PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

Insanehatter
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Im going to be rebuilding my engine in the near future and need some help.

Where can I get all the parts needed?

Head Studs/Bolts, Gaskets, Timing Belt.. and whatver else I need.

I am going to throw new pistons (forged) in as well. Along w/ forged Rods.

Im going to rebuild the engine than put a bigger turbo on later.

Could someone give me a "shopping list" and a price?

Dont count in the labor, I just want parts.

Eurotuned_A4
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM
i think matrix has those type of parts.

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 03:15 PM
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84561&highlight=internal+options

Insanehatter
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I've read that post, and know of scat, toga, and pauter rods... but my question is what gaskets, and belts and other things...

Im not just interested in the internals factor. I need to know the information for a complete engine rebuild.

I'm going to price it out, so I can buy it peice by peice, then have a mechanic I know rebuild it with the parts. Im thinking Wiseco Pistons and Scat Rods.

4ingDrive
03-17-2006, 11:05 PM
I've got oversized Wisecos in mine. Ecs has a kit with most everything you need.

onemoremile
03-18-2006, 09:16 AM
most of what you want is right here:
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/topekits-audi1.html

$599 Major Engine Kit:
Contains complete gasket set, set of pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, balance shaft bearings (if applicable), and a set of expansion plugs.
Does NOT include: camshaft, timing kit or oil pump!

piece by piece will probably cost you more money than purchasing a kit. just add the couple of extra items to the kit and you are all set. if you source and purchase everything seperately you will also have a lot of seperate shipping charges and significantly more or your valuable time invested.

Insanehatter
03-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks, I have a request into them about adding Wisecos and Scat rods to the kit. Hopefully it comes out well.

onemoremile
03-18-2006, 06:00 PM
that $599 kit says it comes with pistons. i find that a bit odd since i've seen stock pistons at around 800 a set. the stock AEB pistons have 20mm wrist pins and will work with aftermarket forged rods. they are forged and hardly the weak link.

from here: http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/topekits-audi1.html
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/18tenginebuildwithaftermarketrodopt.jpg

aberke
03-18-2006, 06:24 PM
so ive been thinking about rebuilding my engine as well. i'm 17 and have done all my auto work myself, including timing belt, replacing turbo, radiator, intercooler, and i have the bentley manual and engine work comes pretty easy to me. Do you guys think i should be able to do it by myself?

onemoremile
03-18-2006, 08:53 PM
buy a second used engine and rebuild that so you aren't pressed for time. that way you can be sure things are done right. when you swap the engines you just clean up the old one and sell it for what you paid for it's replacement.

Insanehatter
03-18-2006, 11:20 PM
929$ for that kit, plus $329 for rods, then another $260 for a timing belt kit,

1518$... hmmmmm

bitterchild
03-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by aberke
so ive been thinking about rebuilding my engine as well. i'm 17 and have done all my auto work myself, including timing belt, replacing turbo, radiator, intercooler, and i have the bentley manual and engine work comes pretty easy to me. Do you guys think i should be able to do it by myself?

no. get some experienced supervision/guidance.

to the thread starter, I would stick with the oem head gasket (new of course) and a new set of oem head bolts. They have no problem holding cylinder pressures beyond 500hp. Head studs are generally a superior design but don't fix what's broke right? If you must, ARP is the headbolt supplier.

Edit: stick with every stock part you can, basically the rod/crank bearings. I would personally keep the aeb pistons w/ new rings and a set of scat rods. If you want to splurge, more power to you. Just stick w/ stock bearings. Get rings to match the pistons and make sure you figure out the bore issue. Wiseco's come in every 0.5mm but I've heard them charge "custom" pricing on some. They should be off the shelf though. Talking about thr 20mm pin of course.

aberke
03-19-2006, 10:06 AM
way to stomp on my dreams bitter

AudiA4_20T
03-19-2006, 10:28 AM
haha... I would talk to Tom Ritt too... If anyone saw that post he got a motor with 20k on it for like $2k and rebuilt his motor that he obliterated pretty much. He did it all himself so he can probably shoot u a few pointers