PDA

View Full Version : turbo timer and testpipe installed

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 06:34 PM
my engine is WAY better with the testpipe. the spool is faster because i no longer have the stock cat. im not to sure on how earlier the spool is, but i can definately feel it. i when im in low rpms and dont downshift i can see the boost climing faster as well. definately a good mod. my engine is now complete[:D] [up] [az]

anyways, i have an HKS turbo timer and the led is modded red to be the same as the dash. it matches perfect. i had it dont by a guy here on AZ a while back, but i never got it installed. so where have people mounted there turbo timers. right now mine is just hanging out waiting for a spot. i was thinking about fabing my own holder(like a gauge pod that goes on the steering wheel thing). i think it would look good. if you are wondering my turbo timer is the same size as the greddy.

on top of all this i also got my rosstech key-usb today. i paid for the real deal and its working. i gotta get logs this weekand.

awahl63
03-16-2006, 06:41 PM
nice which test pipe...I'm guessing ATP

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 06:59 PM
yup 3" atp

Poopie
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
you spend too much money. What year is your car? I have my greddy III set up in that flip down covered cubby hole in my 1998. So slick and I can close it to hide the timer too. When i need to impress the ladies aka my mom and grandma, i pop it open and WHAM! and they are like "oh snap!" and then they are like "hey, thats not what time it is"

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 07:19 PM
lol, pretty funny. i have a 98 and i want to put it in that spot. how hard is it to put the turbo timer there? what do i have to take out to get access to running the wire there?

i also was to impatient and told the place that installed it that i would go back later because my key remote doesnt work with the turbo timer on when i try to lock the car. i dont want to have to go back. how can i fix it?

Poopie
03-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Its easy, pull the cubby hole out. Just takes a little force, then you have to trim the back a little bit to fit the wire harness plug through. Then use a coat hanger to fish the wires. down. If you hold a light down by the knee bolsters you should be able to see some holes to run the wires. Do you have the wire going to the fuse cut and re run through and inline fuse to the 75x post?

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
im not sure. i didnt wire it up. i figured it would be easier for someone else to do it. its no biggy that i cant use my remote to lock the car while the tt is on, but if i can diy myself to fix it i will.

Poopie
03-16-2006, 07:38 PM
its easy. look at step 5

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 07:44 PM
step 5 in the greddy tt install im assuming....ill check it out

Mr_You
03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Not sure this applies to your timer (sorry), but I was thinking about getting an Apexi timer and putting it on the drivers side of the emergency brake console area. Not sure how difficult it would be but looks like it would be perfect. Don't think I'll mount it fixed though, will allow some play to clean easily.

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
im alos thinking about just cutting a whole in the knee bolster that tt would fit in perfectly. it seems easiest since i wouldnt have to rewire and all that. plus i think it would look good.

Poopie
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
That would apply to all TT's. It just allows for the central locking system to act normally. Seriously, stick in the that cubby. You installed your own big turbo, This should be cake for you.

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah i know. i could do it, im just trying to think of other things. i looked at the DIY for the tt install and at #5. there are no pics. have any at all that would help me out?

salz2135
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
hey euro how's the sound difference with that test pipe.

Eurotuned_A4
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
actually i meant to talk about that. with my neuspeed the difference isnt that big. lower rpms the sounds is exactly the same. higher rpms its louder, but still not bad at all. i was a little worried about how loud it would be, but its not bad.

Don Supreme
03-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I am stock exhaust and its not loud at all............

Shoot but in first gear @ full throttle the friggin' turbo HOWLS hahahha

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Eurotuned_A4
actually i meant to talk about that. with my neuspeed the difference isnt that big. lower rpms the sounds is exactly the same. higher rpms its louder, but still not bad at all. i was a little worried about how loud it would be, but its not bad.

wierd. i have a labree test pipe with neUsPEED downpipe and exhaust and i don't like the sound. it is incredibly cool at idle and great for get togethers but when relaxing or cruising with my wife it gets obnoxious. some days it seems louder and some days it seems much smoother.

Don Supreme
03-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
wierd. i have a labree test pipe with neUsPEED downpipe and exhaust and i don't like the sound. it is incredibly cool at idle and great for get togethers but when relaxing or cruising with my wife it gets obnoxious. some days it seems louder and some days it seems much smoother.

Maybe you have a leak.

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Don Supreme
Maybe you have a leak.

absolutely not. that's the wierd part. i went through it and found nothing funny. i even gave it the cigarette test. blew smoke at all the connections to see if the smoke blew away. it didn't.

either way, i have a labreee hfc waiting for a warm day to install. laying on a 20 degree garage floor just sucks. after much searching i have found that nobody has felt a big increase going from a hfc to a test pipe. seems like the hfc give you 90% of the TP benefits without the pollution or noise. sounds perfect to me.

ceas
03-17-2006, 08:03 AM
i have a 98 and i'd like to see pictures of where this turbo timer is mounted!... i'm not sure where since all the pictures online are of 99.5+

Eurasia_1.8T
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
pop out drink tray in the dash...duh.

Poopie
03-17-2006, 11:32 AM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec98.shtml

I'll try and put some pics up later

Eurotuned_A4
03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
sweet.

b00st
03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
common spot is that drink holder that comes out in the dash.

i personally hate all that clutter with gizmo's...i have mine walled up inside the fuse panel. using the just set it and forget it. i use 30 seconds for chicago winters and 1 minute for summer.

its just too much stuff with radar detector, gauges, GTECH PRO COMP....makes the interior to distracting. i personally go for the clean, less clutter interiors.

Eurotuned_A4
03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
thats why i dont want it in the little hole(where newer cars have a cup holder). ill figure something out soon. maybe ill try to fab something with fiberglass since i have to practice before i do my box for the sub

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
i just stay off boost for the last five minutes of my drive. it is nice on the car and it is free.