PDA

View Full Version : getting into an audi!

blarue09
03-20-2006, 11:11 AM
hey, i am interested in getting an audi. i was looking at a 2000 a4 2.8T quattro. I dont know much at all about these cars but im wanting a fun to drive, awd, preferably turbo car. i had been interested in imprezas but the audi seems like a better bang for the buck. could you people out there that know everything there is to know help me out with info on the a4s and what i should be looking for when buying one, what to stay away from and anything other advice would be great! thanks

blacka4
03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Umm...be parpared to spend a lot of money on servie and general upkeep

DDQ
03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
FYI - There's no such thing as a "2.8T".

If you run some searches in the B5 A4 forum, you should find lots of buying advice.

EC Motorwerks
03-20-2006, 12:40 PM
My car is for sale. Click here. (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85188)

AudiA4_20T
03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Everyone here pretty much loves their Audis. Like someone said up top, lots of maitenance. But, they are easily tunable for big hp (for the 2.8 S/C, and BT for the 1.8T)... O and the AWD is amazing, you wont be dissapointed

tkarwin
03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
I would go 1.8t. It is a great driving car out of the box, and there are plenty of little things that make that experience all that much better.

geeboyjibber
03-20-2006, 01:20 PM
i would say that imprezas are more bang for buck. but, audis always look nicer that's why i have both.

SoleMate
03-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Where in BC are you?

drlandry00
03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
make sure when looking, if the milege is above 60-70k ask if timing belt was done, ask for records of oil changes, see if any suspension work was done like control arms tie rod ends, ask about wheel berings, make sure if 5 spd clutch is acceptable, all gears work, check interior things like heat, ac, make sure all interior lights work, seat heaters, leather is in good condition, check under drivers side rug for moisture, check trunk for spare, moisture.

get the 1.8t engine if you can, better engine and more modable..

audis are great cars, I (knock on wood) havent had to spend tons of money, like other said on my audi, it has been good to me.

best of luck.

Dave

sushi_turbo
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Good luck on finding your car. Like everyone said, the 1.8T engine is more tunable than the 2.8L. I love my Audi and as long as you keep up with the necessary maintenance, they are fantastic. Plus there is no other car that you can get for the SAME money as a B5 A4.

blarue09
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
thanks to everyone for the responses. how much service/maintenance are you talking about? and are audi's as expensive to fix and maintain as most german cars?

and i am from kelowna, for whoever asked.

Poopie
03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
audis are pretty much like BMWs as far as service goes. Its gonna cost you a VERY shiny penny if something goes wrong.

nramsey
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Pretty much all cars worth having from a performance/technology perspective are going to be a bit more expensive in the maintenance department. Turbo engines, individual aluminum control arms, all the interior electronic doodads etc aren't going to last for ever and when they do need work it aint cheap. That said the cars for the most part are pretty reliable if you take care of them.

I figure you've got to pay to play, and I'm ok with spending some money in repairs/maintenance if the car is going to make me smile when I drive it, which this one does.

boostedup
03-20-2006, 05:46 PM
1.8T QUATTRO manual is your best bet

like other said make sure timing belt was done if over 70,000miles. Also, even though maintenence is expensive, if your handy with tools, alot of the work you can do yourself cutting down on costs ALOT .

BEER MOD
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Like said before IF your in no hurry try to find a 1.8T Quattro with a 5 speed you'll love it....ask me how I know [:D]

A4 - Oh Snap
03-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Get a certifiedf pre-owned to be on the safe side.

AudiA4_20T
03-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Poopie
audis are pretty much like BMWs as far as service goes. Its gonna cost you a VERY shiny penny if something goes wrong.

I dont agree, I guess I could be wrong but my friend says hell never buy a BMW again because of maitenance and stuff that goes wrong. I dont know many Audi people that say that and hes into cars. Our maitenance isnt that big of a deal except for the timing belt

boostedup
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE]I dont agree, I guess I could be wrong but my friend says hell never buy a BMW again because of maitenance and stuff that goes wrong. I dont know many Audi people that say that and hes into cars. Our maitenance isnt that big of a deal except for the timing belt [/QUOTE

2nd that, DIY and it's not that bad. Everything else is just general wear and tear parts like any other Make or Model of vehicle.

Poopie
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Well yeah, but if you take your car to the dealership its gonna cost you. BMW guys aren't really into DIY's.

drlandry00
03-20-2006, 07:34 PM
umm, any car will cost you a fuckin arm and a leg.. it depends on the problem..

drlandry00
03-20-2006, 08:08 PM
umm, any car will cost you a fuckin arm and a leg.. it depends on the problem..

nramsey
03-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I second the DIY. That goes for any car. Buy a good set of tools, Bentley manual, and VAG-COM and they will more than pay for themselves once you do your first timing belt job or your check engine light comes on.