PDA

View Full Version : GUNK!! need some help here...

zlam27
03-19-2006, 11:11 AM
yesterday when changing the plus on my 99' 2.8 quattro i broke the vacuum hose that goes from the left valve cover towards the back of the engine. i taped up the crack for the time being and after driving 20 miles i noticed that at a low constant acceleration the car would surge and it felt like it was misfiring or something. check engine light came on...

today i took off the hose and noticed that it was half clogged up with yellowish goo and the plug into the valve cover was almost completely clogged with black/brown soot.

do i have some serious issues here or why is everything go gummed up? should i replace all the crappy plastic vacuum tubing or what? can i just use some high temp rubber or silicon hose instead of the "wire loom" looking OE crap?

i need some serious help here. do you think the issue with the misfire/stutter was a vacuum leak or could one of the plugs be bad (took out NGK plugs and put in new bosche platinums with 2 electrodes - got at walmart [rolleyes], yea i know, just for the time being).

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. i have pics ill post up too.

zach

AudiA4_20T
03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
You have goo going into ure Vac line? That sounds really bad I have no idea. Im sure some 2.8 guys will chime in here

zlam27
03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
i have goo lining the vac line from the valve cover to the ?throttle body?

the elbow coming out of the valve cover was almost gunked shut. should i think about investing in a catch can or something because this cant be right/good...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/zlam27/Audi004.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/zlam27/Audi002.jpg

I NEED OPINIONS [confused]

audispeed
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
normal ... thats the breather hose. they become especially brittle on the 2.8. its basically a running joke with the s/c guys that when you buy your supercharger you should buy one of those because that hose is so brittle it is almost impossible to get the s/c in without breaking it. the gunk is normal. clean it out a little and replace the hose. if you look back by the throttle body you will see that you cant just use a regular rubber hose or soemthing because of all the other hoses that come off of it. just stick with an oem peice.

zlam27
03-20-2006, 08:32 PM
actually i replaced it with some rubber heater hose so i could use my car for these next few days while i wait to get the right part. i think we could retro-fit something better on there for less than the cost of the new hose i need ($75 from ECS!!).

cant we create some sort of silicon hose replacement for all the vac lines??

audispeed
03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
proably could, i stuck with oem. Go to autozone, they have both hard and flexible rubber vac lines. i just recently replaced all of mine with them.

zlam27
03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
ill have to check around and see if i can find some thin-walled silicon vacuum lines to retrofit somethin on there. $75 is just rediculous for the stock part.

anyone running a catch can? my question is WHY so much junk, just from the direct injection or what?