PDA

View Full Version : Component speakers

murph013
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Okay, another speaker question (us damned newbies)...

Anyway, I have decided to tackle replacing my speakers (since i think I just killed my fronts today), and from doing some searches have come to the conclusion that some components are my best bet (which was the direction I was headed in, anyway).

What I'm planning right now is to replace my fronts with some 5 1/4's, and do some new ones in the rear (prob. 6 1/2's), my question though is will this sound good without doing an amp at the same time (anything more than just the speakers and I don't really feel confident doing it myself).

Keep in mind my basic goal is to have something that sounds good, not perfect (not yet, at least).

salz2135
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
whether you amp or not probably depends on the speakers you decide to go with. some really nice speakers like infinity don't sound good unless you pump them up with power. I suggest reading some review online regarding specific models you're interested in.

don't forget that you're going to need adapters to fit 5 inch speakers in place of the OEM 4 inch ones.

murph013
03-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the reply...

I've already found a couple of posts regarding the adapters, and found them already, the search for speakers will be my main issue now.

I hear a lot of things about different speakers, but most of the time don't know what kind of setup they have them run through.

Anything specific or in general I should look for in a speaker that might be an indication I would need to run an amp for it?

808_Bamboost
03-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Get Alpine Type-R's. Easy to find and they sound great even on 20W from your deck. They have 5.25" components and 6.5" coax for the rears. I have them attached to a old phoenix gold 50x4 amp and they just get louder while response is the same.

onemoremile
03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
look for high efficiency. that means that it takes less power to do the same amount of work.

also look for good off axis response from both the mids and tweets. this isn't like a home setup where you sit in the line of fire.

small crossovers are a big bonus when working in a car like this.