PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM freeware

aberke
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
what are you able to do with the VAG-Com freeware. i need to change a ECU from tip to manual and cannot afford the full-version of vag-com. does anyone know if you are able to do this with the freeware version?

also- does anyone know if the car is driveable with the ecu set-up for the oppositie transmission, even for a short distance so i can take it somewhere to be changed?

aberke
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
come on now, please

4ingDrive
03-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't believe you can recode with the free version.

aberke
03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
how bought driving a short distance so it can get recoded

werksmini
03-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Just get the full version, if you search around you will find ways around paying.

HighDesertAudi
03-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Damn man were in the same boat and town. Ive been driving around for 2 weeks with a Chipped ECU coded for a tip. Runs fine just throws a CEL because it cant communicate with the TCM i dont have ahha

mike-2ptzero
03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by werksmini
Just get the full version, if you search around you will find ways around paying.

Isn't it like $95 for the lic to get a code to unlock it? If so that $95 is well spent for what you get for that software since it will come in handy for many years to come.

I am running stand alone and still have my USB hex-com laying around just incase I need it.

badassbaldie
03-16-2006, 08:07 AM
If you can't afford $95, you shouldn't be driving an Audi...

buck
03-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
If you can't afford $95, you shouldn't be driving an Audi...

I didn't know that rich people are only allowed to drive Audis!

aberke
03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
baddassbaldie go fuck yourself, i just had to buy a chip for 400 dollars and can't afford to go right out and spend another hundred. im kind of limited in budget seeing as im 17 and still in high school. you're the reason audi drivers are given a bad rep

badassbaldie
03-16-2006, 09:12 AM
I didn't know that rich people are only allowed to drive Audis!

I don't remember saying that you had to be "rich" to own an Audi, Did I? My point was if you can't afford $95 then you shouldn't drive an Audi because maintenance, upkeep, and parts are much more expensive then your typical car. I'm sure 99.9% of those on this forum will agree.

baddassbaldie go fuck yourself, i just had to buy a chip for 400 dollars and can't afford to go right out and spend another hundred. im kind of limited in budget seeing as im 17 and still in high school. you're the reason audi drivers are given a bad rep

As for you "YOUNG MAN", those are pretty strong words from someone whose been on the forum for only 2 months. Am I (Are we) supposed to "feel sorry" for you because you are 17, still in high school, and driving an AUDI? Maybe you've heard the term, "Champagne tastes on a beer budget?" If not, I'm hoping you have enough common sense to figure it out.

I do suggest that you have a little more respect for those on here and "control" of your emotions. It is immature comments like yours that give 17 year olds in high school on a limited budget a bad name.

EVIL-AUDI
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM
I didn't know having $95 made you rich. Kinda sad

98Black30V
03-16-2006, 09:23 AM
You think cash is hard to come by now, in high school?? Wait until you're in college driving an Audi... it gets worse my friend.

badassbaldie
03-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Now that's funny...

boostedup
03-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by werksmini

frostracing
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Does anybody actually know how to "get around paying"?
Also, I think it is stupid to take shots at a 17 year old high school kid who is actually worried about how much something cost. A lot of my friends in high school were given nice cars and didn't give a damn about how much anything cost. Talking about what someone can or can't afford is never a good idea.

mike-2ptzero
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Just pay the cost since it is something someone put time and money into designing. Would you like it if someone didn't want to pay for something you put time and money into?

buck
03-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI

ha - smart ass

aberke
03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
alright, so all of you keep saying just get teh full version, just spend the money. the sole reason i asked if it were possible with teh freeware version is because it is the simplest and most cost effective way to get my car on the road, on my budget.

as for you baldie, find one word in my statements suggesting sympathy. the only reason i said im in high school is because it limits the time i can put into making money. Also, i never said i cant afford the upkeep and maintenance of my car its actually why i can barely afford to chip my car, i do well for myself and my car, its not your place to say i don't.

Because ive been on this forum for two months does not suggest that i know nothing about my car, and i do have respect for most people on here, just not you

beejohn
03-16-2006, 04:04 PM
there is a website with a list of people who have a vag-com. people on aw know about it.

ask one of them to code the ecu for you, audi owners are nice people.

AudiA4_20T
03-16-2006, 04:04 PM
God this has to be the dumbest fight Ive ever heard...

Aberke how about you just go on the "VAG Locator Database" and find someone close to you. You call them, they come over, fix ure problem... Problem solved.

Total Price=$0

Im 17 and in high school too and I work for my shit also but whatever it has no relavance. Yea it sux working for stuff but Ive DIYed so much stuff already, simply for the fact that I dont have cash. However, I know 10x more then the rich kids with evos and STIs at my high school who use mommys credit card to pay for the shop costs. So whatever if things need to get done there is always a way.

aberke
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
ya i agree with you. i pay for my own shit to. i did my own tb, replaced my turbo this weekend, replaced my cat, radiator, intercooler. i know more about my car than a lot of people twice my age. You're not the only one...

also, theres one person on the forums who lives in my area, who does not have vag, no one will drive 3.5 hours from portland to vag my car.

AudiA4_20T
03-16-2006, 04:54 PM
there are never any g2gs either? Around here there are always guys with them at g2gs

4ingDrive
03-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by aberke

That's pretty harsh for someone suggesting that a $95 tool is pretty much a necessity for b5 ownership.

You had to have the go fast $400 chip but then bitch about the $95 to maintain your ride...pathetic. If you talk about budget, you should learn what that word means and budget money for the maintenance you will need to perform on you car.

Not trying to be a dick but you should think about what you type before hand.

Nor1824
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I got my A4 when I was 17. I spent 1.5 yrs searching/saving money to get one and I am glad I did. It has been a great car for over 3 years of ownership. I've learned a lot too and been able to DIY on many things. The problem I have is that Ross-Tech is a small company and works hard to bring us the software. I cannot justify stealing from them even if it is $95. There is a reason there is a software fee: it is very easy to make a Vag-Com cable. Having a software fee ensures Ross Tech stays in buisness. They work very hard to bring up their technology and to improve it. Do yourself a favor and work hard for another $95 and buy the software or drive three hours if you need a recode that bad.

Poopie
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Ross-Tech is right down the street from me. Small company and isn't asking very much at all for what they offer. I think the $95 is worth it alone just to do the window roll down mod and the door lock mod.

aberke
03-16-2006, 08:47 PM
you wanna point out exactly where i suggested stealing the software??

Originally posted by Nor1824
I got my A4 when I was 17. I spent 1.5 yrs searching/saving money to get one and I am glad I did. It has been a great car for over 3 years of ownership. I've learned a lot too and been able to DIY on many things. The problem I have is that Ross-Tech is a small company and works hard to bring us the software. I cannot justify stealing from them even if it is $95. There is a reason there is a software fee: it is very easy to make a Vag-Com cable. Having a software fee ensures Ross Tech stays in buisness. They work very hard to bring up their technology and to improve it. Do yourself a favor and work hard for another $95 and buy the software or drive three hours if you need a recode that bad.

4ing- im pretty sure i didnt bitch about paying the 95 dollars in fact, the start of the thread was simply to find out if it were possible, there was no question of whether its worth it to get the full software. also, the software has nothing to do with maintenance...

for all of you that are trying to convince me that the software is worth it, I KNOW IT IS. and i would and will buy it, all i wanted to know was what was included with the freeware

LateraLex
03-17-2006, 04:11 AM
aberke - Here's how the forum works.

If you ask a question that you could have answered yourself you are bound to take a little flak for it.
Don't take it personally and try not to be rude.

LateraLex
03-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Try searching for "vag freeware" and in 10 minutes you will have answer.

EVIL-AUDI
03-17-2006, 04:17 AM
aberke

Clean it up. Personal attacks are not condoned.

Ben@SpeedBarn
03-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Yes you can re-code for manual/auto tranny with the unregistered free version. You can also do the windows mod as well. It is also possible to drive with the wrong tranny code. Although putting a manual ECU in an auto will give you some more issues with drivability than going auto to a manual car.

onemoremile
03-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI

[=(] [=(] [=(] i could use an extra 95 bucks. i'm sad...[=(] [=(] [=(]

aberke
03-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Ben@SpeedBarn
Yes you can re-code for manual/auto tranny with the unregistered free version. You can also do the windows mod as well. It is also possible to drive with the wrong tranny code. Although putting a manual ECU in an auto will give you some more issues with drivability than going auto to a manual car.

wow that was the most helpful information i have recieved yet

if i could have answered the question myself, why would i have created a thread?

LateraLex
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Because you are lazy

aberke
03-17-2006, 08:51 AM
than i apologize that this thread was a waste of your time

LateraLex
03-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I do it all the time. No worries man.

HighDesertAudi
03-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey man I finaly got my vag hooked up, im using the shareware with an ebay cable. It sucks though i dont have a serial port on my laptop so i had to move my PC into the garage to do it. I just recoded my ecu for a manual. So if you want i could recode yours on sunday.

aberke
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
well i probably wont have until next weekend but i will definetely contact you, it would be awesome if you could do that for me