RS with divorced WG.
he is running the .86 AR (unlike the ELIMS with a .64 AR or the APR SIII). so the later spool vs. my quick spool....we did a short run as opposed to full 1/4 or longer. or highway run....so i think the run was better geared toward me and not him. sure he is having issues...but he invited me to run him....he hits 17psi and i was around 15 maybe 16psi and i taper off. he can hold it. he did win but up to 75 or 80...it was by a CL. (front bumper at his rear)

blacka41point8t
03-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I love my pc16. What do you boost at boost? lol.

b00st
03-21-2006, 12:29 PM
in the summer i'm at 21-22psi
winter...when its really cold sometimes between 14-15
in 40 degree around 15-16psi.
i the 60 about 18psi.
70+ i think is the full 21-22psi.
with my boost leak...that mofo tapers pretty damn bad. i will get a new dv for this spring.

awahl63
03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
wow sounds like the K04 is working out nicely for ya...would love to check out your car sometime

Don Supreme
03-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I took out a e36 m3 today... started from a roll in second (in the meat of my power band)... They let off by time I hit 5k in 3rd.... I guess there wasn't any point after that hahhaha.

BranCKY3
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Nice kills there... I killed a 300c Hemi the other night from a stop up to 75.. hah.

b00st
03-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by awahl63
wow sounds like the K04 is working out nicely for ya...would love to check out your car sometime

sure anytime...i go to plenty of meets
and whatever not just audi...i cruise with a few
guys. or you can catch me at renn-art...i'm around
there. holla whenever. my car is always a work
in progress which i hope to end after the body kit.

at least i hope it can end.................its a never ending money pit.
doctor said the mod bug bit me really hard. [:D]

TwentyValveB5
03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
b00st: what did you end up setting your FPR at?

how on earth do you see boost above 20psi? what N75 valve are you running?

what does your AFR look like?

what plugs are you running?

sounds like your car's running a lot stronger than mine.

b00st
03-22-2006, 09:18 AM
whoa...lots o questions.

i set it 4psi above 2.8 bar.
how on earth do i get above 20psi....dunno earth loves me.
stock N75
at time of dyno BKR6E's and i'm currently running BKR7E's
AFR looks like shit....

http://x11.putfile.com/2/5018472995.jpg

TwentyValveB5
03-23-2006, 12:10 AM
yeah, my AFR looks the same, remember? did you every change out your fuel filter?
i'm going to *try* to change it out this weekend and drop in new plugs; i guess we'll see how that helps.

b00st
03-23-2006, 08:34 AM
yeah i remember.
no i didn't....they said it was too labor intensive, its something i need to change on my own. its not worth the money to change it at some place.

yeah my plugs are at .028" BKR7E's at the moment...both 7E and 6E feel the same to me. when i dyno'd they were 6Es.

bitjockey
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
The other night leaving Sebring, I was playing around with my buddy's E46 M3 as well... same results, too. Midrange in 2nd we're pretty damn even through 3rd, as soon as I shift into 4th its over, that thing has LUNGS up top.

I can also feel the power just disappearing as my stock IC gets heat soaked, too.

bitjockey
03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Also- is audiworld down for anyone else??

MR VTEC
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bitjockey
Also- is audiworld down for anyone else??
audiwho... [confused]

4ingDrive
03-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Audizine was down for me for a little while.

Eurotuned_A4
03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
yeah, audizine has been acting wierd lately. anyways, there was a honda and a magnum coming up on me on the freeway. i could hear them coming and i looked in my rearview. they were racing and right as they passed me i downshifted and caught up pretty damn fast. they stopped and the magnum tried to race me. i let him have it and i couldnt even tell he was racing....lol. i put on the breaks and he passed me like he was tough or something. i dont even think he had the hemi though. he could barely pull on that civic. if only i could get an m3 to go against[drive] [race]

b00st
03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
my worse loss in the history of owning my car was against a turbo civic, did better against a z06 that i raced than this civic. and i only raced this one....cuz i beat a different one very badly.

things i noticed in retrospec. he was facing the opposite way of my car...so his front bumper was facing towards my rear....had i seen his front and the BUSMOUNT INTERCOOLER he had on there...i might have reconsidered it right there. then there was the greddy E-01. real nice expensive piece of equipment. and losing by at least 5 cars to 70 or so....before i gave up. then we pull to the light....and i asked....so what did you spend? 20k invested vs my 2k at the time. (i wasn't even pc16...not that that would help the situation) he had multiple boost settings on there.....high boost was 25psi. i still said his car was dog shit to his face and to buy a new one. it was an older 95ish civic. they were teenagers just cruising around everywhere looking for races. then one day i'm with my next door neighbor...he has 30k invest in his motor alone on a WRX. we ran into that same kid....story was different this that...and poor civic boy lost. and my neighbors rex is an auto. the civic did have a well built motor...body wasn't in the best shape...still decent but it was black and not very well maintained. oxidized...etc. no rust but didn't look that stellar.

but i didn't think it was out of line to keep up with an E46 M3....never said i won. i mean....its not Drew's M3 i'm racing. mainly stock m3 with maybe exhaust that adds 2hp. though they are still fast...a properly supported k04 and nicely running.....can keep up with them through a few gears. 4th is pretty much a loss and 5th is nothing...at least when k04....maybe your 2871 guys can do something in 5th gear.